Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Punkuccino | Elysian Brewing Company

Availability: Fall

Added by billab914 on 10-24-2013

4.16/5  rDev -0.2%

4.48/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.21/5  rDev +1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

3.66/5  rDev -12.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

3.81/5  rDev -8.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.96/5  rDev -5%

4.37/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

4.13/5  rDev -1%

4.49/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Really good with cinnnamon sugar rim.

4.37/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.15/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

3.36/5  rDev -19.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

So my last trip for a beer run I kinda went haywire with pumpkin and marzen beer, thus being reflected in my previous consumptions. I saw this and thought, ooh that sound tasty. I am not a huge fan of Elysian, some of their stuff is hit or miss for me. Poured into a pint glass at 47 degrees. The head, I should say the lack thereof, was abysmal. It was an agressive pour yet resulted in nodda for a head. The head that did form was about 1/4 inch thick light tan ring that was super airy, I am disappointed. The body of the beer is dark brown with reddish hue was visible once I put up to the light.

A smell of the coffee first then milk chocolate, good pumpkin spices ( cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice), a dark roasty malt note, a touch burnt, brown sugar, molasses, yeast, bready, biscuit, earthiness, pumpkin, floral, and subtle grassy note.

I taste milk chocolate and pumpkin first off with the
coffee trailing on the end. Good pumpkin spices (see above). bready, molasses, brown sugar, floral, grass, roasty toasty malt notes, and some yeast.

Mouthfeel: The body of the beer to me is medium minus bordering on light plus. The carbonation is good, a touch astringent, and medium finish.
Overall: This is not a beer to jump up and down about. The flavors are good, but I feel it lacks balance. Calling this a Punkuccino, i would expect a coffee kick somewhere in this beer, I just did not see it. I thought the body of the beer was a touch light for me and the head was a dismal sight. I would not buy this beer unless maybe it was improved upon and then I would try the 2.0 version, but I would not buy again.

3.89/5  rDev -6.7%

Poured into a Duvel glass.

Look: A very dark brown body, as brown as can be without being black. The head is light cream colored and settles to a nice thick film, with spots and squiggly lines of lacing.

Aroma: Notes of dark milk chocolate, cinnamon, allspice.

Taste: Milk chocolate and cinnamon really attack the palate right off the bat followed by the bitterness of dark coffee roast and pumpkin spice. This is definitely sweet as well.

Mouthfeel: Almost perfect, but it is on the light side, if it were a touch creamier I’d be delighted.

Overall: I kept wanting to give this beer a big score but it just didn’t get there in any category. Don’t get me wrong, I like it a lot, but for one $8 bottle I wanted just a little more. Also, I expected more coffee, I tasted and smelled mostly chocolate. Excellent use of pumpkin spices, it definitely is a pumpkin beer. Glad I tried it, but perhaps only once unless they sell it in other formats, thus the love/hate relationship with bombers.

4.17/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

3.81/5  rDev -8.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pumpkin, spices and coffee what's not to like

3.87/5  rDev -7.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.21/5  rDev +1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

3.98/5  rDev -4.6%

Poured a dark brown body with minimal head. Aroma has notes of sweet pumpkin-like smells and some mild coffee w/ hint of lactic quality (espresso). The beer is light/thin with a more mild espresso taste and feel with subtle pumpkin spice and minimal sweetness w/ clean finish.

4.62/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

3.94/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

3.38/5  rDev -18.9%

I don't see a date listed on the bottle.

Appearance: The beer appears black with a frothy light khaki head. The head is medium-sized and retains fairly well. Lacing doesn't form much beyond a few spots.

Aroma: There is a nice cinnamon aroma and a roasted coffee scent.

Taste: It tastes like cinnamon with a light bit of coffee.

Mouthfeel: It has a slightly textured mouthfeel with a touch of bite from the cinnamon.

Overall: The dominant flavor in the beer is cinnamon and It doesn't have any of the other pumpkin pie spices. There isn't much coffee flavor but it does pop up from time to time behind the bold cinnamon flavor. Overall the beer is still enjoyable but it seems off-balance and I probably wouldn't buy it again given the alternatives.

4.38/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Poured almost soda like in color, medium head and lacing. Nose was nice, coffee, pumpkin, spices. The taste followed the nose, this is probably one of my favorite pumpkin beers, it was very good. Light to medium feel, very easy to drink.

4.34/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

top 5 pumpkin coffee beer. extremely balanced with all the right advertised notes. unfiltered. at 6% one wants to really guzzle the entire bottle. its actually a refreshing thirst quenching pumpkin beer. I do however prefer their 'great pumpkin' offering to this.

Punkuccino from Elysian Brewing Company