Avatar Jasmine IPA

Gots
SCORE
Very Good
Avatar Jasmine IPAAvatar Jasmine IPA
Notes: An IPA with a very floral aroma and flavor that is elegantly balanced, allowing subtle flavor of Jasmine to prevail while still delivering the IPA’s essential hoppiness. Pour golden copper with a lively head.
Reviews: 264 | Ratings: 676
3.24/5  rDev -13.8%

Poured into a frosty glass from a bottle with about an inch of head. Light amber in colour with a bright floral sweet jasmine smell with a hint of hop. Opacity is about 10%, slightly above average with adequate lacing. Jasmine sweet floral taste is overwhelming to me with a bit of carbonation and burn. It’s an interesting beer but unless you like eating flowers, this is a bit of a perennial - something to be had every once and awhile and to an acquired taste.

3.75/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Very pleasant aroma, but nothing else really stands out to me on this one. It's not bad, just not anything that makes me have a desire to try again.

4.06/5  rDev +8%

I really dig this beer and I'm a pretty big fan of Jasmine in general. I bought a bomber at a grocery on the island of Kauai in Hawaii. With all of the Asian influence here I can see this being pretty popular in the islands. The nose is incredibly floral, authentic jasmine. It had a smooth body as well. This beer would go great with any rice based dishes or Hawaiian pork.

3.42/5  rDev -9%

The jasmine flavor comes through. It also makes the aroma odd. The taste is mild hoppy with some floral. Interesting pint worth a try. Wouldn't order it again.

4.7/5  rDev +25%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

My favorite IPA by far. Not only because of its distinctive jasmine notes, but bucause of the very palatable finish. A great summer beer, bit of course enjoy anytime! Smooth and subtle hop notes, and it is a very unique IPA. Love it!!

3.59/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Cloudy, and bright orange/amber in color. Orange cream head with streak lacing. Aroma is herbal mostly with light hints of fruit and floral. The flavor is quite like jasmine tea, which I do enjoy on occasion. A bit of citrus and biscuit malt as well. An interesting beer to try at least once for something different.

2.7/5  rDev -28.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

Lovely appearance, with the clear golden orange amber and a modest foam in the Kasteel chalice. I don't think jasmine is a flavor that should be used in tea, where it is long established, much less beer. The shock is immediate. It dulls the taste buds enough that after a while it's just irritating.

Seriously perfumey in a way that makes me gasp for more oxygen. Malt, weird sweetness, icky fruit. I have resisted trying this stuff. I can see my instincts were not wrong. Also, it's not an IPA, it's a Herb/fruit flavored concoction. From the 22 oz bottle purchased at The Market in Anacortes.

4.2/5  rDev +11.7%

I give this one a "4" for originality and drinkablilty. It's not a big "hop bomb" but more on the into IPA scale if you are wanting to jump into the hoppy side of craft beers.
You can definitely smell the jasmine on the pour. It has a sweet fruity floral aroma for sure. The overall taste is light, fruity, a bit of hop bite on the finish yet smooth and balanced. Buyer beware the jasmin is very noticable in the taste - almost like a Hallmark IPA so if you don't dig "floral notes" then you might steer clear of this one. Mouthfeel is very creamy, carbonation is perfect. All in all it's definitely worth a try. Elysian is my latest favorite brewery so I am a biased on all their beers. I haven't had a bad one yet.

3.31/5  rDev -12%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Darker yellow pour, a small 1/3" white head. Aroma was floral but not specific enough to call jasmine.

Bitter, interesting taste, a little different, I assume that is the jasmine here. But it comes at the expense of the hops being up front. Perhaps for every X amount of jasmine, they lose Y amount of hop taste and mouthfeel. I like that the bomber is cheap, but this isn't really something I would want to bang again. Originality points and not much more.

3.63/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Floral aroma with hop overtones.. ours gold/amber with thick creamy head, lots of lacing. Taste is hops, malt, spice. A little of the jasmine floral overtones are also in the background. IPA with a little difference.

