Avatar Jasmine IPA | Elysian Brewing Company

Washington, United States
elysianbrewing.com

Style: American IPA

Availability: Summer

An IPA with a very floral aroma and flavor that is elegantly balanced, allowing subtle flavor of Jasmine to prevail while still delivering the IPA’s essential hoppiness. Pour golden copper with a lively head.

Added by Todd on 12-21-2004

3.25/5  rDev -12.9%

3.25/5  rDev -12.9%

4.41/5  rDev +18.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

I really dig this IPA. It feels like a hipster IPA(perfect since it's from Seattle) because it breaks the norm of a standard IPA. The jasmine really hops bring down the bitterness, but still have a good hop taste to make it feel like an IPA. This has turned into my go to IPA.

3.63/5  rDev -2.7%

If you have ever wondered what drinking the Jasmine flower might be like, try this beer. I was pleasantly surprised at how much I liked it. It was a nice change of pace for an IPA because it gave a new type of floral flavors and aromas that you just wont get from hops alone.

1.5/5  rDev -59.8%

4.5/5  rDev +20.6%

3.28/5  rDev -12.1%

Poured from a bomber into a shaker pint glass.

A: Slightly hazy, brassy golden color with less than one finger of white foam head. Moderate lacing remains and a few clusters of bubbles cling to the submerged wall of the glass.

S: Artificial mixed fruit reminds of hard candy or children's cereal. Malt is fairly refined, slightly bready. No hops influence is detectable.

T: Begins off-dry, with understated pale malt and distinct floral jasmine. Jasmine persists into the middle where malt takes on an undercooked or cornstarch quality. The finish is weakly bitter but surprisingly spicy, reminiscent of a rye beer.

M: Thin viscosity, wet and lively on the palate, with moderate carbonation.

D/O: This experimental IPA offers an alternative to the dry-hopped modern formula, with a flavor profile that delivers some of the features of dry-hopping without confronting the palate with an IPA-sized level of bitterness. The smell is a very mixed bag of qualities that comes across as dishonest and off-putting.

4.75/5  rDev +27.3%

3.89/5  rDev +4.3%

A: Pours a lightly hazy golden orange in color with light amounts of visible carbonation and some copper + orange highlights. The beer has a finger tall sudsy foamy off-white head that reduces to a large patch of very thin film and a thin ring at the edges of the glass. Light to moderate amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Moderate aromas of floral jasmine with just a hint of toasted and caramel malts underneath it.

T: Upfront there is a light flavor of lightly toasted malts with some light caramel sweetness. That is followed by a moderate to strong flavor of floral jasmine. Light to moderate amounts of bitterness that lingers in the finish for a moderate amount of time.

M: Medium bodied with moderate amounts of carbonation. Light hints of dryness in the finish.

O: The addition of jasmine to an IPA is an interesting add and a successful one in my opinion. I think it makes a rather pedestrian seeming IPA an interesting drink. The aromas of jasmine remind me of being out in the garden.

3.08/5  rDev -17.4%

4.75/5  rDev +27.3%

4.3/5  rDev +15.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Enjoyed out of a brown 22 oz bottle and poured into a 50 cL stein glass. No discernible bottling or "best buy" date. I love LetsPour for beers like this, because Elysian doesn't distribute to my area.

Appearance - I can see particulate swirling around down in the bottom of the bomber. Pouring moderate, to generate head but not disturb too much sediment, generates a one-finger of creamy, microbubble peach-white colored head. Retention is moderate and the lacing is silky and clean. Body is deep and ruddy orange, like a jar of marmalade. Some haziness and lazy carbonation drifting up from the bottom of the glass.

Smell - I was curious whether the jasmine would be present or barely detectible, since the flower puts off a delicate fragrance. To my enjoyment, the jasmine is plenty detectible--sweet with elements of grass and sunny meadow. Hops blend into the floral roundness.

Taste - Again, the jasmine element is plenty aggressive, and the complex blend of hops is harder to find. Some doughy sweet, like King's Hawaiian bread, with nectar and white-flesh fruits. Reveals light caramelized bitterness before finishing fairly dry.

Mouthfeel - Creamy and smooth with carbonation on the low side of moderate. Appropriate for the delicate, but complex flavors.

Overall a wonderfully unique take on IPA. Milder than many, especially if you're looking for the type of IPA to smack you in the mouth with hops, but a deliciously drinkable beer. Executes perfectly on the premise. It's not a go-to, everyday IPA to me, but I'd welcome a bottle of this every so often to change it up. Fantastic.

3.5/5  rDev -6.2%

3.53/5  rDev -5.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Time for the Avatar Jasmine IPA. This is our final beer from Elysian, and while I’m sad they are over, I’m excited to drink this. I mean, it IS an IPA. Oh, and I really liked the movie Avatar. Not sure they are related, but still something I can relate.

So we are sitting at the bar, and two people beside us start talking about beer and their travels. Her name was Kristen, and her boyfriend Mark started chatting. Fun! They are so nice, and I hope they are going to check out the blog. I did tell them I would mention them. They are pretty much celebrities now!

The final beer is a jasmine IPA that uses actual jasmine flowers. Jasmine is apparently grown here in the Pacific Northwest. I saw some at the Pike Place Market, but outside of soap… And beer, not sure what I would use it for. Speaking of beer, let’s drink!

Before we start drinking, I will mention the manager grabbed us a sample of this on tap before we opened the bottle. We reviewed the ESB on tap, the Dragonstooth in a bottle, and now the jasmine both on tap and in the bottle. Lets drink!

In the Glass: The beer poured like a good IPA should. I will mention, when I posted about being here on Facebook, Stephanie Hardwell commented about THIS beer. She said she loved it, so I am excited to try it. Oh, and while we were prepping this blog post, we learned of the “12 Beers of the Apocalypse” series they did. They still had a few beers from the series left, and Sheryl ended up buying a few bottles. We will report on those when we drink them. I hope she lets me have a sip.

Aroma: I’m not smelling much jasmine here. Not many hops, either. I can picture this as being an entry level IPA. I know hops are a BIG part of brewing in California, but I’m not sure they are that popular up here in the PNW. I also say that not knowing what jasmine tastes like… Or smells like! Here we go.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel on this is pretty basic. Not much up front, and it slides down with a hint of bubbles.

Flavor: There is a load of fruity flavors at first, and while the finish is a bit dry, the flavor, which I assume is jasmine, is a nice unexpected twist on an IPA. It’s not a double IPA but still a well balanced and low hopped flavor. I am curious to learn the IBU on this offering.

Aftertaste: The aftertaste is nice, again offering a subtle drying affect that I didn’t expect. I also just learned that jasmine and lavender are different! I mean, I knew they were different, but confused the two. My apologizes. Not up on my flower talk! The burp on this is nice too, bringing back the same flavors I had on my first trip. Let me try the one on tap.

On tap, the beer is more balanced and has an almost lager mouthfeel. The one on tap is also a bit warmer, but still a tasty treat.

Avatar Jasmine IPA from Elysian Brewing Company