Black IPA | Karl Strauss Brewing Company

3.73 w/ 6 ratings

Karl Strauss Brewing Company
karlstrauss.com

Style: American IPA

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

Added by cdkrenz on 01-23-2011

Liked:
3.73/5
Alströms:

4.16/5  rDev +11.5%

Every Thursday night is "Cask Night" at the Karl Strauss Brewery & Restaurant in Costa Mesa, California. I was lucky enough to sample this brew while they still had some left.

A - Medium tan head on top of a dark brown body. It has the appearance of having been poured from nitro.

S - Burnt roasty malt aroma.

T - Roasted malts are prevalent but it does offer a leafy hop bite. This is a tasty IPA and one that I'm happy I was able to sample.

M - This is by far the smoothest IPA I've ever had. The pour from a hand pump straight from the cask creates the perfect texture for this beer.

~ Cask night at the brewery, this is a great beer and one that I wish everyone could have a chance to sample. I'm told the style rotates through their cask offerings, so if you lucky, you might be able get your lips on one. They cracked open the cast around 6pm. It was completely gone by 8pm. The place was packed and it seemed like everyone there showed up for the cask. Most folks had one and then moved on to another sample of the fine beers they have to offer.

3.75/5  rDev +0.5%