Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Hitachino Nest Sweet Stout (Lacto) | Kiuchi Brewery

Hitachino Nest Sweet Stout (Lacto)Hitachino Nest Sweet Stout (Lacto)
3.05/5
Okay
Hitachino Nest Sweet Stout (Lacto)Hitachino Nest Sweet Stout (Lacto)

Kiuchi Brewery
Japan
kodawari.cc

Style: Milk / Sweet Stout

Added by purplehops on 07-01-2002

1.16/5  rDev -62%

I have to say up-front that, compared to the other reviews of this beer, I suspect I have a sour bottle. Still, the review stands - if Kiuchi is going to ship sour beer, then I'll review the sour beer.

The appearance is *very* dark, with a tiny brown head that fades before you can put down the bottle. The nose is of the brine from green olives -- seriously! The taste is similar, dominated by a sourness and I could swear a bit of saltiness. I can barely make out some burnt maltiness.

I'm a fan of sweet stouts for their almost syrupy texture. This beer doesn't have any of that - it's very thin. This is consistent with a soured batch, as lots of critters other than S. Cervesiae will happily devour lactose.

I'm not sure I'll finish this bottle, and I'm certainly not tempted to buy another, so I can't give it anything above "Awful" in the drinkability category.

2.82/5  rDev -7.5%

split a 21oz bomber with the family

A: pours dark brown, sounds like a soda on the pour, the head is also soda like that it lasted for only a few seconds and maxed out at a finger or so. it was dark brown foam.
S: not a strong thick aroma, rather thin, minimal sweet malt and a bit of coffee.
T: just lightly sweet milk. a bit of grain. very basic flavor.
M: thin and watery for a stout. doesn't linger at all.
D: can be drank but just not enjoyable. flavors are there just not as potent as they could or should be.

2.16/5  rDev -29.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Share a bottle with my wife the other night. This beer was a HUGE disappointment. Beer is black and still, no carbonation no head no lacing, nothing. Bummer.

Aroma is a roasty, sweetness. Smells fine.

Beer is way too thin, almost no flavor, the primary flavor is ashy and dirty. There is a minimal sweetness up front but I really dislike this beer.

3.26/5  rDev +6.9%

This pours a nice, translucent black colour with a smooth, creamy tan head.

Dull aroma with light notes of roast and chocolate.

Smooth, sweet and malty with just a hint of lactose. It's pretty average.

The medium-full body with low carbonation is fine.

This is okay as a beer but not all that exciting. There's also a slightly odd note to it that I don't really like.

2.14/5  rDev -29.8%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

A- Body is deep cola brown. The head fizzled out before I was even done pouring. I got some light colored chunks in mine as well. This looks like a pop rather than a beer, the consistency looks like water.

S- Well at least it smells like beer, as mild as it may be. Smells a bit like sour milk actually. The roasty aromas are so mild and really difficult to pull out. There's a bit of chocolate as well.

T- Again, it's just so plain and boring. Nothing really stands out. Just like the nose.

M- I just can't get over how thin this is, feels absolutely nothing like how this style should be.

D- It's to bad I got 3 more of these, I won't be drinking them.

2.3/5  rDev -24.6%

Another sample @ Arp's Birthday party. Dude loves his Japanese beers ;)

This one looked promising when presented. Dark brown/black, but lacking the head or lace I would expect from a lighter stout.

Smell is interesting. I'm getting the sweet lactose right away, but there's a weird maltiness too. No real roast or stout-y characteristics. I swear I got a bit of spicyness, almost some cedar chips.

It's all downhill once this beer touches your lips. I hate, hate, hate short reviews w/o any real details, but I have to plead guilty here, partially because I took crummy notes and mostly because I'd rather not waste my time reviewing beers that suck. Weak lack of any real stout flavors. Sweet is not the word I'd use, more like slightly sour and woody. Too thin.

Would not drink again unless my throat was on fire.

2.02/5  rDev -33.8%

A - a good bit of Ted on the edge, but huge rootbeer like bubbles in the otherwise creamy head.

S - stout like, but bitter and almost a hint of sour.

T - no. There is a sweetness to it, but the flavor is bad. It's like the mystery Japanese snack that you wonder why they sell.

M - mild coating and bubble burn.

D - pass.

3.35/5  rDev +9.8%

This brew pours a dark as night cola hue with decent carbonation that leaves behind a mocha laced two finger head that quickly dissapears to leave a layer of froth across the top,the smell is a mix of aromas of milky coffee and roasted malts,it has an average mouthfeel which should be definately thicker in my eyes and exudes tastes of dark milky coffee,roasted malts and finishes with a slight tiny tinge of bitterness but not as much as i was expecting/hoping,overall its definately an easily drinkable beer but it does have certain let downs in my eyes the first being its very low ABV and the second is its very light mouthfeel and i think if these 2 things were sorted out it could be right up there.