3.3/5  rDev -12.2%

Poured from bomber into pint glass. Very nice amber color with a bit of haze (which I really like). The beer smells fine, not offensive but not great. I'm not a fan of the taste, I guess I don't like jasmine. I really like many of Elysian's other offerings but this just isn't my thing.

4.44/5  rDev +18.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Look: 4.25
Hazy orange/slightly gold color. Not very energetic upon pouring (only a 1-finger head with a pretty forceful pour). The head fades quickly but some carbonation remains throughout the glass – lacing and foam ring around the outside.

Smell: 4.5
Savory. Slight earthiness, some fruit, and some hops.

Taste: 4.5
A bit of bitterness from hops, but must not be very high in IBU. It gets very sweet quickly. There are many fruit flavors that seem to swirl around the palette: peach, mango, pineapple, sweet orange, white grape. There are definite herbal notes (herbs, spices, jasmine -of course). The sweetness backs off a bit and then there are biscuit, caramel, malt, wheat, and cracker flavors. There is a nice and savory buttery flavor. At the end, fruit, caramel, and flowers/herbs, linger on.

Feel: 4
Medium bodied but lighter. A bit on the flatter side towards the end. Could benefit from some more carbonation/head retention. Slightly slick and oily.

Overall: 4.5
I really liked this IPA. It is well balanced between bitterness, herbal notes, sweetness, and maltiness. An interesting IPA that isn’t as hoppy as a typical IPA, but complex in flavor. Hop heads will probably not like this one. If you like IPAs that are different and not heavy on the bitterness side, then you should try this one.

1.24/5  rDev -67%

I found this on the shelf at the beer store and was intrigued, I had never had an IPA brewed with flowers so I must give it a try. Poured it into a glass, looked like beer, smelled ok. Took a sip and nearly gagged. I thought to my self, this can't be that bad, took another sip and swished it around. OMG this is disgusting... maybe one more taste, maybe it takes a moment to appreciate the jasmine.... I was dead wrong, after the third swallow of this garbage I decided that this 22oz bottle needed a new home, not in my belly but down the drain and into city sewer next to my cornbreaded turds from thanksgiving dinner last year.

3.88/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Love Jasmine and IPAs, so this beer caught my eye. The Jasmine flavor was surprisingly strong. The beer was definitely well-made and unique, but can't say I loved the flavor combination. On the sweeter side and not too hoppy for an IPA, but still quite refreshing.

2.94/5  rDev -21.8%

Clear amber colored ale with a medium off-white colored head.

Smells of sweet tea and caramel. Scent of toffee candy. Faint scent of jasmine, but you have to really hunt for it.

Starts out sweet with a strong flower flavor. Strong Jasmine flavor, this beer isn't fooling around you had better try Jasmine tea first to see if you might like this. Woody flavors and again the Jasmine hammer smacks your mouth again. This is pretty much all Jasmine. Lesser taste of toffee candy.

Mouthfeel is good.

Overall this is Jasmine flavored DAMMIT! And it hits you in the maw with another Jasmine uppercut. This was hard to finish.

3.64/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

From 22 ounce bottle to wine glass
Appearance: Orange in color, a bit hazy
Aroma: smell of hops, fragrant very floral
Taste: Bitter with sweet aftertaste
Mouth feel: A bit fizzy
Overall: Very good beer

2.42/5  rDev -35.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.25

Not my cup of tea here. Must be the Jasmine. So be careful when you take an adventure on this one. Lucky for me my wife did not mind the floral taste. If not for her this would have been a drain pour.

3.6/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pour: Bomber bottle into a tulip glass. Appearance: Pale straw in color and hazy. No head to speak of. Aroma: Flowery with Jasmine dominating. Backbone of hops, citrus and doughy malt are revealed after the initial flowery notes. Taste: Balanced with a mixture of Jasmine and hops. Aftertaste: Consistent with the Jasmine flowery elements throughout. Finishes with a light hoppy bite. Overall: Easy drinker but expected more definite and complex elements. Good. 3.6 out of 5.

