Hitachino Nest Espresso Stout | Kiuchi Brewery

kodawari.cc

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Added by BeerBeing on 07-20-2007

4.68/5  rDev +18.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.65/5  rDev +17.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.64/5  rDev +17.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

330ml bottle served into a tulip glass

Look: Dark - pours a deep, deep brown with a couple of fingers of tan/khaki head with considerable staying power. Some lacing left behind. Head diminishes fairly quickly to a thin, tan-coloured foam cap.

Smell: Again, dark - dark roasted malts, dark roasted coffee and deep, dark chocolate. The smell puts me in mind of a really good 90% cacao chocolate. Overall, a mighty fine combination of coffee and imperial stout characteristics. This could be a good one ...

Taste: Oh dear God, this is delicious - I've had a number of coffee/espresso stouts of late and up until now Bad Seed Espresso Stout was pretty much the high water mark. That has just changed - this is an absolutely delicious melange of roasted malts, dark chocolate and coffee flavours with just the right amount of alcoholic burn. Absolutely divine.

Feel: Quite dry, although that's not entirely surprising given the flavour profile. About par for the course as far as stouts are concerned although a bit heavy compared to, say, your typical IPA.

Overall: Well now, this was a surprise - there's more to Japan than sushi, Kirin Ichiban and weapons-grade weirdness. This Japanese take on an Imperial Stout puts me in mind of my first thoughts on Japanese whisky - you think it's going to be a pale imitation of the 'real thing' but in reality it ends up knocking your socks off. Absolutely stunning - I think there's a new favourite in town.

4.63/5  rDev +16.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

4.62/5  rDev +16.7%

4.61/5  rDev +16.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.61/5  rDev +16.4%

A - Pours with a medium brown head one finger tall. The body is black with no light penetration. The head hangs on for a couple of minutes before settling to a raft of big bubbles in the middle of the glass and leaving a nice ring of lace clinging to the walls of the glass.

S - Strong aroma of chocolate, cherries and espresso. Subtle hops in the background with some minor yeast notes.

T - It begins with the flavor of bitter, dark chocolate, followed by malty sweetness. The espresso flavors come in the middle and are balanced by a moderate, velvety hop flavor. The finish is all malt bitterness, with chocolate and coffee flavors melding to produce a flavor very similar to a chocolate covered coffee bean.

M - Fairly thick body, with moderate carbonation and just enough sweetness in the finish to keep the bitterness from becoming overwhelming.

D - Wow, this may be the best coffee beer I have had. The aroma is simple, but robust and immensely enjoyable. The flavor is nicely balanced and brings out the best in the coffee. I am not much of a coffee drinker, but the beautiful character of the espresso in this beer could really change that. Easily drinkable and one hell of a coffee stout.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

From a brown 720 ml bottle. Opaque pitch black in appearance, practically impermeable to light. Tall creamy mocha head that eventually settles to a very sticky cap with gashes of lacing.

Rounded char and espresso notes on the nose, treacle, some licorice, slight alcohol.

Intense robust flavours, roasted and char malt, sweetens a bit in the middle like cappuccino, clean smoky and earthy finish and aftertaste, rounded coffee grounds.

Full-bodied but not thick, smooth and rounded.

Very enjoyable, an amazingly approachable Imperial Coffee Stout, they get points for both approaches and pulling them off. A stout that everyone should seek out, I know I'm gonna get my fill while it's still available.

4.6/5  rDev +16.2%

I have been in search of a dark beer made by an Asian country. Now I know that technically Russia and India fit in that description but I am talking about Eastern Asia. I have had many beers from this region but non that were dark. Now there may be a ton out their as I never really went on the web and searched. My searching consisted of my frequent trips to sushi, Mitsuwa grocery stores, or one of the noodle houses. When I would check the beer I never saw any dark beers; so when I found these from a Japanese brewery I had to them. I can't wait.

