Hitachino Nest Extra High (XH) | Kiuchi Brewery

Hitachino Nest Extra High (XH)Hitachino Nest Extra High (XH)

Kiuchi Brewery
Japan
kodawari.cc

Style: Belgian Strong Dark Ale

From Japan's most prestigious brewery, Hitachino Nest XH (Extra High) is a strong Belgian Brown Ale, matured in shochu (distilled sake) barrels. Chinook & Styrian Goldings hops are use

Added by UncleJimbo on 12-29-2002

3.5/5  rDev -7.4%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass. Bottle has XH.11.10 printed on the back.

A - pours a hazy deep orange with a half finger head that dissipates quickly.

S - powerful notes of rice and alcohol, grainy malt. Smells like a touch of allspice and ginger in it, but doesn't seem to be an ingredient listed anywhere.

T - initially a lot of dryness. A firm hop bitterness starts mid palate and ends spmewhat coarse with A slight amount of oak and vanilla detected in the mid palate. I'm getting the allspice notes on the back end as detected in the nose. Lots of munich type, bready profiles on the end.

M - medium bodied that seems dryier on the tounge than it is.

D - lower for me due to the spice profiles found late on the palate.

Overall, an interesting beer. I wish I had more experiemce with sake to be able to pick more of the sake profiles out, or attribute them to sake correctly. Not something I think I will buy again, unless its to revisit after some sake tastings.

3.18/5  rDev -15.9%

[Poured in an generic tulip glass]

I: The majority of Japanese beers I’ve had in my life, always came across as generic, until I met Hitachino. I was first introduced to the “Hitachino White”, and was very pleased. I also came across their “Espresso Stout”, which was also good, but I wasn’t able to review. I came across this “XH”, at Mission Liquor and had to grab it(it was also the last one).

B: [7% ABV11.2 FL. OZ. Ale] Nice small bottle, with a good amount of information. Sadly the labels (though nice) on my bottle were poorly placed, regardless it has ingredients (water, malt, hops, and yeast), abv, and size. Bottle date seems absent. Overall I like the bottle, but it won’t go on my shelf.

A: Medium red transparent body with extremely fluffy head (scattered and slow dissipation), and decent lacing.

S: Belgium Strong Ale presence, grassy, yeast, slight lemon, and floral sweet malt. It may also be my imagination, but I think I sense the sake from the casks.

T: That floral malt is upfront and throughout complimented by lemon, than the Belgian strong ale presence kicks in, ending in sweet ginger.

M: Slightly dry finish, light/Medium body, medium fizzy carbonation, and low alcohol presence.

O: Definitely not a traditional strong ale. It came off as interesting… Adequate, but I don’t think I would buy another anytime soon. I think the Espresso Stout is best brew I’ve had from Hitachino so far. I can’t in good faith recommend this one, unless you get it for a good price. Cheers!!!

4.08/5  rDev +7.9%

Bought this in Kyoto for a trip on a night bus back to Tokyo. Thought the relatively high alcohol content would help me sleep. I'm a big fan of Hitachino, but this brew missed the mark with me a bit perhaps due to the aim of this beer. Advertising it as an Extra High alcohol content, the taste is a bit sharp and abrasive in place of moments where more flavor or subtle notes could have shown through. Don't get me wrong -- it is an amazing dark brew with lots of caramel and coffee scents that instantly warms you the way a good strong brew should. I found the scent to be a little harsh on the nose, but the mouthfeel was spot on. I was a bit torn over this particular Hitachino, and while I enjoyed it, I don't think I will be buying it too many more times. I respect the XH idea, but not at the cost of potentiality in other areas such as flavor.

4.2/5  rDev +11.1%

A - Pours a murky dark caramel, lots and lots of head, slow to leave. Lots of lace.

S - Sharp acrid smells. Lemon is pronounced. Barn funk follows.

T - Lemony, Belgian yeast funk, malt present. Nice.

M - So many things going on, and it all seems to balance well to neutral.

D - Could have a few. BTW, mine was 7%.

4.1/5  rDev +8.5%

Pours dark brass and cloudy with reddish-orange highlights. A big off-white puffy head turns creamy, lasting the entire session and leaving a thick blanket of lacing.

Flowery with some citrus, lots of yeast and a background of funk. This is reminiscent of a fruit limbic with raspberry and cherry in the background and accents of clove and a treasure trove of other spices.

Flavor falls short of the aroma’s promise, with modest bitterness and light fruit. There is a punch of astringency in a drying finish that lingers. On the sweeter side, but still close to balanced.

A medium body with slick texture, lively carbonation, astringency and modest alcohol.

An enjoyable, easy drinking beer for rare occasions. Possibly best as an after dinner beverage.

3.98/5  rDev +5.3%

This beer poured a hazy orange, with a white head, the aroma was malty with a hint of the saki smell. The taste was good with a slight citrus but mainly malty and the aftertaste was really a saki taste, overall this tasted like a Belgian strong ale with a unique after taste that I truly enjoyed.

2.5/5  rDev -33.9%

3.58/5  rDev -5.3%

11.2 oz bottle poured into Chimay Goblet.

A: Pours a very cloudy, interesting maple syrup color. Fairly
agressive pour yielded almost no head, and the small head dissipated almost immediately. Minimal lacing.

S: Not much of a nose on this one - some faint sweet fruitiness mixed with alcohol. More fruit comes out as it warms.

T: Wow there is a refreshing taste of strawberries and grapes at first followed by a strong bite of sake. This is my first sake casked beer, and I'm liking it so far. The sake is very well balanced with the other flavors and doesn't overwhelm at all.

M: Given the cloudy look and the 7% abv, I was surprised how "spritzy" this beer tasted. Highly carbonated with a relatively thin mouthfeel. That being said, this is definitely a sipper, as the sake leaves a noticeable alcoholic aftertaste.

Overall I really enjoyed this. Not something I'd want to drink all
the time, but it would be great with sushi or Korean food. I'm
anxious to see what else is on offer from Kiuchi.

4.5/5  rDev +19%

4.5/5  rDev +19%

2.5/5  rDev -33.9%

3.23/5  rDev -14.6%

The pour is a somewhat murky light brown color with a finger of off-white head. Wow, a really strange aroma to this. It's got an almost grape soda kind of note to it. Seems like a little bit of chocolate and anise not to it as well. Maybe a light fruity tartness. Tastes quite toasty with some more of the sweet grape soda flavor. A bit of grass and bready malt is also there, maybe a hint of chocolate. On the light side of medium body with medium carbonation.

Hitachino Nest XH

Appearance: dark red-orange, medium-small head, and some good lacing.

Smell: sour yeast and slight fruit.

Taste: yeast, bitter wheat, and faint fruit.

Mouthfeel: medium and slightly bitter.

Overall:
This brew is different than most. It has a dark, almost musty flavor with a slight bitterness.

3.61/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

11.2oz bottle marked "XH.11.02." into tumbler glass. Some sediment in the bottle.

Pours an opaque, warm-glowing copper color with a solid finger of foam and effervescent, champagne-like bubbles rising to the surface. Lacing sticks thickly to the glass wall, and retention is very good. Smells like warm caramel malt with spirits (I guess the sake), along with a slightly boozy, fermented apple and some oak (opens up more as it warms). In the taste you get more of the fruit you would expect from a Belgian which mixes with a hefty dose of alcohol spirits. Very dry. Medium body and carbonation. Overall, an interesting interpretation of the style. I'm all for experimenting with barrel aging. Although a little fatiguing to drink an entire bottle, I may have to try this out with Asian food. I can see that working well.

Hitachino Nest Extra High (XH) from Kiuchi Brewery