Hitachino Nest Sweet Stout (Lacto) | Kiuchi Brewery

poor
Read the review
Hitachino Nest Sweet Stout (Lacto)Hitachino Nest Sweet Stout (Lacto)

Kiuchi Brewery
Japan
kodawari.cc

Style: Milk / Sweet Stout

Added by purplehops on 07-01-2002

2.54/5  rDev -16.4%

Maybe I should have listened to the reviews on this one. Well it looked ok, very dark brown with two fingers worth of light brown head, but smelled a little weird kind of like green olives. Had a watered down light feel to in the mouth and tasted a little sour with a very small amount of dark malts showing thru. Quite a strange smelling and tasting beer. I drank the entire bottle and have never poured out a beer before, but this one is closest I have come to doing such a horrible thing. I wouldn't recommend this beer and will never try it again... however, I would not dismiss this brewery because I absolutely love their white ale simply fantastic.

2.49/5  rDev -18.1%

Solid black body, trails of bubbles run up the sides of the glass, so decent carbonation in this stout. Head is khaki and creamy. Nothing bad though nothing distinguishing.

The nose consists a sweet, lambic like sourness, followed by a musty sweetness. Under that a little bit of caramel and chocolate. Musty sweet smell may be some American-like hops but I'm not sure. Not much else.

Sour/sweet taste that hits the palate unexpectedly. Taste is akin to a sop of fruit-brandy soaked bread. Lactose is apparent in the sweet flavor. Sourness is bitter and harsh on the palate.

Not as thick as I was expecting. Without the initial high gravity one would expect from a brew like this, why then the lactose, at least for the mouthfeel category. Lactose is a bit unnoticeable here.

Meh, interesting, but I pass. Too bitter/sour for the style. At least its something different.

3.18/5  rDev +4.6%

This little bad boy has been sitting in my beer cellar for about 3 years now, and I dug it out tonight. Served at cellar temp in a stemmed glass. Pours a dark black color, with a decent size head that faded quickly though. There was a cola-like fizziness to the carbonation. The taste was pretty good but not spectacular. Had some decent aspects of coffee and chocolate to it. Very thin body though, which was a negative. This is the 2nd milk stout I've had, and this one was surprisingly not as sweet as I expected. More roasted flavor than sweetness. A slightly subpar stout in comparison to others out there, but a decent introduction to a Japanese craft brewer.

2.51/5  rDev -17.4%

Copped a single, short, fat, stout bottle from Oak Tree in South Plainfield... wasn't expecting such a weak 3.9% ABV... The best thing about this beer is its impressive appearance, which pours a jet-black, ebony, hue with an impressive foamy and frothy head that boasted some staying power... aroma was about average... some slight chocolate and malt flavors but not too dominant or overwhelming... flavor was somewhat bland and watery, with obvious mocha and espresso flavors apparaent, but were overshadowed by a weak and unimpressive watery aftertaste... certainly my least favorite brew from Kiuchi that I've sampled thus far... Not too impressed with this one... Pass it up - Hitachino makes much better beers than this one...

2.26/5  rDev -25.7%

Poured a 21oz bottle into a Chimay Chalice (2 pours). Poured a hazy, opaque black with a slight tan head that dissipated quickly and left no lacing. The aroma reminded me of a glass of chocolate milk that had been left in the sun for about an hour to long. Taste is very weak. There was a faint sweetness, no creaminess, and a strange tartness at the finish. Mouthfeel is a bit thin, and there was a strange amount of carbonation. I try no to let one beer set my impressions of a brewery, but it will be hard to get it out of my mind.

4.52/5  rDev +48.7%

I love this beer but it isn't easy to find and it has always been a bit pricey.

Upon opening the bottle, dark chocolate, caramelized malty goodness, and a slight citrus aroma fill the air. As I pour it into a giant goblet the head grows and grows. There is highly active carbonation and now I smell a bit of berry. Although there is a definite creaminess the carbonation makes this beer taste lighter than it is. The head sticks to the side of the glass and last well past my drinking.

2.68/5  rDev -11.8%

I had high hopes for this one.

Pour was great in color and head. Flavor was shallow, sweetness was hardly there at all, and mouthfeel was really thin. I also didn't think the somewhat tart note in the backround was appropriate. A sweet stout need not be chewy to be good, but this was too watery. It was worth a try, but I'll not be going back for more. I'm glad this wasn't the only beer I bought today.

