Avatar Jasmine IPA | Elysian Brewing Company

Availability: Summer

Added by Todd on 12-21-2004

Reviews: 258 | Ratings: 638
4.06/5  rDev +8.8%

Served from a bomber into a tulip glass after sitting at room temperature for about 15 minutes post-refrigeration. Poured rather hazy in the glass with minimal head after a vigorous dispense. The aromas of this beer are excellent. Spice (Jasmine obviously), herbal hops, and biscuity grain. Flavors include lemon, herbs, and light toast to begin, followed by a light caramel sweetness, lavendar and citrusy bitterness to finish. Feel of this ale is full and a bit coating in the mouth with a low and smooth carbonation. The average abv and low level of carbonation made this a nicely drinkable beer. This was a unique and enjoyable late summer beer.

3.92/5  rDev +5.1%

A - Slightly cloudy orange/gold color. Moderate head with moderate lacing.

S - Unusual! Flowery and slightly hoppy, and very light (my bottle says 6.3% ABV, not 5.6%). Very subtle!

T/M/D - Like the smell, the taste is light and flowery, with both the hoppy taste appearing mellow and the flowery taste noticeable but subtle. Even though the jasmine flavor is subtle - it is so unusual that it is apparent. This is a very interesting beer - it almost tastes like tea! This is the second Elysian beer I've tried recently (the other being the Immortal IPA) and I remain impressed with their work!

3.79/5  rDev +1.6%

Thanks to julian for this one.

Poured a 22oz bomber into my Chimay chalice (2 pours). This beer pours a murky, orange amber with a sticky, white head. This beer has really pretty lacing. Almost looks French. The aroma is oddly sweet. The floral nature of the jasmine really comes out in the nose. I really don't know if the sweetness comes from the jasmine or the malt. Not much hops in the aroma. Wow, the jasmine really works well in this beer. Its big yet sublet. The crazy thing is hops really don't come through at all. They really play second fiddle to the jasmine. The mouthfeel is full bodied with a light carbonation. This is a really easy drinking, different IPA. Honestly, if I didn't know that it was an IPA, I probably would never have guessed because the hops are really subdued.

As a note, I had this beer on tap at the Spuyten Duyvil and I found it much better.

3.54/5  rDev -5.1%

pours a semi-cloudy with a medium sized egg-shell head, good lacing.

smell of caramel, citrus, wild flowers.

taste is same as smell with a touch of malt in the back, slight bitterness.

overall the smell is better than the taste. i was expecting more from this.

3.88/5  rDev +4%

Bomber 22 ounce bottle, w/o freshness info offered. Pours golden and clear, eggshell head, moderately retentive in nature, and t leaves respectable and fine lace. Fruity nose, leads to a pleasant, resiny quaffer, quite dry in nature. Second one I have tried from Elysian, and I'm impressed. Tasty, smooth and drinkable. well worth a try for lovers of nicely crafted hoppy and dry ale.

4.03/5  rDev +8%

Pours a slightly fogged golden amber with a thick crème head. Nose is light and floral. A bit citric. Flavor is definitely influenced by the jasmine, but there is also a slight salty edge to it all. Overall it is a well balanced mix. I start to get an almost inky aftertaste though. Seems a bit light and airy, but complex enough to keep it interesting. Feel has a good carbonation to it, though a bit low, and the liquid body is decent as well.

4.32/5  rDev +15.8%

Picked a bottle of this up for a camping trip. Cracked it open just as the sun was going down and the fire was crackling to life.

Great bright orange color, with some little bits floating about, which I will assume are yeast...or maybe flower pieces?

Light and to no-surprise, a floral aroma. Carbonation helps airate this beer and makes the aroma really jump out, especially as it warms. I would have really liked to just smell this one all night.

Great taste. I had this after a fairly aggressive IPA, and it's sweetness really shone. I doubt it will be as sweet had I drank...i dunno, koolaid, heh. THis brew was unique enough, and tasty enough, to earn itself an A. It was really a great brew, and up til now I had considered Elysian as a second or third tier brewery. This sucker needs to be put into sixers, or at least become more widly available.

It's smooth, its unique, and it's well made. Good job Elysian.

3.68/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

RoryGilmore hooked me up with this one, thanks man!

22 oz. bomber poured into a nonic.

