The Great Pumpkin | Elysian Brewing Company

4.13/5
Alströms:

3.75/5  rDev -9.2%

3.9/5  rDev -5.6%

Poured from 22oz bomber into a pint glass.

Appearance: medium orange hue with a moderate haze, a moderate effervescence and quite a few floaties. Head is a thick finger of frothy ivory foam which leave a nice lace as it dissipates. Attractive.

Smell: sweet malt, pumpkin, nutmeg, cinnamon and ... do I detect cardamom? It's a good mélange of beer, gourd and spice. Classic.

Taste: sweet malt with a big pumpkin flavor and a good dose of the spices from the aroma. It's a bit massive in flavor and a bit overwhelming, but a good example of the style.

Mouthfeel: medium body with a good level of carbonation and a nice, rich, smooth creaminess. I like it.

Overall: this is a good beer, but as I said it's a little bit overwhelming for me. I like my pumpkin beers a little bit more on the subtle side. Decent, but hardly a session drink.

3.5/5  rDev -15.3%

Photo of
3.25/5  rDev -21.3%

You had this beer. Write a review.

4.5/5  rDev +9%

Scored a bottle at my NY connect. About to hit Stowe with the pops for the weekend. Burlington got about 36 inches in the last 72 so needless to say I'm pumped.

A - Dark amber brown. Small head. Almost looks like a less thick ST pumking.

S - Smells like a less rich pumking! Brown sugar, nutmeg, cinnamon, vanilla, and molasses.

T - Vanilla, nutmeg, cinnamon, brown sugar and a slight ABV burn that reminds me of the pumking. The pumking has a heavier base and the spices are more intense. The spices are more subtle and the base is more of a pale ale.

M - This gets so much better as it warms. A more subtle pumking.

Great beer. I love pumpkins. This bad boy is up there with the champions.

3.77/5  rDev -8.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

650ml bottle 8,0% Abv.
Served lightly chilled in an over sized wine glass.
2012 Vintage

Thanks to JAXSON for this bottle.

Appearance: The Great Pumpkin appears a beautiful bright golden-orange in the glass and is topped by a good sized off-white head. The head displays reasonable retention and leaves a few small patches of lacing as it recedes.

Smell: Mmmmm, this smells like it is going to be a delicious pumpkin ale. The initial nose is bursting with pumpkin (roasted pumpkin flesh and the raw stringy bits inside a pumpkin) and pumpkin pie spices (nutmeg, cinnamon, allspice, ginger and a little vanilla). As the beer warms, there is a hint of pie crust aroma noted, along with some brown sugar and a sweet fruitiness, but the pumpkin and spices still dominate the nose.

Taste: Sadly the flavour is no where near as full as the nose promised. The pumpkin and pumpkin pie spices are still present, but there is also a big grainy quality and a fruity character that make the flavour seem a little bland. I think they could have done with double the amount of pumpkin and spices. As the beer approaches room temperature, it becomes quite boozey for an 8% ale.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, with a light stickiness and a high level (way too high for my tastes) of carbonation.

Overall: The Great Pumpkin is a good pumpkin ale, but it cannot stand up to the likes of Pumpking. That said, I have heard that previous vintages of The Great Pumpkin have been better than the 2012, so I might have to revisit it again in the future.

3.58/5  rDev -13.3%

22oz bottle poured into a tasting glass. Amber in color with a thin head around the edges of the glass.

The aroma has notes of Squash, raw pumpkin and spice. It's got a sweet, almost sugary presence to it along with some slight bready pie crust like flavors.

Pumpkin and squash flavors are very apparent in the taste. Light on the spice, which I like. Tastes a little like raw pumpkin. Pale malts show through in the finish.

Mouthfeel is on lighter side of style with moderate carbonation. Overall a pretty good beer and unique in the style. I liked the low spice and that the real pumpkin and squash flavors seemed to come out more in it.

4.49/5  rDev +8.7%

Scored a discounted bottle of this at the Beermuda Triangle. Best 6 bucks I ever spent!

A - Well given it's over 4 months old I expected some sediment. Head is also minimal with just a finger of sticky white head. Beer itself is a dark amber brown.

S - Man the first whiff blew me away! Brown sugar, nutmeg, cinnamon, vanilla, and molasses hit me hard, in a good way. As it settles in the glass it smells like a sweet cookie with brown sugar goodness.

T - Not bad it doesn't live up the expectation of the smell but no beer really does. I am getting some sweet vanilla/sugar cookie thing wrapped around your typical nutmeg/cinnamon (tasty and powerfully spiced way I like it) And it hits the end with some brown sugar and a slight ABV burn that reminds me of rum. Tasty stuff.

M - As I type I am almost half way through my glass. A sure fire winter warmer though that drinks creamy with a medium to heavy body but hides the ABV very well.

Overall this is a great Imperial Pumpkin ale that trumps out even the legendary Pumking. Heck I think it's even better than "smashed pumpkin" which some craft lovers raved about. I may have to grab another before they are gone.

3.48/5  rDev -15.7%

Thanks to gueuzehead for the extra!

Pours murky orange color with a small white head that fades instantly. A ring of lacing.

Smells like most pumpkin beers. I get heavier nutmeg than other spices, but also contains cinnamon and brown sugar.

Similar flavors. Some good malty caramel malts and pumpkin flavors, but the spices are ratcheted up a bit past my preference. Pronounced nutmeg and cinnamon. Alcohol shows a bit here, but the extra body outweighs the booze coming through.

Carbonation levels are a tad low and finishes somewhat astringent. Decent body, but the carb level and finish hurt mouthfeel.

All in all a pretty solid pumpkin beer and much better than some atrocities I've had.

The Great Pumpkin from Elysian Brewing Company