3.05/5  rDev +0.3%

This beer started out fine: Good dark ruby red/black pour, nice off-brown head built up to about 2 fingers. Aroma of chocolate and coffee dominate, with prune and molasses coming up behind.
then the taste: Stale chocolate and weak coffee. The malt seems to have been stale. Coffee is weak, like a watered down version of week-old Taster's Choice. Sweetness of a milk stout is almost sour, I mean bad sour. The prune flavor is a bit funky, not a good blend.
Feels thin and inconsistent, hops tries to give a bite at the end, but doesn't. Perhaps a sour-milk porter is a better description. Drain pour. But would like to try a fresher version.

2.45/5  rDev -19.4%

This brew poured thick and almost flat out of the bottle with no head to speak of. Aromas were of sweet roasted malts, some nuttiness too. Taste was on the verge of too sweet- sucralose sugars, somwhat artificial with no bitterness to balance. This is just too sweet. There is a slick oilyness to the mouthfeel, is there dairy creamer is this? well, whatever the case it is somewhat disturbing. There is an aftertaste of coconuts, and more sweetness. Not a balanced brew, i could hardly finish the small bottle.

2.43/5  rDev -20.1%

Not bad, almost too sweet though (hence the name). Imagine drinking a sweeter, carbonated version of Bailey's Irish Cream. Decent aftertaste.

A - Not too dark, dark brown.
S - Very sweet smell.
T - Very sweet, almost like drinking a soda.
M - Not too thick, a little on the watery side.
D - I'd drink this again if it were free.

4.22/5  rDev +38.8%

Opaque, brown, milkshake color head is huge on this stout, and slow to go. Nose is roasty coffee, caramel, roast chocolate, herbal hop, and fruity, spicy and nutty yeast products. Crazy.

The first thing that hits me is fruit bouquet, then herbal hop ushers in phenols. There is a sourness I find off-putting and tobacco in the finish. Good if you don't think of it as stout. Awesome with lamb. This stuff is definately different. Mouthfeel gets points off for stinging.

2.58/5  rDev -15.1%

pours a dark brown with a two finger sandy colored head that faded quickly to just the beer. looked like a glass of prune juice. aromas of burnt coffee and roasted malt. taste same with a sour acidicness that gets stronger as the beer warms, a unusual tasting beer i asume from the lactose. moutfeel light and carbonation light. not a very well put together beer. not one i would recommend or buy again.

4.28/5  rDev +40.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured out of a big bottle into the glass a solid black body that appears rather thinnish. Head is tan and tall. Smell is a mix of chocolate, roasted malt, lactic acid, lemon juice, and some funk. The chocolate is surely present in the taste but the roastiness mellows it out. Lots of acid on the tongue with lemon juice flavors and lactic acid. I pick up some tobacco in the flavor somewhere. Finishes dry with more roasted grain and some black berry that sticks in my mind on into the aftertaste. Mouthfeel is kind of light and lively. OK. This is an extremely refreshing, interesting, and delicious stout that I could see being a good summer session stout, especially since it's less than 4% abv.

2.55/5  rDev -16.1%

11,2 ounce bottle, $3,55 Green's on Buford Hwy Atlanta, Ga USA.
While this wasn't exactly what I would call a *good* example of the style, I did not think it was as offensive as others seem to have. It poured a rather average looking pour; a dark brown with a sandy coloured head that stayed for a good 3 minutes, and actually, never fully went away. Smell was rather average as well, with one notable exception. There was a smell of mushrooms present here. If you have ever cooked with fresh mushrooms, then you know the rich, damp/musty smell I'm talking about. This mushroom nuance was present in the taste, as well. Not so much that it *tasted* like mushrooms, but rather the taste strongly reminded me of the smell, if that makes any sense. The sourness of the lactose is also quite strong in this one. It's *quite* sour. The mouthfeel was a bit prickly for my taste with a little bit too much CO2.
I have been searching for this for quite some time, simply because I thought it looked rather interesting. I'm rather delighted that I was able to locate it, and I don't mnd the fact that I payed $3,55 for it. Would I ever buy this again, though? Definitely not.
***Note***
After I posted this review and got closer to finishing the beer, I noticed quite a lot of rather large particles of debris in the bottom of the pint glass.

