Hitachino Nest Espresso Stout | Kiuchi Brewery

kodawari.cc

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Added by BeerBeing on 07-20-2007

Ratings: 1,000 |  Reviews: 421

Pours deep dark reddish brown to black, but looks opaque black once it's in the glass. One-finger light brown head with moderate lacing.

This beer does smell like espresso as you would expect. Heavy roastiness with a coffee grounds aroma. Also some well-toasted bread aroma. None of the anise or licorice aroma you so often get in a big stout.

Taste and feels a bit like a cappucino. Very roasty! Very little hop bitterness. The sweetness and alcohol are balanced primarily by the espresso roast flavors. Milk chocolate flavor too. Earthiness could be hops, but it could be the coffee too. One interesting flavor is a grainy wheat or rice like flavor mixed in that I didn't expect. Not sure what to make of it. For me this flavor detracted a bit from the experience at first, but as I got to the end of the beer I started to see it as a flavor that distinguished this stout from others and I enjoyed it.

Creamy mouthfeel, like a cappucino. Pleasant roast aftertaste. The alcohol is fairly well hidden.

Interesting coffee stout that substitutes for actual coffee nicely for someone like me who no longer drinks coffee but loves coffee aroma and beer.

I picked this up at Hunger ‘n’ Thirst recently and with the chill air and the return of Standard Time, this seems like a good time to drink it.

From the bottle: “Japanese Dark Ale Brewed With Coffee Beans”.

I Pop!ped the cap and began a heavy-handed pour that set off a pseudo-cascade that settled into three-plus fingers of dense, foamy, deep-tan/light-brown head with stunning retention. I just sat back and let it dissipate on its own, even though it took a while to happen. Color was Opaque/Black (SRM = 44), allowing ZERO light penetration. Nose was powerfully redolent with Espresso coffee and my mouth began to water. Mouthfeel was creamy and I was reminded very much of Coffee ice cream while drinking it. The taste was more than simple coffee, however. It was very dark, rich and roasty, quite evocative of Espresso. I was getting amped up drinking it, which was appropriate since I was anticipating Sunday Night Football between the Browvens and Th’ Stillers. Great sticky lacing lined the length of the glass. Finish was dry, bittersweet and a real case of truth in advertising. My my.

Hitachino Nest Espresso Stout from Kiuchi Brewery