2.8/5  rDev -8.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

Thanks to Jim at Sherbrooke for a bottle of this. From a 330 ml brown Japanese stubby bottle, states 4.5% abv on the label.

Pours out a dense opaque brown, tall frothy tan head that slowly settles to a thick cap and chunky rivulets of lacing.

Aroma has a character of cafe au lait, coffee notes from the dark malt, and sweet dairy from the lactose content.

The flavour is more reminiscent of a porter, dark dried fruit, sour woody notes, and an uncanny milky sweetness. Faint coffee, but no roasted notes. The lactose is quite off-putting, reminds me of condensed baby formula, and there is no real serious malt backbone to keep it in check.

Mouthfeel is medium-bodied, low carbonation, full at times yet somewhat slick.

The lactose just turns me off and kind of grosses me out. I've brewed with lactose and know that when used properly it can add a nice extra element to a stout, but it is simply too overwhelming in this beer, even without it I would barely recognize this as a stout for the lack of any roasted malt.

2.58/5  rDev -15.4%

Appearance was a couple shades darker than a typical stout and the head was nonexistent.

Smell was strange due to a lack of roastiness, coffee or any flavors one may look for, in a stout.

Taste was good, but not what I expected. Sweet is not accurate. This is a good sour stout.

Mouthfeel was strange. Hardly any carbonation gave me a watery impression.

Drinkability was missing. It was so sour that I could only take a small sip every minute or two.

2.11/5  rDev -30.8%

Poured into pint...

A: pours an opaque, deep murky dark brown with some light coming through around the edges, topped by a big latte color head, which fades pretty quick to a thin creamy layer, and leaves no lacing

S: chocolate chip cookies, dark chocolate with oranges, and maple syrup, with a mettallic caramel and burnt sugar aroma. very cloying

T: upfront a coca cola sweetness, with chocolate cake, and overly rich sweetness, with a woodsy, sweet red wine finish.

M: light-medium body, way too light for the style and my liking, light carbonation, and off dry finish

Overall, not what I expected from a sweet stout. Off-putting sweetness plagues this one from aroma to taste to finish. Glad I only got one, as I would not want another

3.6/5  rDev +18%

A- opaque with a thin-ish head that was quickly dissipating

S- heavy on the sweet side, darker malt prominent

T- coffee, leather, the sweetness coming through as prominent

M- more thin than other stout cousins, but for a milk stout just fine

D- sure, at the ABV I could drink a million or slightly less

When compared to memory with other breakfast/milk/sweet stouts I have had I do not think this is any worse than other labels, but at about $5 US where I buy--- well I could get similar for not as expensive

2.99/5  rDev -2%

Sweet Stout (Lacto) | 330 ml. | 3.9% ABV | 2010

Brewer: Kiuchi Brewery
Style: Milk / Sweet Stout
Glass: Pint

Appearance:
Dark cola brown with virtually no head or lacing. Somewhat disappointing actually.

Aroma:
Roasted malts, dark caramel, lacto sugar

Taste:
Malty and oddly milky tasting. Definitely sweet, but in a very naturally -- i.e. not artificially sweetened -- way.

Mouthfeel:
Thin for a stout. It languidly rolls across my tongue.

Harmony:
meh.

Price = $4.99 at Whole Foods

2.91/5  rDev -4.6%

A: Poured from a bottle to a pint glass. Had a brown color and a mostly thick texture. There was a half inch of creamy, off-white, fairly long-lasting head. Not much lacing.

S: Not a very powerful smell, but did have traces of milk, malt, and coffee.

T: An incredibly thin, watery taste, with only the faintest hints of coffee, milk, and malt. Suprisingly bland.

M: An average amount of carbonation with a super dry finish. Medium-bodied.

D: While this beer has its good points, mainly it's a disappointment. Kiuchi is capable of much better. Not that drinkable.

3.34/5  rDev +9.5%

11.2 oz. stubby brown bottle served cold into a lowball glass.

Lacto is very dark brown in color and the tan colored head settles almost immediately. It basically looks like a flat coke.

Aroma is sweet and full of roasty malt. This part seems just right for the style.

Flavor is a bit odd. At first it seems like a very light porter. Given it's dark color, I was expecting much more in the chocolate malts flavor but it's so mild. Milk stouts usually are, I understand, but this one is even more so. Then the weird part - it tastes like someone squirted a little lemon juice in there before bottling. It comes through right on the finish of each sip but it's a strange (off?) flavor that I wasn't expecting.

Mouthfeel is lighter than most stouts with a effervescence that seems wrong for the style. Finishes sweet so I doubt it was a champagne yeast but that's what the mouthfeel is telling me.

Overall this is a confused and confusing beer. It's probably worth a try but, given the price, I would never buy it again.

3.6/5  rDev +18%

A - Dark, clear, coffee color, with dark rich mocha-blood coloured head. Some lacing and some continued carbonation

S - Very inconsistent, but at the time of this sampling. It was great. I wanted to give it a 5. It smells just like whole wheat bread toasted and covered in butter.