3.31/5  rDev +8.9%

12 oz. bottle sampled at cellar temperature. It pours a dark mahogany with fizzy cola-like carbonation that very quickly disappears. Looks more like an aged Belgian Strong Dark Ale.

Smell is not worth mentioning, metallic and sort of off-putting. No roastiness, which comes as a surprise.

Taste is unusual, much more like a Belgian Dark with some dark fruit and vague nuttiness going on. Lactic quality suggests an Oud Bruin, but that link is far from solid. Very thin and bland after crossing the palate, however there's a nice roasty aftertaste that redeems it.

Hitachino Nest Sweet Stout has more in common with dark Belgians such as Vondel, Troubadour Obscura, and De Dolle Export Stout. However it's balance and drinkability fall below these examples. It's unique as others have said, but not especially palatable. Worth a try if you're comparing oddball Stouts.

3.4/5  rDev +11.8%

Im sampling a cellar temp bottle poured into a snifter. the beer pours a clear but dark brown and allows no light passage. A small fizzy tan head foams up for a second and leaves quickly leaving no evidence. Aroma is a little bit of chocolate and brown sugar but is dominated by a tangy funkiness. First sip reveals a silky smooth texture and very fine tingly carbonation. Flavor starts sweet with brown sugar and caramel allows some roasted malt in the middle and also a bit of lactic funkiness as well. The finish is tangy funk and I am not sure if this is normal or if the beer is just a hint past prime. the other beer flavors are enjoyable and are still easily discerned and I have heard that hitachino brews tend to be funky. This isnt really similar to most sweet stouts I have had, and Im not sure I like it but I know I dont hate it.

3.4/5  rDev +11.8%

I would categorize this beer as a sweet stout or a milk stout. There is not a lot of roastiness to it, but there is a pleasing sweet milk sugar (lactose) flavor to it up-front. Like a number of Hitachino beers, I got some cedar notes (like being in a humidor). I thought this beer was highly drinkable for a sweet stout, even more drinkable than a number of dry stouts (like Guinness). Color was dark, but not inky black like some other stouts. Aroma was a bit like condensed milk. I would recommend this stout if you're looking for something different the next time you're at your local sushi bar or Japanese restaurant.

3.06/5  rDev +0.7%

Presentation: Poured from a 11.2oz brown bottle into an Imperial pint glass. Label depicts the Hitachino owl.

Appearance: Pours with just over an inch of big bubbled tan foam. This settles into 1/4 inch of creamier foam. The beer itself is black, slightly mahogany around the edges.

Smell: Coffee and bitter chocolate add to the smell of roasted barley. Maybe I am previously influenced by the label, but I think I can smell a slight sweet sourness from the lacto.

Taste: Ooh, interesting. Starts with a slightly sour sweetness, then goes to a very mild roasted barley bitterness. Finally, finishes with a creamy, milk like taste.

Mouthfeel: Average to slightly higher than average carbonation level. Body is average.

Drinkability: As I said earlier, interesting, but not sure I like it. Not much roasted barley presence and not as creamy of a mouthfeel as I look for in a milk stout. Not terrible, but probably a one time thing for me.

3.62/5  rDev +19.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Whimsical bottle. Whimsical beer? Not so much. Appropriately stouty in appearance--clear but very dark, with rusty brown tinges around the edges. Topped off with a modest cap of fine, brown head that quickly fell away to a tight ring. A more assertive nose than anticipated--even when still well chilled--highlighted by a tasty choco-coffee roastiness. Those notes carry over less to the taste, which is characterized by a lasting, creamy sweetness and complemented by an unexpectedly crisp mouthfeel. There are some funky things going on here. An interesting stout that's neither easily described nor easily dismissed.

3.4/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

330ml bottle, poured into a pint glass.

That OWL! Jeez, it's the Hello Kitty of beer. The Japanese are the masters of CUTE, I can't take it, I see that owl and I am irresistably attracted and it takes a huge effort of will not to buy the beer. Well, I really liked the cedar-aged Japanese Ale so I am giving their other efforts a shot. Drinking this with some real home-cooked Cantonese food that might work with a sweet beer--stuffed bitter melon. The stuffing is mainly fish with sweet Cantonese sausage. The melon is bitter like no IPA on earth, I mean brutally bitter. I love it. Anyway...

