Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Avatar Jasmine IPA | Elysian Brewing Company

Washington, United States
elysianbrewing.com

Style: American IPA

Availability: Summer

An IPA with a very floral aroma and flavor that is elegantly balanced, allowing subtle flavor of Jasmine to prevail while still delivering the IPA’s essential hoppiness. Pour golden copper with a lively head.

Added by Todd on 12-21-2004

1.24/5  rDev -66.8%

I found this on the shelf at the beer store and was intrigued, I had never had an IPA brewed with flowers so I must give it a try. Poured it into a glass, looked like beer, smelled ok. Took a sip and nearly gagged. I thought to my self, this can't be that bad, took another sip and swished it around. OMG this is disgusting... maybe one more taste, maybe it takes a moment to appreciate the jasmine.... I was dead wrong, after the third swallow of this garbage I decided that this 22oz bottle needed a new home, not in my belly but down the drain and into city sewer next to my cornbreaded turds from thanksgiving dinner last year.

1.25/5  rDev -66.5%

Choo Choo... Sweet express is arriving at the station. If you want your tongue coated in sugar and the glorious mediocrity we've come to expect from Elysian, take a swig of this abortion of an idea. Anything you flavor your rice shouldn't flavor your beer. This brewery consistently flies way under my expectation and exulted taste. Don't waste your money on this Seattlite sewer water. Buy something that won't engage your gag reflex so strongly.

1.5/5  rDev -59.8%

1.5/5  rDev -59.8%

2.15/5  rDev -42.4%

Served straight pint glass. Poured a typical golden amber with just under an inch of foamy white head that had no retention or lacing.

The scent of jasmine hides the hop scents from the nose at first, but on second sniff they seem well blended. The same is not true of the flavor. The jasmine is so overpowering that the only way you can tell there hops in this IPA is by the dry finish.

The body is typical for the style. The drinkability is very poor, I struggled to finish my pint. Overall, try this if you're a beerhunter who wants this for his list, everyone else should avoid.

2.24/5  rDev -39.9%

22oz bottle

Pours a clear orange/brown color with a medium sized white head. I initially loved the idea of a truly floral IPA, i couldnt wait to get this thing home and crack it. I was a bit disappointed in its execution. Very floral and perfumey nose, the musty flower aroma overpowers any and all detectable hop presence. Come to think of it, this beer smells like the expensive soaps people keep in their bathrooms. Its got a silky and rather round body with super low carbonation and a bitter, stale hop aftertaste. This beer is just far to perfumey, for my tastes, leafy and powdery at times, i truly cant understand the type of hop character that was attempting to be achieved here. As the beer warms up it develops a gnarly aftertaste of sweet malt and chlorophyll.

2.25/5  rDev -39.7%

2.26/5  rDev -39.4%

Poured from a 750ml bottle into a pint.

Pours a glowing orange with a thick, foamy white head. Looks good, but unfortunately that's about the only kind thing I have to say about this brew. Nose and taste are overwhelmingly jasmine. That's about all I can say, not because I'm lazy or have a crappy palate but because it's so cloying I couldn't get past it. I honestly can't smell or taste anything else. Sounded like it might be a pleasant compliment but the jasmine kind of imparted something that reminded me of peas, or asparagus. I like Elysian but this is a total mess.

2.42/5  rDev -35.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.25

Not my cup of tea here. Must be the Jasmine. So be careful when you take an adventure on this one. Lucky for me my wife did not mind the floral taste. If not for her this would have been a drain pour.

2.59/5  rDev -30.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

2.62/5  rDev -29.8%

Appearance: Best part of the beer. Nice amber pour. Tiny bubbles linger.

Smell: Might be an old bottle but I get a musty, pale ale aroma. Biscuity and wet. There is a hoppiness about it, but not in an IPA sense. Apparently, there's supposed to be jasmine in here?

Taste: Much like the smell...Pale ale-ish. Little to no jasmine is detectable. Possibly in a slight bitterness after the hops hit. The hops are bitter, but muted in flavour. Oddly, I'm also tasting a bit of alcohol.

Mouthfeel: Not bad. Standard for an IPA. Slight prickliness but smooth overall.

Drinkability: Well it's easy enough to drink, but would you want to? When I'm looking for an "American IPA" I look for a dynamic, adventurous beer. This is pedestrian.

Overall: I'd say this is just a touch too subtle in the hops/jasmine department to actually be called a "Jasmine IPA". More of a Jasmine APA, perhaps? I have a feeling this bottle is past its prime as the "drink before" date is only a month away. Probably already pushing 5 months old. However, if the brewery thinks it should fall acceptably within the IPA category at this point, I'd disagree. I'd love to try it fresh...

2.64/5  rDev -29.2%

on tap, into a shaker pint

A - looks good - a golden copper, slight haze; nice finger of off white head - fades quickly little lacing;

S - hints of floral/jasmine, and a little sweet malt; the nose is dominated by a husky graininess that is thoroughly unappealing; don't know what to make of it;

T - just like the nose - dominated by astringent grain husk; was the mill set too fine and they just didn't notice?

M - starts off fine, but then gains in astringency

O - this should be a good beer, but something isn't right; I don't like to write reviews of beers that I can't be positive about, but I feel that if I have this beer again in a few months it will be very different beer...we'll see

Avatar Jasmine IPA from Elysian Brewing Company