T - Not that fantastic. Some nice simple roasted and sweet tones. Not special

M - Creamy, they make some good proper stouts

D - If it weren for thewildly inconsistant nature of this brewer I would saw they are great

2.66/5  rDev -12.8%

This beer doesn't have much aroma, but what it does have is slightly sour and stout-y. The taste is similar, with dark coffee flavors and a sour aftertaste. Being mildly lactose-intolerant, I poured most of this beer out, thinking it wasn't worth the possibility of a stomache ache.

2.19/5  rDev -28.2%

Pours black into a pint glass with no head and no lacing. Smells really funky. Lots of sourness, that's about it for the nose. Taste is sour as well, with some dry cocoa in the finish. The cocoa is the only redeeming quality in my opinion. Body is average at best with a bit too much carbonation. Funky, yet boring stout. I have no desire to ever drink this again.

3.75/5  rDev +23%

Funky little beer with a low ABV and a slightly sour finish. Nice roasted malts and some chocolate notes with the slightly sweet finish which is true to the style. I like the sourish finish as it works with the sweetness. Interesting beer as it is a style you don't often see around

2.4/5  rDev -21.3%

Appearance: black in color, 1/3 inch head, opaque

Smell: cream and malt

Taste: burnt malt, sour milk-especially near the end, sugar, semi-sweet chocolate

Mouthfeel: light bodied, sweet, some sourness which does not work with the style, high carbonation

Drinkability: I am not a fan and will pass on in the future. The sourness is a bit too overbearing for the style. When you mix that with the background sugar sweetness, the beer does not work. Way different for the style-not bad if you want just to try a sour beer.

2.68/5  rDev -12.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Yawner. Especially for this beer style. Poured with a short but enduring tan head and good lace. Aroma is mild of malt, roastiness, caramel, and chocolate. Flavor's about the same, but with some tartness and funkyness. Body is thin and ok carbonation. Not one of my favs. Cant see it as a session.

4.13/5  rDev +35.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

I have to say I actually really did enjoy this beer, it pour a very dark black in color with little to no carbonation and a slight white head. Its smelled of roasted malts and espresso, nice yet not overwhelming nose. I actually very much enjoyed the flavor to this stout. Nice sweetness and malt, a lot of roasted malts and sweet coffee and hints of chocolate. Very well balanced and not off putting in anyway. Mouthfeel was medium bodied soft and smooth. Overall drink ability on this was actually great and I liked this as a really nice session stout if money was no option. Its only at 4 percent alcohol and the flavor does not seem to suffer much from this at all. Overall this was more then I would have been expecting from a Japanese stout. This is one I would seek out again and think would go great with a good meal or to drink as something that wont get you bombed. Would be a good beer to have out when you would still have to drive later and dont want to be getting a dui with out sacrificing flavor in the process.

2.37/5  rDev -22.3%

It poured with a finger of deep-tan head with good retention. Nose was dank with notes of molasses, prunes, and dark chocolate. Color was a deep, dark brown with only cola highlights at the edges. Mouthfeel was medium with a slightly sour dark chocolate flavor. Finish was slightly bitter, like bittersweet chocolate and coffee. For a milk/sweet stout, this was pretty sour. Oof.

3.41/5  rDev +11.8%

Pours deep, opaque sable with a fairly thick, if not persistent, light tan head. Aroma is malty and yeasty as well as chocolaty and a little sweet. Flavor is more like an ale than a stout, mainly malty with a chocolaty undertone and nutty and coffee hints - tasty nonetheless. Texture is smooth and fairly tingly. Dang, I really like for a stout to taste like a stout.

3.63/5  rDev +19%

I had this beer about a year ago and remember it being one of the worst beers I have ever had. So, I am coming into this review with low expectations. I decided to give it another go and see if it is as bad as I remember. Here is my review:

A: It pours way darker and thicker than I remember. Initially when I had it, it poured a thin brownish color and it had little white floaties in it. Now it is pitch black, dark, thick and free of floaties. Head is also very creamy looking.

S/T: The aroma is sweet and full of lactose. Lots of licorice and smoke going one. The taste is actually very good. Way better than I remember it. The first time I had it, it tasted like cough syrup mixed with spit. This tastes like a stout. Pretty sweet, with a decent roast character. I also get a lot of black licorice, smoke, tobacco, and a hint of coffee. Surprisingly complex and tasty.

M/D: Mouthfeel is a little lighter than a typical stout. I would say medium bodied. Somewhat creamy. Drinks very well. Could be a session stout due to the low ABV. Good stuff.

Wow, I started this review expecting to tear apart this beer. But it is very good and well worth trying. I wonder if the recipe has changed as I don't remember this beer tasting anything like this. Even if you tried this beer before, try a fresher batch of it and see if it is different than you remember. Very good and tasty stout, and this is coming from someone who almost exclusively drinks Imperial Stouts.

Hitachino Nest Sweet Stout (Lacto) from Kiuchi Brewery