Dragonstooth Oatmeal Stout | Elysian Brewing Company

elysianbrewing.com

Style: Oatmeal Stout

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-20-2002

4.25/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.25/5  rDev +5.5%

Purchased in a bomber from Redland's Liquors for about $5.49 in a bomber.

I pour into an old Mesa Theater tall-pilsner glass. I know it isn't ideal for the style but my belled glass in unavailable. The ale is dark, dark, dark. I searched around the house for a light source that would penetrate the beer and when I couldn't find one I poured a bit into a vodka chimney and only than did the color appear anything other than black (deep red hued burnt-umber for the record). The head is about 3 fingers and fluffy with a moderate dissipation rate, but the most remarkable thing about it is its deep sepia color.

The smells are also deep and dark: Italian-roast coffee, concentrated stone-fruits and a bit of smoke. Along with the wafting alcohol, these combine to make for a very welcoming and warming nose.

The mouthfeel is full but far from syrupy. It is nearly chewy but plenty dry to finish without a cloying experience. The carbonation is moderate, maybe a bit high for a stout but I am not complaining.

The flavor of this ale is rich and complex: sweet, tart, bitter, and savory in a much higher quantity than I usually experience in a beer. Savory is not a flavor I typically associate with beer of any type, even the dark ales and lagers, but this is a welcome exception.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.25/5  rDev +5.5%

Had this on tap at Elysian Fields.

Probably my favorite year-round beer for Elysian. Dragonstooth is quite nice in bottle, and even better on tap. Now if only they had it nitro...

A - Nice depth of black with a good micro-foam mocha-colored head. Above average lacing as well.

S - Rich aromas of espresso and dark chocolate. Some sweetness and a slight hint of hops.

T - A very well-balanced flavor of bitter dark chocolate, espresso, roasted grain and sweetness. Rich and luxurious. Hops add to the dark chocolate effect - very nice. Improves further as it warms a bit.

M - Heavy body and creamy smooth. Viscous. Light to medium carbonation.

D - A great all around beer, and one to go back to for sure. ABV is well hidden.

4.24/5  rDev +5.2%

4.24/5  rDev +5.2%

A: Pours a dark black color with a good sized frothy brown head, great head retention down the glass.
S: Smells of lots of chocolate and piney hops
T: Dark chocolate flavors, dark roasted malts and a great hop bitterness at the end.
M: In my opinion this couldn't be more perfect, this beer is so creamy smooth its rediculous.
D: I'm normally not one for stouts but this is really good...I would buy this one again for sure. One of the best Elysian beers I've had.

4.23/5  rDev +5%

From a bottle, pours an opaque black with a one-finger lingering dark tan head. Rich aroma of dark roasted malt. Taste follows as very malt forward, with noticeable carbonation, a decently full mouth feel, and a hop driven tangy finish. While it's somewhat "creamy", it's carbonation and hoppy-tang make this fairly UN-oatmeal-stout-like ... but still a solidly nice stout.

4.23/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Bomber to Lawson's sniffer

A: pours dark brown with a thin mocha head completely opaque

S: starts off with off with strong smells of dark chocolate with rich creamy roasted coffee you can smell the toasted malts and oats as well no alcohol

T: there is some roasted coffee in there it is smooth and creamy like the nose with a hint of sweetness from maybe milk chocolate. A roasted taste of oats lasts throughout the finish. However, there is also a weird taste if some far fruit that doesn't quite match the flavor profile but it a subtitle flavor that I may be mistaking for alcohol but it does throw off the taste for me.

M: the feel is thick and chewy toffee like but not to a extreme extent there is some light carbonation to balance out the feel on top of that it is quite drinkable

O: I'm really impressed with beer I wasn't expecting this much from a low alcohol content for an imperial oatmeal stout. There is a delicious smells, near perfect taste, good looks, and a solid well balanced mouthfeel. A really good beer I would definitely try again.

4.23/5  rDev +5%

~ Purchased this 22 oz bomber from Big Z Beverage in Huntington, NY. I must say, at first, I did not really know what to expect from this beer? Sure, I had a very good idea on how it was going to taste, but I snatched this at 50% off, and at $2.75 I am sure you would not know what to expect either.

This stout pours dark brown with a nice lasting tan head. Aromas are of roasted malt, chocolate, and some oatmeal. As this stout warms up - so do all the flavors. The hops are under control, so this treat went down way too damn smooth. I felt this was just a little on the light side for a beer of this magnitude, but hey, I am not complaining. It is so civilized. At a little more than 7% ABV, I feel I could drink this all day long. A truly unexpected surprise! ~

Dragonstooth Oatmeal Stout from Elysian Brewing Company