BiFrost | Elysian Brewing Company

Washington, United States
elysianbrewing.com

Style: Winter Warmer

Added by PhantomVodoo on 11-25-2003

5/5. A truly remarkable beer. Outstanding amber-gold coloration with an unbelievably smooth, rich taste. I bought a 6 pack for a weekend beer, and was just star-struck by every aspect of this beer. Even the label is on-point. You can't go wrong with Elysian Bifrost Winter Ale. The only downside to this masterpiece is the fact that it probably is only available regionally. If you ever find yourself in the pacific northwest during the season, do yourself a favor and give this beer a whirl.

4.95/5  rDev +32.7%

Elysian BiFrost - 3/3/2013 - bottle 22oz - bottle conditioned

Aroma - Citrusy American hops - big hop aroma.

Appearance - Light orange, white head

Taste - Full hop flavor - wonderful bitterness, a bit of caramel in aftertaste

Mouthfeel - Moderate carbonation, light-medium body

Overall - I've had this hoppy winter warmer before, and thought it was fine, but this year's version was amazing. A lighter colored counterpart to Sierra Nevada Celebration, emphasizing the hops. My favorite winter warmer this past season.

4.85/5  rDev +30%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.85/5  rDev +30%

This poured the golden color of a cloud just before the sun burns it off. Not the normal dark caramel color of most PNW winter beers.

I don't remember much about the foam since my eyes were closed and my nose was in it. A pretty much perfect aroma for me: it tells you what is coming and yet seems complete all in itself. Hoppy, but not the overblown (to me) eucolyptus and piny hops. There is malt in the nose and balance of bitter and sweet. It smells of beer heaven, not of a gimick, a distillery, a wood barrel, or a shopping list of chemical ingrediants.

The taste is a lovely mixing of richness, bitter, and honey. Like the crust of french bread dabbed with butter and fresh honey. A beer that felt like it was built just for me.

Elysian has become one of my favorite breweries. I wish they would do six packs, I can't always squeeze in the time for a bomber. Sadly.

4.75/5  rDev +27.3%

4.7/5  rDev +26%

4.66/5  rDev +24.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a pint glass.

Honey-colored (or lighter side of Ochre yellow) with big, slow bubbles, and a medium, willowy head that shrinks but quick.
A simple yet superb malty sweetness.
Taste follows the nose, with a brief, slight booze burn on the mouth's roof. After a few gulps the bubbles begin to pop, crisp and sour, but not sharp. Bold. Tastes stronger than the 8.3%.

Have not had this style in some time. Refreshing, strong, simple. Not the last bottle I will be picking up!

4.6/5  rDev +23.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Wow, what a great winter warmer. Tastes like apricots, brandy, yet not boozy. A session barley wine (oxymoron)? I finally found a strong beer my wife likes!

4.59/5  rDev +23.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.58/5  rDev +22.8%

Thanks to skyhand for this special treat...
Honey amber in color...a hefty dose of white head and attractive lacing as it recedes.
Subdued in the aroma, some sweet caramel malt and a hint of citrus.
Taste is one of the best I've ever savored...sickly balanced with sweet malt and a hoppiness that you would typically find in most IPA's. As true to the style, the bitterness takes a back seat to the malty sweetness...citrus (mainly oranges), honey, and subtle spice in the finish.
Mouthfeel was full bodied...thick without getting syrupy.
Carbonation was just right and the drinkability was thru the roof.
Easily, one of the most impressive limited offerings I've had recently...certainly not your "typical" winter warmer, but was perfect for me.

4.52/5  rDev +21.2%

Ahh, dear Elysian..I miss these nights we used to spend together.
The Bifrost is an angelic creature, mightily ringed like Saturn, and orange like its glower. It appears the recipe has changed from centennial to simcoe bittering (according to their menu) and the smoothness of the bitterness I would attribute to this alteration. Bristle and pine, slight earthy spice and floral. Big aromas but I'm not getting much citrus, a hint perhaps. The finish is amarillo and styr goldings. A little bit of sweet bread. Tastes like these hops are licking your teeth, nice bitterness, but very sticky and very delicious. Dangerous folks over there, crafting this beast.

4.51/5  rDev +20.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

22 oz bottle given to me as a gift for cat sitting for a week. Worth it! I drank this thing down in less time than it took to walk home (15 mins). Just couldnt stop sipping it. By far one of the best overall beers Ive tried, winter or otherwise. Cheers!

4.48/5  rDev +20.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.48/5  rDev +20.1%

4.47/5  rDev +19.8%

Hazey pale orange with a very thin cap of off-white foam. Lots of lacing in thick webby sheeting coats the glass.

Aroma is thick and fairly full of broad intensity from a big load of juicy, citrusy hops and caramel covered bread dough.

Taste is just as broad, lacking some fullness until the finish where it gets a bit more complex and thick. Citrus stays the course from start to finish with bittering tangerine skins and blended dark orange flavors. Quite nice really. The malts stay in the back, the way back, with a pale malt dryness and some doughy sweetness. Keeps a tilted balance as the hops are heavy on the flavors and character leaving the malts behind to do just a little bit of placement along the way. Quite orangey. My tongue is getting a work out. Whew...

Feel is abourt medium with a heavy citrus carry-on of orange flavored luggage that provides extra heft to the overall payload. A bit of warm and rough hoppy citric skin and pithy texture finds its way once you get into it. Gets SO much more vigorous as it warms my head is swimming with sillyness now.

Mucho yummy stuff. Must find book, toolie, toolie, orange sky is beautiful, yum-yum...huh...

4.46/5  rDev +19.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.45/5  rDev +19.3%

I haven't felt compelled to review a beer on here in a while, and I've actually been drinking somewhat rarely lately, but tonight being a special occasion, I thought I'd pick one of these up. Boy, am I glad I did!

This ale looks and smells quite good... lacing is moderate, but sticky. Smell is of piney, citrusy, and earthy hops. The taste! Oh my God, the TASTE! Highest rating! Being that smell is a large part of taste, I can't say much more than that they go together PERFECTLY, but the initial whiff does not foreshadow what the tongue is in for: beer bliss. Seriously. Wow. This is a keeper! I'm not going to attempt to describe it, other than it's an ideal balance between malt and hop characteristics with NO trace of chemical nastiness--and, the alcohol is almost completely masked.

The mouthfeel is smooth, clingy, oily, makes you want to swish it around a little before swallowing... it's just heavenly. Only some of the high dollar Belgians can top this, and then, only barely.

I'm quite convinced this is Elysian's best offering so far, and I've tried them all. I live in Seattle, so that's pretty easy! They're always fresh at my local Metropolitan Market, and usually on sale. This is my "work week is finally over" treat.

This time, was it ever!