Joe Mama's Milk Stout | Keegan Ales

Keegan Ales
New York, United States
keeganales.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Big Brother to our Mother’s Milk. It starts with our Mother’s Milk recipe, we then add copious amounts of brown sugar to add body and increase the alcohol content. Then, after primary fermentation, we infuse a cold coffee extract from our friends down the street, Monkey Joe’s Roasting Co.

Added by palma on 12-26-2008

2.26/5  rDev -43.9%

Got this one from SliverX as a gift. Thanks heaps man! Been wanting to try this one forever, so I braved the big bottle myself after finishing the regular Mama's Milk.

From a 36oz white waxed swing top bottle into snifter.

APPEARANCE: A thinner, transparent brown pour yields a three finger, thinner but fluffy, light tan head with good retention. Head fades to a wisp and clings to the sides of the glass. Black body and medium carbonation evident. A slight wisp remains until the end and leaves some lacing down the glass. Head and carbonation in check, but the body could be thicker and darker for the style.

SMELL: More potent. Lactose sugar is there, with espresso notes and sweet cream. Some smoky and roasted malts and a hint of brett in there as well. A little worrying. More sour cherry notes come out as the brew sits over time.

TASTE: Touches of lactose and espresso notes up front, but more sour cherry and brett flavors come through here. Probably infected, but not too far along just yet. Aftertaste is mild but lingering and is mostly made of sour cherry, espresso and burnt coffee beans. Oddly enough, over time the sour cherry notes mellow in the flavor but become more prominent in the nose. Either way, the sweet stout and the sourness are always competing with each other.

PALATE: Medium body and medium carbonation. Semi-creamy on the palate, goes down smooth and finishes slightly sticky. A bit of a harsh alcohol burn lingers as well.

OVERALL: This was a pretty lousy milk stout series here. Not a complete failure, but certainly not something worth seeking out. That said, this bottle seems to be infected, so I’d gladly give it another go if given the opportunity. There seemed to be some promise under the sour cherry notes. Anyways, this one had been on my Wants for what seemed like forever, so thanks heaps for hooking me up SliverX. Three fat and one skinny 4Life.

2.5/5  rDev -38%

2.5/5  rDev -38%

2.56/5  rDev -36.5%

12oz bottle into a snifter

A: Pours dark brown, a shade from black. A half finger of light tan head forms and quickly recedes. Average.

S: Mild. Some burnt coffee and a bit of lactose sweetness. A bit of roasted malts in the background.

T: Again quite mild, but significantly more appealing than the aroma. Roasted malts start off with slightly burnt coffee and lactose sweetness backing it up. No hint of ABV.

M: Thin with prickly carbonation.

O: Not bad, but I'm a bit disappointed. The aroma is subpar, but the taste is not bad. The mouthfeel is also poor.

2.75/5  rDev -31.8%

2.75/5  rDev -31.8%

2.9/5  rDev -28%

3.2/5  rDev -20.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.32/5  rDev -17.6%

3.37/5  rDev -16.4%
look: 3 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

Pours dark as expected with an immedate smell of coffee. The first sip I immediately thought it was a bit thin and watery. The coffee is overwhelming and doesn't seem to blend well with the stout. Almost seems like I'm drinking a thinner stout that someone randomly poured a couple shots of coffee into. It's really not horrible but it's in a very tough class as there are some really well rounded coffee stouts out there. Worth a try but I won't be revisiting this one again any time soon.

3.39/5  rDev -15.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

3.4/5  rDev -15.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a tulip.

A: Dark brown with hints of ruby around the edges. For a stout, definitely not pitch black like some I have had. The head is tan, a little fizzy, and dissipates quickly leaving very little nuances remaining around the edges. Wish it was thicker and hung around longer.

S: Faint to moderate coffee, roasted malt, burnt sugar. Not as much coffee as I was expecting. Underwhelming.

T: I am a little disappointed. I had hoped for more coffee and, also, more of the milk stout element. Unfortunately, I think both are underdone. Could definitely use more coffee along with more lactose sweetness. Both elements are there, but could absolutely be more robust.

M: Thin. For a stout, definitely thin. Alcohol is well hidden. Due to the thinness, it's an easy drinker for sure. It's just not as enjoyable as it could be.

Overall, this stout is decent for sure. I can't say that I wouldn't have it again but it is out of my market and I also can't say that I would go out of my way to procure more of it. Maybe I am spoiled by Terrapin's Moo Hoo and Wake N Bake and had hoped for some hybrid of these 2 in one bottle (actually, mixing 1/2 Moo Hoo with 1/2 Wake N Bake for a Wake N Moo tastes better than this to me). Nonetheless, I found this beer to be very average overall.

3.41/5  rDev -15.4%

Provided by whartontallboy.

A - Dark brown body that turned a little red on the edges. Little bit of off-white foam that left some minor lacing on the sides.

S - Coffee, roasted malts, milk, chocolate, and a "green" smell from raw cocoa nibs. I never like that smell, not sure why it is so much more prominent in some beers than others.

T - Bitter coffee, roasted malts, chocolate, green cocoa nibs (yuck), some like caramel and toffee. The flavor profile is fine, but once again the green is detracting a little bit.

M - Little bit thin for 8%, but close to medium. Moderate carbonation.

O - Not bad, I've had better, but this wasn't anywhere close to being a bad beer. I think a lot of people will enjoy it more than me as I'm hypersensitive to that green stuff.

3.44/5  rDev -14.6%

Way overly carbonated. Have to pour it in a glass to remove some of the carbonation.
Looks good and tastes good

3.48/5  rDev -13.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

The lactose sugar is well-handled, but this really needs more coffee and roast. Highly drinkable.

B- (3.48) / WORTHY