Pours a foggy light copper hue with a big fluffy three finger off-white head that slowly falls to a layer of bubbles. Thick lacing left on the sides of the glass, nice looking brew. Smell is one of a kind. Fresh floral aroma directly from the bud with sweet tea and a touch of citrus hops. There really isn't much more in the nose because the flower scent is so powerful, but not to the point of annoying. Taste is much like the aroma, but quite a bit weaker. The sweet jasmine begins on the tongue but quickly fades to a dirty/gritty hop flavor that doesn't seem to fit the beer. Dusty caramel malts and grains midway leading to a dry aftertaste with a touch of honey. Light to medium body that's a bit rough around the edges with a mild carbonation. A unique twist on the style, but I'm not sure it's an IPA. The most floral beer I've experienced for sure, glad I had the opportunity to try this one.

3.74/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

hmmm...this one "grows" on you...

nice subtle jasmine aroma in the beer, but overall, what is this beer going for?

seems the flavors do not fuse that well...you'd want the jasmine to work seamlessly into the brew, but instead, it has more of a green tea aftertaste...

I've done jasmine beers before...they always seem to have the analysis of "well, this was what I was going for, but...."

3.89/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 4.5

On tap @ the blind tiger in NYC

Appearance- nothing overly impressive, golden color, little cloudy/hazy, nice head retention.
Smell- The jasmine is def. present in the nose of this one, along with fruity, citrus, hop notes.
Taste/mouthfeel- Starts out with a nice hop presence but then fades quickly
Drinkability- very easy drinking beer, having it with some food helps the overall taste of the beer too.

overall- a decent brew, not best IPA ive had, def. on the weaker side, mainly tried it because of the availability of it.

3.26/5  rDev -12.6%

I was bored. The jasmine was there, but it would have seemed to be something wrong if I didn't know that was the intent. It was like the IPA was holding back, deliberately modest. That's not what I look for in American IPA's. I had it with Indian food. I would never mix tea with IPA except in a crossword. I've learned my lesson.

3.48/5  rDev -6.7%

This is only a my second Elysian beer I've tried, the other being their Pumpkin ale. Props for very interesting seasonal brews!

Appearance is fairly typical IPA, clear golden-orange in color with a moderate white cap that left behind good lacing. Lazy little carbonation bubbles rise to the top throughout.

I can immediately tell the Jasmine has been added to this beer from the nose. It adds a tea-like floral essence that mingles with subdued floral, bitter citric hops.

At first, the Jasmine bitter-floral taste were very strong, replaced by toasty, bready malts mid-palate, then followed by pretty strong bittering hops and a little more of the tea-like Jasmine flavor. As the beer warmed, I had a harder time picking out the Jasmine addition to the flavor. Was that because it was growing on me? Or its flavors more potent when cold? I'm not sure.

Mouthfeel is adequate. Medium body, good carbonation to keep things lively, well balanced for the flavors of the beer.

Don't be afraid of the different take on the style of this beer, but if you like your NW IPA, don't expect this to replace your favorites. It was drinkable for me, and worth the try, but I'm more partial to undisturbed hop characteristics than the added element in this brew. Still, it almost took some work for me to drink this, as opposed to it disappearing on me before I'm ready for it to be gone.

4.06/5  rDev +8.8%

1st of the new batch.

Big floral nose. both from hops and I suspect the Jasmine that it's brewed with. Definitely not a perfume like floral but more of a fresh smell. Some malt behind it and nice ale fermentation esters of fruit. A little light on the aroma hops for an IPA.

Nice golden color and very clear. Very good half inch withe head that lasts almost the entire pint and leaves good lacing.

Flavor starts of pretty malty for the style. I get hints of honey and tons of fruity ale esters again. Bitterness comes through pretty pronounced on the back end. Bitterness level is appropriate for the style but by no means your typical NW hop bomb. Mid palate I get some hop flavor and interesting herbal characters that I wouldn't put as Jasmine if I didn't know. Seems like the addition of Jasmine is done with a light enough hand that you know it's there but it doens't make the beer taste like a cup of tea.

Nice medium body with excellent carbonation level. Very lively in the mouth.

Very nice drinkable beer. Hoppy enough to feel like an IPA but with enough malt and herbal character to give it a lot more depth than your usual IPA. Hopheads, this one probably isn't for you, it's much more subtle than you'd expect.

3.9/5  rDev +4.6%

Appearance: Pours a hazy, orangeish body with a small, white head.

Smell: Pale malts with a touch of toffee coupled with a full floral scent of jasmine.

Taste: Palt malts with a medium toffee-like sweetness. Floral jasmine flavor emerges and ushers in a medium bitterness to balance. Splash of light herbal tea. Hint of flower stems. Finishes dry.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. Medium carbonation.

