Hitachino Nest Extra High (XH) | Kiuchi Brewery

Hitachino Nest Extra High (XH)Hitachino Nest Extra High (XH)
3.79/5
Very Good
Hitachino Nest Extra High (XH)Hitachino Nest Extra High (XH)

Kiuchi Brewery
Japan
kodawari.cc

Style: Belgian Strong Dark Ale

From Japan's most prestigious brewery, Hitachino Nest XH (Extra High) is a strong Belgian Brown Ale, matured in shochu (distilled sake) barrels. Chinook & Styrian Goldings hops are use

Added by UncleJimbo on 12-29-2002

View: Beers
Reviews by broken22:
3.85/5  rDev +1.6%

So after having such a good experience with this breweries espresso stout I could not wait to try this other beer I picked up at the same time.

So I pop this beer and pour it into a glass. Wow, this thing foams up like crazy. The little bit of beer I can see that is not foam is a dark orangey color. Like an apple cider. So now I must wait before I can pour any more in...still waiting...ah pour a little more and wait...OK there all the beer has been poured. The foamy head looks like the surface of a martian landscape, but it has finally died down so I can take my first sip. But wait I need to tell you about how it smells first. It smells really good. It has a nice spicy smell to it like many other belgians I have had. The only difference is the subtle sharpness that I can only imagine is coming from the sake barrels this thing was aged in. I can wait no longer and take my first sip. Wow a little more aggressive than I was expecting. This thing really attacked the sides of my tongue. After a few more sips my mouth is now acclimatized so I can begin to really taste this thing. I would have to say that I am really getting the flavor of sake. This beer has the a subtle sweetness of a plum while managing to get a little citrus like flavor all blending together without ever really standing out.

This is another good beer. I'm kind of curious about the heavy foam up. Makes me think that this could have been over sugared when it was time for bottling. I guess that means more testing is in order, dang :P So to wrap it up I think this is a good beer and it had a very interesting flavor from the sake barrels, which has to be unique to this brewery. After now trying two beers from this brewery I really want to try all of their offerings. If you like belgians then try this one out. My local beer store is selling these for $5.99 for a 12oz single.

3.46/5  rDev -8.7%

Served on tap in a 13oz Hitachino stubby tulip shaped pint glass at Bavarian Lodge in Lisle Il

It pours a lively reddish brown with a 2 finger head. The beer was pretty cloudy and lots carbonation bubbles were surfacing.

The aroma was pretty muted for what I would expect from the description. It had some wood and cherry type fruit notes mixed in with some nice Brett funk.

The taste was nice and tart with some fruit notes. It reminded me of a flanders style beer at first. Some wood came through as well. I'm sad to say that I've never partook in drinking sake so I cannot report on any influence in this beer. Overall it had a decent funky brett flavor profile but everything seemed muddled and sloppy. The carbonation was on the high side and became distracting forcing me to take smaller sips in order to savor the beer properly. An interesting beer for sure and glad to find it on tap.

3.5/5  rDev -7.7%

3.86/5  rDev +1.8%

This beer pours a deep, slightly hazy amber with a thick, lasting, creamy head. It has a nice sour aroma and flavor that is balanced with a little underlying sweetness in the body of the beer. There are some woody notes followed by a balanced finish. Tasty. I'll definitely get this one again.

2.07/5  rDev -45.4%

Purchased from Blue Max Liquors in Burnsville, MN. Pours a murky, dark reddish brown body with a huge pillowy off-white head. There are globs of sediment floating around and settling in the bottom of the snifter. The aroma is one big sour mish-mosh of belgian yeast. Mouthfeel is medium bodied and highly carbonated. The bottle actually foamed out a little after I popped the cap. Sweet syrupy flavor that has a tart and sour finish. I can't detect any sake. I guess this is what you get sometimes when you buy "experimental" beers. I couldn't even finish this one.

3.25/5  rDev -14.2%

4.25/5  rDev +12.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.05/5  rDev +6.9%

I was excited that this beer made it's way to America and I picked up a bottle as soon as I could and tried it right away. I shared it with a friend who really likes shouchu so I was looking forward to her reaction to it as well. It poured a golden yellow with a thick white head. I noted some floral notes to it as well as some spice and a bit of the shouchu which I was really looking for. It's a bit dry with tight, gentle carbonation. A nice beer to savor.

3.25/5  rDev -14.2%

3.55/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

I picked up a bottle from Hop Jacks in Pensacola. Pours an amber brown color with white head that dissipated quickly. Smells of sweet grass, caramel, touch of sour notes. Taste is mostly sweet caramel and some tartness. Mouthfeel is rather watery. Otherwise, I'm glad I only bought a single bottle of this beer. Not great

3.48/5  rDev -8.2%

Pours a dirty auburn brown body with a small beige head that quickly falls to a cap. Some rings of lace aound the snifter. Aroma of wood, sake, and fried rice. Mouthfeel is nice, medium body and crisp carbonation. Taste is better than the aroma with prominent oak wood tones and a faint note of berries. As it warms, the sake becomes dominant imparting some harsh alcohol which lasts into the finish. Not my favorite Hitachino Nest but one of the most interesting.

4.75/5  rDev +25.3%

3.66/5  rDev -3.4%

Thanks to Travita for sharing this beer.

The beer pours an orangish-amber color with a tan head. The aroma is basic caramel malt with some fruit and yeast. The flavor is completely different, with brett funk, citrus fruit and a good amount of tartness. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

3.52/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

4.35/5  rDev +14.8%

Serving glass: Poured from bottle into Pilsner-like glass.

Appearance: Cloudy orange with towering cream colored head and some nice lacing.

Smell: Tart apples, vinegar, oak and pepper.

Taste: Nice tartness derived from apple and citrus. The oak aging adds a nice level of complexity, as does the brett. Ends with pepper, clove and spicy hops. Great balance overall and the tartness remains at a manageable level.

Feel: Moderately high carbonation, medium body with a tart, dry finish. As the carbonation recedes, it becomes very smooth.

Drinkability: Love the complex layers within this beer, while remaining compulsively drinkable.

4.25/5  rDev +12.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A: Copper gold with a slight chill haze under a 1” dense cream colored foam collar that produces sheets of lace.
S: Fruit, peach, melon, light grains,
T: Fruit, melon to peach, biscuit malt, hints of sake, some pepper on the finish.
F: Creamy medium full body and medium carbonation.
O: While the sake is not huge, the brewer has nailed the Belgian texture and yeast character for a very pleasant beer.

Hitachino Nest Extra High (XH) from Kiuchi Brewery