So popping this thing open and pouring a glass; I still cannot believe what I'm seeing. A medium sized tan to mocha colored head forms at the top and never really dies down. For pouring out so dark I was surprised that there wasn't more of smell. I was getting worried that this might be a precursor to the flavor. I take my first sip and wow. This is one of the most coffee tasting beers I have had. The bitterness is well matched with the coffee. The flavor is great and I'm very satisfied. The mouth feel is relatively light considering its darkness. Once again making a fool out of my assumptions.

I really like this beer. I wish it was being sold in packs instead of singles. When I say singles I don't mean in the 22 variety that would be fine. I'm talking about the sad state of affairs when you can only pick it up in 12oz singles. This beer is very much like Japanese cuisine. Japanese food is always cooked in a way that lets the flavor shine instead of heavily seasoning to beat the food into submission, and this beer reflects that. I can pick up a 12oz bottle for $5.22. I know kind of a weird price?!

4.6/5  rDev +16.2%

I love this beer! It is like crack cocaine, very addictive. Espresso and Beer, 2 of my favorite things in life, in a single beer.
This is a beauty of a pour, dark and slighly short of syrupy, in a good way. It is thick but does not fill your mouth, like a Guinness does.
The head is toffee brown, dark caramel color. It does taste like espresso, nit an imitation type either. There is no hint of artificial flavoring at all.
I would drink this by itself or with a dessert. It might even go well with a filet, covered with red onions in a port reduction and stilton cheese. In other words: sweet but tart and a hint of bitter.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Strangely, I cannot find this anywhere in Japan. I was very excited - and surprised - to see it at Discount in Milwaukee.

Appearance: Purple-brown-black, totally opaque but for blackcurrant highlights. Restless coffee-stained beige head settles into a smooth, sticky cloud with very good retention.

Smell: Kahlua, tiramisu first; then fresh-roasted cofee beans, chocolate syrup, cocoa powder, lush and sweet caramel, toffee, subtle fruit notes. Calvados and oranges come to mind. Hops lend a very slight peppery/herbal spice, oh, and I just noticed roasted peanuts and honey! Mmm.

Taste: Excellent Bursting with coffee, chocolate, milk, brownies, coffee ice cream, and espresso. Savory, too, with just a touch of sweet (amakuchi) soy sauce. Floral honey abounds as well, plus a surprising light touch of fruity red wine. Malty as hell but well-bittered with burnt notes and cacao and tangy citric hops, which clean up the finish nicely.

Mouthfeel: Soft and smooth, thick and syrupy, yet somehow clean.

Drinkability: Awesome. Not a hint of the 7.5% ABV, just pure, sweet, coffee goodness. Strong but not aggressive, smooth but not boring. Seriously... is this the best brewery in the world?

4.59/5  rDev +15.9%

4.59/5  rDev +15.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

4.58/5  rDev +15.7%

Had a bottle of this at FFF brewpub and poured into an imperial pint glass.

A - wow this was one beautiful stout when poured into the glass. It was a deep chocolate brown color with light golden rays of light streaming through it as well. Had a nice very espresso colored head that was very fluffy and creamy looking and reminded of the froth on a latte. The head stuck round for the whole beer and left a ton of lacing down the glass.

S - the first note that you can pick up on even as just pouring the beer is the smell of pure espresso beans. It reminds me of walking into a coffee shop for the first time. Also gets a whiff of a caramely sweetness in there as well and after awhile one could easily convince themselves that they are smelling a Caramel Maccahiato from Starbucks. Just the kind of smell one expects from a coffee beer.

T - the taste was not as coffeeish as I would expect from the smell as there are actually more sweeter notes in the taste than I picked up in the nose. Of course there is a nice roasted espresso taste in there but there was also a bit of chocolate and caramely sweetness in there as well which balances out the coffee flavor and prevents the beer from having a bitter coffee taste. The aftertaste was a bit more of the roasted, dark bitter coffee taste that one expects when sipping espresso and reminded me of the coffee dominance of this brew.