Drinkability: You know, that's not half bad. The jasmine puts an exciting, new twist on what would just be another IPA.

wow what a beer, talk about a different taste, they add the floral jasmine taste with the hops at the end of the boil, it was really a shocking taste, good good good.

I enjoyed this one big time, the floral taste was much better than the fruity flavored beers I have had in the past.

3.48/5  rDev -6.7%

poured a hazy orange with an overwhelming head which was consistant with each pour that took awhile to recede, reminds me of when I was stationed in germany where I learned to pour the bier very carefully do to this. Smell and taste of citrus that is sweet with a light dose of jasmine, the taste kind of reminds me of a hefe. Mouthfeel is on the lighter side of medium, overall not to bad, I could do without all the carbonation though.

3.33/5  rDev -10.7%

22oz bomber purchased at Huckleberry's in Spokane for $1.99. I didn't know it was a summer seasonal, but I had an inkling, noting it was being sold at a $2.50 discount.

This poured a slightly hazy honey color, with a thin white head that lasted for a couple of minutes, then subsided, leaving spotty lace.

The nose is...odd. Floral, but not like any floral hoppy aroma I've ever encountered. There's also a weird sweetness that's a little off-putting. Definitely not like any IPA I've ever had.

The taste is similar to the nose, but a bit more complex. A strange floral sweetness is the most noticeable component. It tastes like how I would expect a flower to taste, if that makes any sense. The closest it comes to an actual IPA taste is at the swallow and in the aftertaste, and it's not a terribly dominant hop bite.

Medium bodied, with a slightly oily mouthfeel.

An odd beer. Interesting, but even allowing for it's age, it's not something I think I want to try again. Perhaps if I visit the brewpub and it's on-tap and fresh, I might try it again, but otherwise I don't think I'll feel the need.

3.58/5  rDev -4%

Pours a bright orange color, creamy white head, settles to leave some heavy foam and lacing. Nose is very floral, no doubt due to the jasmine. very little citrus or pine aroma. Taste is heavy malt, along with just a bit of hop flavor. Mouthfeel is is a bit bready, smooth on the finish, along with some floral aftertaste. Drinkability is quite good, due especially to the low abv. Flavor is a bit light, but not bad. Would be nice to try on tap if i make it up to the brewery someday

3.52/5  rDev -5.6%

On draught at their Elyasian Fields pub in Seattle. From the menu:

"Pale, 45 degree Crystal, Munich and Cara-Hells malts. Bittered with German Northern Brewer and finished with Glacier and Amarillo hops. Dried jasmine flowers added to the boil and hopback. sg 14.9 dp(1.061), abv 6.2%"

Appearance was clear orange with a thin white head leaves moderate lace.

Aroma was strong, with sweet malt and pleasant jasmine and floral hops resulting in a very fragrant bouquet, which is this brew's highlight.

Taste was totally dominated by the jasmine. Starts out very floral, but quickly fades to the thick, semi-sweet malt base, before a slightly bitter and dry, acrid finish.

Mouthfeel was a bit thick, but had a decent creaminess.

Drinkability was pretty interesting but not something I want to drink to much of. Left a potpourri taste in the mouth by the end of the pint, and did not seem to meld as well as say, jasmine green tea (although I prefer plain green tea, or ideally with cherry and rose blossoms).

3.1/5  rDev -16.9%

Appearance: Pours a hazy honey color with a decent head that retains and laces reasonably well

Smell: Jasmine tea aroma wafts above with an underlying caramel malt beneath

Taste: Starts with a biscuity flavor that is joined, mid-palate, by the jasmine elements; after the swallow, the mentholated jasmine battles with the grainy hops and produces an unappealing combination

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with moderate carbonation

Drinkability: A nice experiment, but the menthol element renders it unpalatable to me

Thanks, TheBungyo, for the experience; I was curious to try it and now I have done so

4.1/5  rDev +9.9%

Thanks to skyhand for sending this out east.

A healthy glugging pour out of the bottle produces a hazy dark orange amber color with a one and a half finger white head. Dissipates rather quickly leaving bubbly foam and a rim around the edge of the glass. Big jasmine flower presence right from the beginning--almost as if you were walking through a Japanese rock garden. Biscuit malt reveals itself with a swirl of the glass.

Perfume like flavors with a touch of honeysuckle. Herbal flavors remind me of a boutique iced tea. Touch of bitterness in the finish with a slight citrus mostly lemon juice aftertaste. Biscuit malts keep the jasmine flavors and slight bitterness connected. Easy on the palate gliding smoothly across the tongue. A very interesting brew from Elysian. Easy drinking.

