Alexander Keith's India Pale Ale | Alexander Keith's

Alexander Keith's India Pale AleAlexander Keith's India Pale Ale

Alexander Keith's
Nova Scotia, Canada
keiths.ca

Style: English India Pale Ale (IPA)

Added by BeerAdvocate on 04-16-1998

Not only was it never a good beer (Lager, Ale, anything ---Def not IPA), but it got way worse since the new owners goofed around with the recipe.

Not a 'daily driver', not a Lager, not an Ale.
NOT A BEER.

Its an American adjunct lager at best so why bother drinking it?

This is crap in a bottle.

Pale pale yellow colour. It tastes and looks just like Blue. Hardly any bitter Hop taste. What a crime to call this beer an IPA. Should be a law against this type of marketing.

How could they lie about this being India Pale Ale?

Rating by style, this is an absolute zero. Looks like your standard BMC fare; pale yellow fizzy water with a white film. Zero hop flavor/aroma, cooked corn flavor.

I'm not sure what they were going for with this brew, but they completely missed the mark if they were really trying to brew an IPA. This beer should be rebranded as an adjunct/light lager, as it's on par with PBR, Molson Canadian, Bud etc...

Terrible; avoid at all costs if you're looking for an IPA.

One of the few offerings on the shelves that wasn't a variant of Molson, Carling or LaBatt.

Pours a too-bright gold with a huge head into my glass. Something's not right here. Hmm. More fitting for a pils.

Buttery malt in the nose? Check. Low hop presence? Check. Is it an English IPA? ("Price is Right" losing horn)

Tastes like I just drank a pint of dishwater. Hardly any hops, malt or anything.

Watery, metallic finish completes this abomination of an IPA. No, scratch this. This is a drain pour.

Being that this is the "Pride of Nova Scotia", I'd be shocked if empty cans didn't litter the grounds of Sunnyvale Trailer Park.

More like a mediocre pilsner!

Does not taste like an IPA. I would've been better off getting water

1.03/5  rDev -60.5%

Not an ipa, terrible beer.

1.06/5  rDev -59.4%

Massive buildup of foam over the clear pale yellow liquid. Aromas of cooked asparagus, clear as a bell. Also aromas of lime corn chips. All of this is far more repelling in a beer than it would be on a plate of course. I keep going back for a smell, wondering if it will be possible to swallow this flawed concoction. As the foam settles it only gets worse; detergent, mescal and composted pine clippings. The hops chemistry is psychotic.
I suppose it would be possible to keep down a swallow, but I choose instead to spit it out. Vegetal, astringent ... why go on? If this were ice cold and I was desperate for alcohol it might be possible to drink this.

Very foul stuff.

1.06/5  rDev -59.4%

I live in Nova Scotia, love IPAs and overall this is a horrible beer. Don't waste your money on this garbage. I wouldn't drink it if it was free.

1.08/5  rDev -58.6%

Tried the draught beer at two different pubs in the Vancouver area. Big mistake. A thin watery product.

1.11/5  rDev -57.5%

I recently inquired at the bar in a restaurant in Banff whether they had any IPAs. The bartender said “not really,” but mentioned the Alexander Keith's IPA, so (against his advice) I ordered one. I initially assumed that I had been served some other type of beer, given the very low hop rate and prominent sweetness. I also thought I detected a slight banana - clove essence like you get from the type of yeast normally used for wheat beers; if so, that is definitely not a characteristic of IPA. So, as it turned out, I WAS served some other type of beer. In any event, since I have a low tolerance for sweetness and dislike wheat beer yeasts, I left the remainder of the bottle. Have they checked any style guidelines? This “IPA” lacks the three distinguishing characteristics of an IPA: (1) a high hopping rate, (2) the proper grain bill, and (3) an ale yeast.

I was about to warn my companions not to order this beer, but then it occurred to me that it might be amusing to watch the expressions on their faces when they tried it. But, I couldn’t go through with it, so I had them taste mine instead.

Everyone was incredulous (that it is sold as an IPA). It was kind of funny (but the joke was on me). “IPA” - ha!

I can't in good conscience rate this anything other than very low. Not only is it not an IPA (English- or American-style), it just tasted bad (to me). Of course, I was expecting something hoppy with a rich mouthfeel.

Rank

1.11/5  rDev -57.5%

Although most beer drinkers don't know it, "India Pale Ales" (named such because they were brewed to last the long, turbulent journey from Britain to the sub-continent) were only "pale" by comparison to other beers at the time. IPAs, historically, are reddish copper and this bright, brilliant, watery yellow colour is nice, but most out of place.

I really avoid at all cost using the word "urine" with reference to beers; while some beers have an equally intense, off-putting smell as urine does, very few (if any) ever actually harbor a smell resembling it. That being said, this beer, in all honesty, actually does smell a little like it (along with a dab of rotten orchard fruit and a good dose of vinegar).

Note that I've made no mention of hops. And I'm not likely to at all, unless to say that I'm not smelling/tasting/sensing any. If the beer's mismatched appearance didn't let on that this thing is an IPA in name only, there's no mistaking it from the taste. Not only is there no - not virtually no, but literally no - presence of hops, there's no maltiness either.

Instead, there is a cloying, disagreeable, synthetic taste of corn syrup and... only God knows what else. Thankfully the aftertaste is negligible, but those first few seconds after the swallow are pure hell for the palate. The beer is distasteful, nauseating, too repugnant even to be called insipid. It is abhorrently gross and, in plain English, ruthlessly bad.

I don't know what's worse: the fact that this is an offensive, objectionable, abominably awful rendition of a classic style or that it's just an utterly disgusting, unpalatable offering in its own right. No, it's the fact that they call this an "IPA" when clearly it's nothing more than an industrially-produced, adjunct-ridden macro lager (and a terrible one at that!)

1.14/5  rDev -56.3%

Probably the worst IPA I've ever had

1.23/5  rDev -52.9%

A - VERY pale. This is closer in colour to a light beer than an IPA. There is some visible carbonation, about average for an IPA.

S - Very faint malt aroma. I don't detect any hops on the nose, which for an IPA is puzzling.

T - The palate is a very light, crisp malt profile. No bitterness or hops at all. Barely more flavour than a Coors Light or Bud Lite. Disappointing and not even remotely resembling the style.

M - Light body with some carbonation. This has a good/typical mouthfeel for a lager, not an IPA. The overall mouth feel is not all that bad. If this was a lager, I would give it an average rating, but if you want to call yourself an IPA, I am going to rate you as an IPA, which is not impressive at all.

Overall this is a decent beer, but is NOT AN IPA. The fact that they call it an IPA is truly disappointing. My rating above take in to account that this is supposed to be be an IPA. If they called it "Keith's Lager" I would probably give is a C or C-.

Puzzling...

1.24/5  rDev -52.5%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.25

There is a sign by the road in Ingonish, Nova Scotia, that says, "If its nae Scottish, it's crrrrap." This stuff is nae Scottish. I'm pretty sure it's nae beer, either. I laughed out loud when I read a reviewer's note below that he assumed they'd hooked the wrong keg up to the tap, which is exactly what I asked the waitress. She apologized, said it might have happened, and brought me a bottle of it instead. One sip and I realized the error had happened at the brewery, when they created this swill, rather than at the bar. New rule: always, always, always consult Beer Advocate before trying something new. Sad, but better safe than sorry.

1.24/5  rDev -52.5%