MF - The body was a bit light for the style of beer in my opinion as I wish it had just a bit more thickness to it. The after feeling I felt was a bit grainy in the mouth which made me wonder if little bits of the coffee did not get filtered out. In that aspect the beer had the MF of a coffee brewed by the press method. Interesting feeling esp. the graininess.

D - have to say I was super surprised by this beer. When I sat the little owl on the bottle I did not expect such a flavor explosion as I got in this one. This beer is a coffee lover's dream and really it was super drinkable as I felt I could have this beer to wake up with and drink with breakfast, as a nice accompaniment to an Italian meal or chocolate cake or even by itself as a wonderful after dinner drink. Good job to this brewery and hope that they have some other wonderful surprises waiting around the corner for me.

4.58/5  rDev +15.7%

Wow, seriously thick dark pour. Big foamy dark tan head. Heaps of lacing and stability. Low carbonation, pitch black. Excellent.

Coffee aroma at the forefront. Dark chocolate and roast.pillows of sweet maltiness arise as it warms.

Big malt, roast and bitterness. Mixes well keeping this big beer interesting. Complex yet accessible. Smooth and balanced. Just enough sweetness in the finish to ward off palate fatigue.

Wonderful mouthfeel. Smooth without being too heavy and filling. One can easily become two. Nice.

4.57/5  rDev +15.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.57/5  rDev +15.4%

This beer pours dark black but not quite opaque, with almost no head whatsoever. Dark red highlights around the edges.

The first thing that truly stands out is the aroma. Very much fresh brewed coffee, and little else. Very roasty, but with strong undertones of sweetness. The taste is just as good as the aroma. Very strong bitter espresso flavors which are balanced out by the sweetness of the malt. There's little hop flavor, but possibly some undertones of vanilla. The bitterness and sweetness are in perfect contrast to each other.

Mouthfeel is lacking a bit due to the low carbonation, but due to this the body is reminiscent of actual coffee. This is definitely the best coffee beer I've had so far. I rate drinkability a little on the low side because the flavors are very strong and there is a quite a lingering espresso aftertaste. Overall this is a fantastic beer, definitely good for a cold night, or anytime for that matter.

4.54/5  rDev +14.6%

Nest! You've done it again! Seriously, this is one of the most underrated breweries out there.

A - It looks great; perfect stout, pitch black with a mocha-tan persistent head and tons o' lace

S - It is surprisingly not very aromatic. A vague creamy maltiness is all, perhaps a lil hop.

T - Wow. Huge flavor. Chocolate, vanilla, smokiness and char, cinnamon and chicory, just a plethora of rich and complementary flavors. Chocolate is huge, vanilla is big, coffee is there on the finish with a bitter acridity; this is just phenomenal.

M - On the thinner side for the style, but very well-apportioned.

D - I already love Nest. This beer was so much better than expectations, however. Awesome.

4.51/5  rDev +13.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.5/5  rDev +13.6%

Poured into a highball glass

A: Pitch black with a rich, dark gold head that settled at about 1-2mm. Decent lacing.

S: Lots of coffee with some chocolaty sweetness and soya sauce-esque scents.

T: Deep coffee notes with touches of chocolate and a slight maltiness. Slight touch of citrus can be detected. Aftertaste is mostly sweet and chocolaty with hints of citrus.

M: Decent to thick with slight carbonation.

O: A very nice stout. Very mellow and quite balanced without getting boring. Very comforting aftertaste. Definitely a beer I would have more of.

4.5/5  rDev +13.6%

Bottle: Poured a deep black color stout with a nice foamy head with good retention and some lacing. Aroma of espresso coffee is gorgeous with some notes of roasted malt also noticeable. Taste is a well balance mix between some roasted malt, nice black chocolate notes with some lactose also noticeable. Full creamy body is perfect for the style with no discernable alcohol. I must admit having been surprised by the creamy body and the nice balance between all the element in this beer.

Hitachino Nest Espresso Stout from Kiuchi Brewery