Alexander Keith's India Pale Ale | Alexander Keith's

Alexander Keith's India Pale AleAlexander Keith's India Pale Ale

Alexander Keith's
Nova Scotia, Canada
keiths.ca

Style: English India Pale Ale (IPA)

Added by BeerAdvocate on 04-16-1998

The best beer there is, the best beer there was and the best beer there ever will be.

4.57/5  rDev +75.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This has been the best IPA I have ever tried. Keep in my mind the majority of the time traditional IPA beers are way to hopping or aggressive for my taste. This was clean and an easy drinking beer. It always is excellent in beer batter for frying fish. I drank it out of a bottle so I am not exactly confident on the appearance but everything else was great.

4.54/5  rDev +73.9%

For the record, I am a little biased towards this brew as it is my favorite domestic "macro"...still think it comes off more as a micro and yes I can admit that this isn't a true IPA it's just so good!

A- OK, this is the only area that doesn't make me jump out of my socks. It has the common yellow/staw colour and shows that it has fairly heavy carbonation. The head doesn't come out to much even after a hard pour, but it does retain a thin film of foam over the top of the liquid, something many other beers don't do.

S- The aroma is just so inviting albeit a little mild. I smell some grains, sweet malts that remind me of fresh corn and a hint of the hops that a true IPA would have.

T- The clean refreshing sweet malty goodness of this beer just keeps me coming back for more. The hop presence is fairly muted but at the back of the palate I can taste just enough of a zing to let me know that there is some bitterness to this beer. The aftertaste is pleasant with a touch of hops, but just like the smell, there is a lingering toasted grain and sweet corn combo that just wants you to have another drink!

M- This is a perfect thirst quenching beer, as it has a medium-light body. It does however get just slightly watery right at the end, towards the back of the throat, most likely due to the carbonation, which is quite heavy.

D- This beer comes highly recommended by myself and I feel is the perfect beer to enjoy all night long. It is definately a great chugging beer on a hot summer day or in the pub with good friends....I'll have a schooner of this no problem...and then another! With all the history and quality behind this beer, it's no wonder the good people of Nova Scotia are so proud of Keiths!

4.39/5  rDev +68.2%

To let everyone know this is not a true ipa in the sense that everyone on this site is thinking this beer is more akin to coors light or beer of that sort. That being said it is still a decent beer for going out and partying (for those who still do so that is). This beer has a sense of nostalgia to me it was the first beer i ever had and being quebecois and living in the states i miss it from time to time. Give it a shot just keep my words in mind if you ever do. Happy drinking all!!

4.18/5  rDev +60.2%

This is one ale that must be consumed cold, it adds a new dimension to the beer tasting process. Lighter in body than most Canadian ales. The colour as well. This India Pale Ale has a very balanced taste, leaving the consumer very satisfied. These people at Keith's really know how to brew up a good product. I would recomend this product, I call it friend.

4.08/5  rDev +56.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

This si a great beet. It is a classic and goes great alone, or with anything else. I love it!

4.08/5  rDev +56.3%

Forget how its marketed as an IPA, its not brewed as an American style IPA that is bitter and leaves an after taste, it is however a wonderfully light, crisp, clean and refreshing beer, that has great carbonation.
This is a beer that can be drank all night it is not bloating.
I would pair this beer up when eating greasy, spicy foods as it cleanses the palette between bites like many Indian brewed beers.
Imperial IPA's or double IPA's are great but I personally only drink 3 to 4oz of them at a time like a digestive tonic.
This branded IPA is really a great daily driver offering a crisp lager type beer impression while wearing a IPA label to snag the trenders.

4.07/5  rDev +55.9%

I think this beer is one of the best popular beers from Canada.

The taste is sweet and smooth, almost creamy. The malty taste is excellent. It even smells great. The lack of hops, however, is present.

Although on this occasion I reviewed it from a can (so a bit over-carbonated, thus a bit lower score for taste.) I highly recommend it on tap.

4.06/5  rDev +55.6%

This is a very popular beer in Halifax. When compared to many mass marketed Ales in the region, this has to be one of the best but, here is the funny thing, I detect no hops and the malt is very lite. If your drinking this for the first time your expectations are not going to be met. Matter of fact I would expect you to rate it very low. Think of it as a tasty mass marketed Ale.

When Halifax sold only non-refrigerated (the government loves monopolies), this was an even better beer to buy when compared to the many others since it tasted good warm.

Good Ale, just don't let the IPA on the label distract you.

Cheers!

When enjoyed on tap in Halifax on the Harbour at the Lower Deck with some great Canadian band, nothing else seems quite as good, though I never like it as much otherwise.

Alexander Keith's India Pale Ale from Alexander Keith's