Love Belgian Beer?

Style: American Amber / Red Ale

Added by Barraclou on 03-17-2006

Reviews: 86 | Ratings: 210
2.39/5  rDev -16.7%

A 20oz pint at Ceili's, an Irish-themed pub across the alley from my condo, and a popular after-work location to kvetch and such, with my fellow downtown colleagues.

This beer arrives at the table appearing a clear, dark bronze, reddish amber hue, with a thin cap of wispy, bubbly off-white head, which leaves a few swaths of weirdly sudsy lace around the glass as things evenly subside.

It smells of muted, semi-sweet, and lightly caramelized grain, toasted corn, and a bit of wet grass and sour vegetation. The taste is plain, bland caramel malt, some dry grain, origins well obfuscated - like that old box of breakfast cereal that you still thought was 'ok' - some weak floral hoppiness, but not enough to make any difference, and an unpleasant, sour metallic character, that only gets worse as it warms.

The carbonation is quite high, but thankfully only in a mostly innocuous, frothy manner, somewhat masking many of the actual 'flavours', the body on the light side, and very macro lager like in its smoothness, go figure. It finishes off-dry, same shit, same channel.

In the end, this is very much in the same vein as those stale Shreddies that you can't remember buying, as already alluded to. I admittedly have a love/hate relationship with this beer - I had it for the first time the night that I met my girlfriend (the beer options were limited, I was distracted...by the whisky), and now, under veritable scrutiny (shah, right!), it duly withers.

2.44/5  rDev -15%

The best aspect of this beer is the gorgeous colour that it pours.

Poured this into a tall lager glass. Good two finger head disapeared right away, almost no lacing.

Aroma is sweet malt and some roasted grain. Some fruit, grapes?

The flavours are sweet malty grain, phenol, extract?, uh I wish I could say I tasted hops but it would be a lie, caramel malts are detected

Mouthfeel is way overcarbonated, and the body is too light IMO.

This beer is drinkable, I would try it on tap but I don't think I'd buy it again.

3.1/5  rDev +8%

Picked up a sixer of this after trying the Honey Brown offering from the same brewery. Got it at a gas station somewhere in Montreal. Poured into a pint tumbler.

A: Poured a very, very light amber that had some red highlights when held to light. The proper term for the color might have been copper. The head was very light, and foamy. The head had a very meager retention. Not all that great.

S: Smell was of some caramel malt and maybe some hops. Not much was wafting my way. Kind of lame but a bit was there.

T: Taste was of hops and malt. There was a touch of grains but nothing too crazy. The taste is very subdued and reminds of an american micro. There was also a hint of metallic blech, in there.

M: Thin, watery. This brew was amazingly thin, but it did go down easy. The after taste is mostly of metallic flavors. This beer is very refreshing due to carbonation and its thin feel. Quenches the thirst just as you would expect from anything BMC.

D: Due to the feel, you can drink a lot of this without it weighing heavily on you. The beer is not spectacular in any category, just very run of the mill. It is drinkable and even more drinkable when compared to American BMC stuff. Still it is middle of the road. So sad because I had such high expectations after drinking the Honey Brown offering.

2.32/5  rDev -19.2%

a: This was a clear coppery amber color. It was served to me with a medium sized head that faded fairly quickly.

s: Very little to speak of. Very faint floral hops and a little hint of something sweet.

t: This was pretty bland. There was a little caramel sweetness that was a touch off. mostly just a generic "beer" flavor.

m: Not bad, but the carbonation faded pretty quickly.

d: Saw it on tap and had never heard of it so I gave it a try.

3.28/5  rDev +14.3%

This beer poured an amber color with red highlights, appropriately enough. There was a minimal head that dissipated quickly. The smell is a little subtle on this one, and all I'm picking up is some malt. The taste is starts off with some sweet breadiness with a very small amount of hops in the background. The mouthfeel is slightly thick with medium carbonation. This beer is very drinkable, and I wouldn't mind sipping on some of these all night.

2.74/5  rDev -4.5%

Poured a 12oz beer into my Smokestack goblet. This beer pours almost a grape/maroonish red with a big fluffy off white head that left lacing down the majority of the glass. The aroma is roasted grains and a bit of a mild sweetness. The taste reminded me of dry stale cheerios with a hint of subtle sacchariney sweetness. The mouthfeel is highly carbonated and a bit astringent. This would be a good beer if you wanted something to drink quickly and in large quantities. Not the best sipper.

