Avatar Jasmine IPA | Elysian Brewing Company

Washington, United States
elysianbrewing.com

Style: American IPA

Availability: Summer

An IPA with a very floral aroma and flavor that is elegantly balanced, allowing subtle flavor of Jasmine to prevail while still delivering the IPA’s essential hoppiness. Pour golden copper with a lively head.

Added by Todd on 12-21-2004

3.5/5  rDev -5.9%

3.53/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Time for the Avatar Jasmine IPA. This is our final beer from Elysian, and while I’m sad they are over, I’m excited to drink this. I mean, it IS an IPA. Oh, and I really liked the movie Avatar. Not sure they are related, but still something I can relate.

So we are sitting at the bar, and two people beside us start talking about beer and their travels. Her name was Kristen, and her boyfriend Mark started chatting. Fun! They are so nice, and I hope they are going to check out the blog. I did tell them I would mention them. They are pretty much celebrities now!

The final beer is a jasmine IPA that uses actual jasmine flowers. Jasmine is apparently grown here in the Pacific Northwest. I saw some at the Pike Place Market, but outside of soap… And beer, not sure what I would use it for. Speaking of beer, let’s drink!

Before we start drinking, I will mention the manager grabbed us a sample of this on tap before we opened the bottle. We reviewed the ESB on tap, the Dragonstooth in a bottle, and now the jasmine both on tap and in the bottle. Lets drink!

In the Glass: The beer poured like a good IPA should. I will mention, when I posted about being here on Facebook, Stephanie Hardwell commented about THIS beer. She said she loved it, so I am excited to try it. Oh, and while we were prepping this blog post, we learned of the “12 Beers of the Apocalypse” series they did. They still had a few beers from the series left, and Sheryl ended up buying a few bottles. We will report on those when we drink them. I hope she lets me have a sip.

Aroma: I’m not smelling much jasmine here. Not many hops, either. I can picture this as being an entry level IPA. I know hops are a BIG part of brewing in California, but I’m not sure they are that popular up here in the PNW. I also say that not knowing what jasmine tastes like… Or smells like! Here we go.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel on this is pretty basic. Not much up front, and it slides down with a hint of bubbles.

Flavor: There is a load of fruity flavors at first, and while the finish is a bit dry, the flavor, which I assume is jasmine, is a nice unexpected twist on an IPA. It’s not a double IPA but still a well balanced and low hopped flavor. I am curious to learn the IBU on this offering.

Aftertaste: The aftertaste is nice, again offering a subtle drying affect that I didn’t expect. I also just learned that jasmine and lavender are different! I mean, I knew they were different, but confused the two. My apologizes. Not up on my flower talk! The burp on this is nice too, bringing back the same flavors I had on my first trip. Let me try the one on tap.

On tap, the beer is more balanced and has an almost lager mouthfeel. The one on tap is also a bit warmer, but still a tasty treat.

3.43/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a brown 22 oz. bottle. Has a dark golden color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is floral, some breadiness, not much in the way of hops. Taste is somewhat floral, jasmine is present, more malts than hops, a very light bitterness. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall not a bad beer, but lacking some of the punch expected in an IPA.

4.5/5  rDev +21%

3.25/5  rDev -12.6%

3.75/5  rDev +0.8%

Enjoyed this bomber bottle out of a Belgian snifter glass.

A: Pours a clear golden straw with a 2-finger white head that slowly dissipates leaving a nice trail and ending in a sold lace.

S: Jasmine and hoppy aroma with a fruity background.

T: Smooth and sweet jasmine fruity flavor with a sharp bitter middle and finishes on the bitter side of dry.

M: Medium body and medium carbonation.

O: Great twist on an IPA – would grab this again.

4.3/5  rDev +15.6%

Instantly upon opening the bottle i thought "this smells great!"

Semi hazed dull orange color with bright white sticky head that dies rather quickly. Lots of jasmine on the nose with ripe orangey and citric hops.

Very very tea like. Herbal and almost like a dry hopped green tea. Medium bodied pleasently dry finish. Jasmine adds a nice sweetness up front and an herbal teal like essence o nthe back end. Hop provide an orange like flavor and bitterness that merely balances rather than overpowers. Dry sweet and tasty. This is one damn good IPA. Unique in it's infusion of jasmine rather than fruit or honey or anything like that. This is an awesome beer.

This beer is definitely awesome food, can't deny that.

3.5/5  rDev -5.9%