4.09/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A very refreshing ipa for any occasion. Its very herbal and floral.The appearance is very hazy with particulate throughout the pint, the color is a light orange with off white thin head. Moderate lacing as I sip the pint down. The aroma is herbal with jasmine certainly apparent. Lemon rind also come through. The taste is initially herbal like, it reminds me of oregano or bay leaves. The following is malt balanced by a bitter jasmine that comes through nicely. It finishes rather dry and leaves a floral bitterness. Overall its solid and unique ipa to sip and enjoy.

4.1/5  rDev +9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

This was poured into a nonic pint glass.
The appearance was a soft hazy orange color with a one finger white foamy head that dissipated within less than a minute. Light lacing ran around the glass nice and adequate, stringy and light.
The smell definitely had the jasmine - sweet and floral, nicely done and smooth. Light honey enters in to balance.
The taste was mainly sweet with the floral tones smoothly blending with the sweet honey. A lingering floral setting really just invades the aftertaste and bleeds into the finish.
The mouthfeel had about a light to medium bodied sort of feel. Carbonation runs light.
Overall, different for an AIPA, really nice and smooth, don't expect the bitterness to be there as in other AIPA's but the aroma is what really makes this beer and really, if anything its a real nice relaxing beer.

4.41/5  rDev +17.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I want to hate this beer. Dried jasmine flowers added in the boil and hopback? But I love it. It is an incredible alternative to a citrus forward IPA on a warm summer day. It's almost annoyingly refreshing.

4.34/5  rDev +15.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured out of a 22 oz bottle. As I live near Elysian's basecamp in Seattle, I have local access to nearly all of Elysian's offerings at any given time. For some reason, after some 3 years of drinking Elysian often, I finally obtained the Avatar Jasmine IPA. I have no clue why I have never bought it, even as I went time after time after time for Night Owl, Dayglow, Space Dust, Bi-Frost, Dark O the Moon, Great Pumpkin, even Men's Red, etc. But I finally got this one.

Look: it's hard to judge this one, as their is a lot of sediment floating around, but the color is a nice amber.

Smell: I can faintly smell the sweet Jasmine.

Taste: A very sweet IPA. The jasmine is very prominent, and definitely not just a novelty. It is malty, but not too hoppy. I would hope for a little more hop taste. But the jasmine is definitely there, and quite welcome.

Feel: It's an easy drink, even as sweet as it is. The aftertaste is more hoppy than the smell and initial taste, which is nice.

Overall: 89/100

Nice bready floral ale, slightly herbal yet not medicinal. Nice balance with the jasmine and malts. Crisp and full. Something different to try while visiting NJ. Liked the flavor quite a bit.

3.25/5  rDev -13.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

A- Bomber poured to a pint glass with a very lightly hazy golden copper body. The creamy white head has fair retention falling to a large ring and island. Drizzly webs of lacing down the sides.

S- Pale fruits like apple as well as a large dose of floral jasmine. Reminds me of apple juice at times unfortunately with hints of pale caramel malts in the backdrop. Spicy herbs.

T- Between the pale fruits (assumingly) from the yeast and the caramel malts it tastes a bit candied at times and that seems to hold back the hops which are there with hints of citrus, herbs and grass. Jasmine adds a nice floral touch which can only be described as like jasmine.

MF- Creamy and somewhat puffy medium body. Carbonation falls on the high side and it all finishes with an herbal bitterness.

I wish the IPA side of things were a bit stronger as the hops seem to get lost between the malts and the jasmine. Fairly strong jasmine in the taste which is cool but besides that not much strength for me.

4.25/5  rDev +13%

Pours a a thin, bright, mostly clear dark amber color. I can't say I know what Jasmine smells like too well, but this IPA certainly has a lovely floral hop aroma to it. The taste evokes even more of the potpourri flavor with a mild sweetness and almost no bitter or citric hop flavors. Again, I wish I was more familiar with the flavor of jasmine so I could say how much the flavor really comes out, but as it were, I'm reminded of a walk in some grandmother's garden or perhaps a perfume store. Mild pear comes out at the end, but this delicate, dainty, light little (okay, big since it's a bomber) of a beer is quite a treat. Would probably go great with sushi or seafood.

Avatar Jasmine IPA from Elysian Brewing Company