2.82/5  rDev -1.7%

Poured in my glass and the color was good. Good head formed at the top.

Drank. This beer as very little taste. I'm more use to tasty beer so this one is dull.

I couldn't get any smell at all from this one.

The head and bubbles look good while the head disappear very quickly.

Still got 3 bottles which I will try again, at least one more but I'm sure my opinion on it will not change.

Too commercial?!

Drinker target: General audience who prefer their beers taste less... sad.

2.75/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 4 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I picked up a can of this brew on a trip to Ontario.
Drinking at cellar temp, poured into a pint glass.
The beer pours a nice clear amber color with a small fluffy oatmeal colored head foaming up and fading gradually.
Aroma is grainy malt and some herbal hops but also just a touch of some unpleasant plasticy phenol notes. uh oh.
First sip reveals an average body and fine rolling carbonation. Texture is a little watery.

Flavor is caramel and husky grain with some herbal hops in the background. the flavor is probably the best thing this beer has going for it. not an outstanding flavor but certainly not awful either.
I probably wont buy this one again.

3.46/5  rDev +20.6%

A- Pours a very nice reddish/amber color, just like the name
describes. I poured hard, to get an idea of the head, and it started off decently thick, about 1 inch, but with the large bubbles, quickly disappeared into nothing more than a foamy skin on top of the beverage, but it offers more than some other beers I've had...actually sticks to the side of the glass. Good carbonation happening upon closer inspection.

S- Slightly sweet/malty would probably best describe the aroma of this ale. Not as pronounced as say, Rickards, but decently average. Maybe just a slight tinge of bread pudding.

T- I have to admit, this is the last bottle of a 12 pack that I bought to try this out, but haven't opened this last bottle for at least 3 months, if not longer. With that said, I actually like the flavor more than I remember. Even though my favorite domestic is Keith's "IPA", this I find has a little more of a hop presence and more flavor than the original, nice mild malty presence in the front of the palate and moderate bitterness to finish off, especially when in the throat. Actually leaves a bit of a mildly sweet aftertaste, which is nice.

M- Definately smoother than I remember, but still a heavy carbonation factor, as the appearance would suggest. Light/Medium body, nothing too serious however. I like the this more so in a lighter refreshing beer, like the IPA....would prefer less carbonation.

D- Definately can handle a few of these in a sitting, but think a couple of these would work better with a meal...probably pasta. Was and still am ever so slightly dissapointed with this brew from Keith's but wouldn't be opposed to ordering in a pub or purchasing again. I suggest at least trying it....I think it will be one of those average brews you try, but I think I'm being hard on this one b/c I love their original so much!

2.47/5  rDev -13.9%

Not a Keith's fan, their, ahem, "IPA" literally makes me feel ill (seriously, I'm not just bashing). Nonetheless, was at a restaurant last night with a craptacular beer selection and figured I'd try something different.

Nice looking. Deep red. On tap gave it a really nice white head with some staying power and some surprisingly decent lacings.

Chalky macro smell. *sigh*

Pretty tasteless overall. It definately fits into the style, a very British feel to this one. Buttery bread, slightly floral hops and a sort of fruity malt backbone, I get raspberries. I'm being pretty generous here. Chalky, macro aftertaste, blah.

Horrible body, like drinking water.

A decent enough macro, I'd certainly take it over Keith's IPA, but it's relatively tasteless and way too thin.

3.92/5  rDev +36.6%

Taken in context this is probably the best brew I've had since arriving in eastern Canada. They advertise 2 cans of this in my box of IPA from Alexander Keiths. It has a reddish hue around the edges and copper in the core. Smell is sweet malts and a subtle baked bread in the distance.

This was very refreshing and has a wonderfully quick snap of bitterness and carbonation to keep it clean and drinkable. The sweetness is mostly up front and reminds me of dark hard candy with some brown sugar. The sweet side is hardly the story here though as a quck fizzy and sharp carbonation holds it together and allows the hops to bring it full circle.

I just hope I can find this at the JK's pool hall tonight. Oh well, If not I can't go wrong with some Alpine or Molson Canadian. This my friends is a winner and would seek this out if I return to this area again soon.