Black with blackish-brown highlight when held up to a spotlight. Large foamy tan head when poured recedes in an organized fashion to a rim, no lacing, the bubbles are uniform in shape and size and slide right down the glass when swirled.

Sweetness on the first whiff, roasted malt aroma, some woody, cigar box notes, a touch of bitter cocoa.

Fizzy root-beer like mouthfeel, just a shade more creamy than soda pop. Surprisingly refreshing. The first impression is an unspicy root beer, then some roasted stout-like flavors come in, unsweetened cocoa powder. The finish is remarkably similar to that slightly metallic aftertaste you get when you eat snow. Weird! That effect really lingers. It is so unusual that it makes this beer taste artificial in some way--maybe that taste comes from adding lactose powder. The sweetness is couteracted well by the roasted malt flavor so the end result feels rather dry and refreshing.

Somehow this beer is interesting and sort of fun to drink, at least once. Not risking much since the ABV is so low.

1.88/5  rDev -38.2%

Appearance: Pours a black, cola-like body with a bubbly, quickly dissipating tan head.

Smell: Weak aroma of watered down old milk. This does not bode well at all.

Taste: A very odd junction of random flavors here. Sour apples, lime juice, and a near virulent metallic taste, with a lactic acid finish suggestive of a lambic, or even spoiled Worchestershire sauce. No real malts or hops to speak of.

Mouthfeel: Extremely thin-bodied. Neither full or creamy and totally lacking in body. How very upsetting.

Drinkability: This one was a complete bust, unfortunately. There are far better examples of this style, and I'd wager most could be had for far cheaper than this one. If you must insist on trying this one get the smaller size.

3.31/5  rDev +8.9%

Appearance:
It's pretty much black. There is a big brown head with good retention to cap it all off.

Smell:
The beer reaks of bittersweet chocolate, slight nutiness, and alcohol. It's a rather potent smelling stout, but it pretty much smells like stout.

Taste and Mouthfeel:
It's big, thick, and dirty. I'm calling it a prison beer. Rich flavors of chalk, burnt chocolate, and coffee. The beer coats your mouth with the flavors and they just hang on like there is no tomorrow. Any more than a few of these and you're going to wake up with stout mouth.

Drinkability:
I really can't get into stout for the sake of drinking. I like it with food, but I would never order it at a bar, drink it on a friday night, or things of that nature. It tastes good enough for a stout, it's just not wowing me enough to consider a 6 pack of it.

Bottom Line:
A slightly above average stout, and a good showing from Japan makes for a one time buy in my opinion.

1.81/5  rDev -40.5%

11.2 oz bottle. No freshness date.

Dark mahogany with a small tanish head.

Aroma is kind of boozy for something this low in alc.
Chocolate, toffee, milk.

Flavor is prunes, coffee and sour milk.

Finish is sour and slightly acidic. Not something I would waste my money on again.

3.35/5  rDev +10.2%

This was recommended to me by a guy at the beer store. I've been on a sweet/milk stout kick as of late so I thought I would give it a try.

Beer poured a dark brown with about a one finger dark tan head which dissapated fairly quickly. This beer had a lot of carbonation. Aroma of bitersweet chocolate, coffee and roasted malt. Flavors of bitter espresso and cocoa with a unique creaminess. Mouthfeel was thin. Much thinner than a stout should be. This, combined with the high carbonation, detracted from the overall quality of the beer.

I would drink this beer again, but I won't be running out to buy it again soon. But I say, if you want to try something different, go ahead and pick one up.

3.17/5  rDev +4.3%

A dissapointment. About the best thing that this beer has going for it is the great color. Just the right silky dark chocolate color.

Lacking in almost all carbonation or head. Pours right into the glass to make a thin tan head. Smell of burnt leaves and burnt sugar. No Belgian lace left on the glass.

Original flavor is just lacking something. No, really it is lacking almost everything. I feel like a bride left at the altar. No initial maltiness, no hoppiness (expected), no lingering flavor on my palette. If this had any less finish I would suspect it was a lager.

I have a couple of other Hitachinos in my fridge. I have higher hopes for them.

Hitachino Nest Sweet Stout (Lacto) from Kiuchi Brewery