Joe Mama's Milk Stout | Keegan Ales

Keegan Ales
New York, United States
keeganales.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Big Brother to our Mother’s Milk. It starts with our Mother’s Milk recipe, we then add copious amounts of brown sugar to add body and increase the alcohol content. Then, after primary fermentation, we infuse a cold coffee extract from our friends down the street, Monkey Joe’s Roasting Co.

Added by palma on 12-26-2008

3.8/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured into an english pint. Pours black with a finger length tan head that dissipates slowly into a cap. I could smell coffee the second I opened the bottle, which leads to roasty coffee just dominating the nose. Dark chocolate is detected though as well. Taste opens up a bit more sweetness to it up front, but the coffee flavors are very strong after that. Coffee flavors also linger for a short while. Drinks very easy for 8%.

Overall: Very good stout, but the coffee was a bit too much to separate itself into the elite category.

4.75/5  rDev +17.9%

3.92/5  rDev -2.7%

12oz bottle

Pours dark brown with a thin, soapy head that fades quickly; lacing is minimal. Smells very similar to the Founders Breakfast Stout that I had just the night before. If you haven't guessed it yet, there's an abundance of coffee infused into this beer. It's as if I just stuck my nose inside a can of Folgers Mountain Blend.

There is a bitter taste upfront, but it smooths itself out towards the end. It's just a smidge on the thin side for an 8% stout, but I'm not complaining. I wouldn't call this a session beer, however, it is pretty damn close. Although, at 8% (which is masked quite well) I could only see myself getting through about 3-4 of these before the room started to spin!

Note: I had the privilege of having this fresh from a growler sometime ago, and I remember it tasting far superior to the offering I am having tonight. Either way, this is a solid milk stout and is one I have no problem recommending.

3.87/5  rDev -4%

12oz bottle generously extra'd by Rob. Opened up with a buddy today, 9/5/2013. Poured into a 12oz water glass (since that's all my friend had). Review #192

All I can say is that this is the most carbonated beer I've ever opened up. I literally poured one ounce into my glass and it foamed up all the way to the top. Massive, massive mocha head with insane retention. It was ridiculous how carbonated this was. We had to wait probably a solid 4-5 minutes in between before we could pour more beer in there.. and by the time it all settled down, it was already halftime for the football game. Otherwise once things settled down, it revealed a dark brown, nearly black body. Thick collar, decent lacing. It was cool, but that overcarbonation messed things up.

Smells like cold pressed coffee with milk creamer. Straight up, mixed in with some dark chocolate. Delicious!

And of course the taste is a fairly typical coffee milk stout but excellent flavour profile. The sweet lactose and milk chocolate balances out the black cold-pressed coffee bitterness very well.

Mouthfeel is actually quite creamy and smooth. Body is thinner full bodied, and very well carbonated. Finish is mostly the lactose and milk chocolate sweetness, and finishes quite dry.

Very good milk stout, carbonation issues aside. It makes for a painful wait while waiting for the head to die down. But the smell, flavour profile and mouthfeel helps make up for some of that. Recommend trying if you like coffee and milk and stouts all in one package.

3.65/5  rDev -9.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Got this on sale for $1.50 at my local beverage shop so i figured i'd give it a whirl.
No date on bottle, poured into pint glass.
A: very dark brown, almost black. Thick, bubbly, tan head disipates in about 30 seconds. Leaves heavy lacing that quickly sinks back down the glass.

S: strong coffee, if anyone remembers pepsi kona, it smells just like it. A bit of chocolate at the end.

T: black coffee and chocolate, cant sense much else. After eating a chocolate chip cookie the coffee is much more pronounced (duh).

M: milky texture, mouthfeel is thick, feels like i just took a big gulp of black coffee. For me this is not pleasant.

O: First off, I'm a bit biased as I'm not the type to enjoy coffee/breakfast stouts. I can usually drink half a bottle before giving up. Also it is not exactly the time of year to be drinking such a heavy beer. If I were to ever be in the mood to pick up such a beer i would sooner choose founders dcbs or javahead. But at $1.50 i cant really complain.

Joe Mama's Milk Stout from Keegan Ales