3.65/5  rDev +27.2%

The appearance is excellent. Dark, reddish and cloudy. Good head. Great cascading color. The smell is sweet and citrusy.

As far as taste goes I found it to be excellent. It's sweet, smooth and goes down great. The mouthfeel was super smooth but a bit flat though.

Overall, this is a great Canadian beer that I would order any time I get the chance to. It's a great red.

3.16/5  rDev +10.1%

This beer looks very impressive upon the pour,but that's as good as it get's,great looking brew,but lools are decieving.Beautiful deep amber,mahogney color with a rocky bubbly tan head of good size,sticks around long enough to enjoy the looks and mild lacing.Nose to this one is faint on everything,a little toffee mixed in with some butter and malts and some prunes.Taste is kinda bland,was expecting a lot more,not much there,some sweetness coming at you from the toffee,a little bitterness,kinda tangy stale dry taste all coming at you at once with a hint of metallic,was really expecting a more wholesome maltier caramel kinda flavor,guess i was expecting too much.Easy to consume,not really that bad but expectations were high and flavor was kinda bland for me.Rickards Red has a lot more to offer for the same price.

Bland, uninspired brew from Keith's.

Copper colour with a thick white head. Generic malt with a metallic tone. Low hop profile.

Boring malt taste with a slighlty acidic hop undertone. Nothing too exciting, but not overly horrible. A bit light on the taste.

A bit watery, but otherwise not horrible. Sessionable, but not the best for that.

3.03/5  rDev +5.6%

October 5, Alexander Keith's Birthday, let's go out for dinner. Keith's on sale, good... only the IPA, not the Amber, bad...
Nice looking amber ale, actually was quite a red color when held to the light. Clear liquid with an off-white head with good retention and some thin lace. Some caramel malty aroma. Slightly sweet, malty flavor. Smooth, low carbonation made it slightly creamy mouthfeel. Comparable to Rickard Reds, I would drink this before Keith's IPA.

2.21/5  rDev -23%

More of a dark orange than a red colour, with a small but lasting half finger head. Very light smelling. Some sweet scents, but nothing I can specify. Tastes alright. Bit of malts and candy, with a dry aftertaste. Little overcarbonated, almost to the point of being harsh. Not bad, but nothing great either. A rather forgetable ale.

2.56/5  rDev -10.8%

figured a $5.00 hit at the local draft bar is cheaper than $20+/case for a beer that may or may not suck.

decent looking red ale..certainly has the copper red mahogany color down pat. Clear as clear with a tan head that showed decent head and good lacing.

Had a real tuff time picking up any sort of aroma from this beer.

Smoother, more full bodied than teir so-called IPA. Having said that, the over-all flavour is balnd. Can't nail the malt taste..not really caramel, but almost leathery in taste if that's even possible.

At least it's closer to a ARA than their other offering is to an IPA

3.15/5  rDev +9.8%

Never being particularily impressed with Keith's so-called IPA (the IPA which isn't), I wasn't expecting much out of this. Poured out the bottle into a pint glass and watched as the minimal off white head quickly dissapated into the standard macro froth. Faily low carbonation. Nice orangy re colour tho. On drinking, slight lacing appeared. Smells like not a whole lot...Tastes alright, slightly alcohol notes immediately (a bit much for my liking) quickly disolve to fairly nice caramel malts with a hint of hoppy bitterness. Barely any aftertaste. Good balance on the carbonation. I think the alcohol level isn't hidden enough. Strange even though they claim 5%. Not a bad session beer. I can drink this. Theres just nothing really special about this. Tastes better when really cold. Seems like a good candidate for that silly "subzero" draught you can get the likes of Coors light in.

3.07/5  rDev +7%

Went into the newly-available (in Ontario, at least) Keith's Red expecting either a Keith's IPA with red dye or a bland Rickard's Red clone. So in this respect, at least, I was presently surprised, because it's neither (though certainly much closer to the latter). It's also worth pointing out that I rather detest the standard Keith's.

473mL can, a single picked up from the LCBO. Pours into the pint glass a copper-red-amber, fairly translucent (but not too bad). Capped by an unfortunate head of only one finger (a head which dies almost immediately). Fairly significant lacing, but nothing special. If this brew could support a healthy cap, it would look quite appetizing. Sadly, it can't, and so doesn't.