3.05/5  rDev -18.2%

First, thanks to [the friend who doesn't want her name posted in the internet] for bringing this beer back from her Seattle vacation for me. This may the first beer from the Pacific Northwest I've had a chance to sample, and I'm certainly grateful for the opportunity.

The bottle states that a bit of jasmine has been added to this otherwise traditional IPA. This is certainly intriguing, as lots of brewers are attempting to distinguish their IPAs from others. (Quite frankly, I'm not sure if I can even discern the taste of jasmine, so I may not be the best person to report on the finer points of this beer's flavor.)

It pours a hazy dark yellow into my Brooklyn pint glass. A thin near-white head appears, but not for long; it soon dissipates into a thin foam that nearly covers the entire surface. The aroma is heavy with citrus and floral scents. I don't detect any jasmine-y elements here, unless that's the floral aspect I'm describing. Anticipating the different flavors I may experience, I take a nice big swig. The front is dominated by sweet citrus and floral flavors, while the finish is almost entirely hops. In fact, this may the longest-lasting hop bitterness finish I've ever experienced in a beer; it really seems to go on and on! I believe the jasmine can be tasted up front, and it's more of the "essence" of jasmine. I was impressed by the creamy mouthfeel of this beer, especially for an IPA. The finish seemed almost biscuit-like.

All in all, it's certainly a nice IPA although I don't think it really stands out in the ever-growing field. I found it to be an enjoyable beer that I could certainly have again, but I may not choose it over some of my favorites.

4.38/5  rDev +17.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Received this boy from Liquid Solutions. Pours a cloudy orange topped with a nice white head. Spicy (jasmine?) tangeriney hop nose, not too over-the-top for an IPA. But the hops sure do smack you on the back-end. Not much body to this one, but very easy drinking. Such a nice break from your typical big IPA.

4.05/5  rDev +8.6%

Presentation - Decanted from a 22oz brown bottle w/o freshness date into a snifter.

A - A honey peach color w/ light haze. A minimal head of lighter pale color that withdrew leaving lace as evidence.

S - Fragrant floral tea like scents push a slight caramel scent into the background. A tropical and citrus floral aroma is clearly the focus.

M - Lightly oily, sweet and medium bodied the IPA has a slick and lightly bitter quality.

T - An intriguing floral taste right off - the flavor of an edible tropical flower. Sweet and a bit perfumey with an herbal tea taste that lingers with nice citrus hop highlights. These flavors add to a caramel malt sweetness which holds on tight with the resinous jasmine essence until the finish.

D - An almost session beer with it's smooth ale flavors and then the flowers are like icing on a pretty tasty cake so to speak. A real original take on a road well traveled. The only sticking point is that it is a light IPA, light on malt and hops, but I don't think it hurts it since this allows the Jasmine to remain in focus.

3.47/5  rDev -7%

Standard pint & six Elysian bottle, poured into a french pint glass. Colour is reasonably deep straw, with a blur that's more haze than particles. Good a dark for an IPA but otherwise uninteresting. Nice controlled inch of loose head, standardly impressive lace for an IPA.

Smell is quite interesting. Event for someone who loves jasmine tea, it takes a few moments to find the scent buried in the crazy mix of herbs, hops, and very toasty malts. The combination of smells actually blends a little too well; even knowing the ingredients the smell is just a blast of sweet, floral, fruit.

Taste is a good deal different. Sweetness is replace by dry floral rushes. Jasmine becomes more distinct. The tiniest bit of yeast and bread comes forth, impressive for as low an AbV this brew has. As you might expect, most of the other flavours are lost behind the jasmine. If anything - lime, anise, and very fresh hop.

Mouthfeel is fairly uninteresting. Not poorly carbonated, but not light on the palate at all. The jasmine just suggests astringency, and it leaves your mouth almost a little dry. Not a quenching brew.

An incredibly neat experiment that turns out, well, just as you might expect. Sadly, not that great a repeat performer. I think the jasmine and the hops (it IS an IPA after all) just fight the whole time, leaving you on the fence as to what it really conveys. Jasmine is too gentle and deep to appriciate with the bitterness, and hops lose their brighter characteristics with the floral softness of the jasmine.

Would be brilliant for a tasting party or a "weird beer night", but can't say I'd keep the whole bottle to myself again. Maybe with luck Elysian will do a less hoppy more balanced version of this some day - I'd try it.

Avatar Jasmine IPA from Elysian Brewing Company