Smell is pleasant, but neither complex nor particularly compelling. Sweet malt, mostly, big caramel, maybe some vague honey and heather. Biscuity and/or bready. I thought, at first, that I'd picked up some aromatic hops (slight citrus, flowers) at first, but if they're there, they quickly disappear.

Taste is more of the same - no hops to be detected, just lots of malt. Which is sometimes nice, but makes this (like Keith's other offerings) a not very-well rounded beer. On the plus side, you can't taste the adjunct (if there is any). Quite sweet initially (and throughout), caramel malt, with some bread and biscuit a bit subdued under that. Finishes nicely, and leaves a sweet malt aftertaste - but again, where are the hops? Some citrus hops finally assert themselves after almost twenty minutes, but they're hardly noticeable, on the whole.

The carbonation, thankfully, is not macro-heavy; unfortunately, though, it feels almost flat instead. Seems to be trouble in finding a nice balance. On the whole, however, I do rather like the mouthfeel - the body is good, if a bit... oily. And drinkability, when you combine the complete lack of bitterness with the under-carbonation, is exceptionally high. I could see this as a session beer, but only if my stated goal were to get completely blitzed from drink one. Otherwise, there's really not much point to this malt-water.

Part of me likes Keith's Red, part of me loathes it. I can see myself drinking it, but certainly not when I'm in a Beer Advocate mood. Rickard's Red is still the flagship macro red, and this shows a bit of promise, but I think I'll stay away for now.

2.72/5  rDev -5.2%

Finally got to review the canned version from the singles bin at the LCBO.

Poured the same clear copper as the draft version...same flaccid head

Aroma: Not very fresh..sweet caramel notes some graininess

Flavor: Not much substance for a darker ale ,....no fruit notes no real malt notes but a pervasive caramel sweetness...quick clean finish, no off tastes just exceedlingly bland and nondescript.

Again this is a unchallenging commercial ale...very approachable for a wide segment of the market...but not for me personally...I may have been harsh on it but I'm getting sick of this fear-to-challenge-blandness trend in new beers from corporate brewers...times have changed go bigger or go home.

3.33/5  rDev +16%

A - Pours a fairly dark red with a copious head. A little loose but thick.

S - Quite malty, with a touch of hops. Kinda lagery with a toasty kick.

T - Not bad. Reminds me of an EPA-lite - a bit of toastiness, slight hops. Bitterness isn't huge, but perhaps more hop bitterness than flavour here.

M - Carbonation is a bit harsh - no surprise there. Odd spiciness as well that bites at the tongue. Not as light as expected.

D - Not bad, esp. for a Keith's product.

3.16/5  rDev +10.1%

I tried this on tap at a local establishment. In the glass it was a nice reddish colour with a small tan-coloured head. The aroma was slightly malty and not very strong. The taste was decent. Not very malty, and not metallic. It was mild to the tongue, not a lot of carbonation.

Pours a clear reddish brown, decent medium white head forms, some lacing, good retention. Actually looks okay. Smell is sweet, some malts are in there, adjuncts, kind of a spicy herbal aroma. Taste is sweet, corny, bit of caramel, light citrus, balanced. Mouthfeel is light body, medium carbonation. Lightyears better than normal Keith's, but still not very good. Pretty drinkable though.

3.42/5  rDev +19.2%

Alexander Keith’s Red is a middle of the Red it is not horrible by any means but it not spectacular either.

Appearance- A Red-brown almost bronze color that pours with a full head.

Smell- A little bit sweet with some hops thrown in.

Taste- More hops than malt slightly metallic.

Mouthfeel. Medium to full bodied.

Drinkability- A good pub beer It is definitely worth a try.

2.49/5  rDev -13.2%

Pours a dark amber color with a small shortlived head and minimal lacing. The aroma is sweet and weak. There's a bit of cooked cereal and sourness in the nose as well. The taste is one dimensional and sweet with some astringent flavors. Hops are very restrained. A bit of caramel is muddled in the background. The mouthfeel is medium and somewhat coating. The finish is sweet and malty.

This is the best Keith's beer Ive tried. Its still pretty lackluster though. They need to start using hops.

Alexander Keith's Red Amber Ale from Alexander Keith's