Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Dark O' The Moon | Elysian Brewing Company

Washington, United States
elysianbrewing.com

Style: Pumpkin Ale

Availability: Fall

Stout brewed with pumpkin, and pumpkin seeds with cinnamon added. Spookily smooth and chocolatey with a hint of cinnamon - brewed annually for Elysian's Great Pumpkin Beer Festival.

Added by jletts on 11-06-2007

4.05/5  rDev +2.8%

Served in a snifter glass.

Appearance: Dark black color with heavy brown features, head is your typical tan color maybe 1/4" off the body. Settles super quick with slight uneven lacing.

Smell: Heavy cinnamon and nutmeg with a slight dose of coffee aroma.

Taste: Sweet pumpkin with hard nutmeg and cinnamon. Has a light coffee taste but the spices slightly overpower it. Still very good.

Mouth: Medium carbonation, ultra sticky...the after taste reminds you a malty espresso. Thin bodied.

Overall: Very good beer but not Elysian's best when it comes to the pumpkin beers they have done better. Still not a disappointment and still worth trying, if you can find it. Salud!

3.84/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.14/5  rDev -20.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 3

3.79/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Despite the advertisement of cinnamon, the beer feels like it is more dominated by other spices, like clove, nutmeg, allspice. As these earthy spices come in, it is surrounded by milk chocolate and a medium mouthfeel.

3.98/5  rDev +1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

3.12/5  rDev -20.8%

Poured into a Rogue Spiegelau stout glass. A sumptuous bubbly cocoa brown 2 finger head rests at the top.

Its a stout, so its black. I know James Page's brewing up in Wisconsin is messing around with some sort of white stout; but come on, you know a stout is black.

As they say in the movies, it was love at first sniff. Its like a hot chocolate mix got thrown in with the ingredients of a pumpkin pie. Chocolate, peanut butter, and cinnamon attack the nostrils like ninjas. Yankee candles should be contacting Elysian right now to make overpriced wax. But in this case it would only be slightly overpriced.

I took one sip about 3 minutes after the pour, and it was still pretty cold.. I'll do us all a favor and wait about 15-20 minutes to let this puppy really be ready for a walk. 5.. 10.. 15.. O lets not tease her anymore, she's gonna start begging ;)

Its milky, clovey, and a big cinnamon kick. But man, a lot lighter than expected. Not a lot of rich malty flavors like I was bracing for. Its like a yoohoo with a cinnamon stick and a dash of pumpkin pie mix. It is sweet though, in the dairy sort of way. As is the case with many of its counterparts, a lot more spice and very little pumpkin. (A few more sips and Im starting to get a hazelnut bite.) Although with this beer I like the spice/malt/cocoa mix notes that are the result. But Im still let down by the overall body and flavor that is produced. Maybe a higher ABV would have helped in this case.. I'm not sure. But this walk is looking like its getting cut short.

I didn't dislike it, I was just disappointed. I have heard so many good things about this beer for the past few years and this was my first opportunity to try it. it looks like I'm in the minority as far as my opinion on this beer goes. I feel like I just wanted a bit more of a heavier base, you know? I wish there was a richer and more solid malt layer to rest my head on.

I feel like Im back in high school and the very rare case of all the guys thinking that this one girl is really hot, and I just don't think she's all that. I mean, I'd go out with her if she asked me, but even in my fantasies thats a lot to ask for... Who am I kidding? Id go out with her if she asked, and I'd have a good time. We would split the check though, and she would be home on time.

3.64/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Disregard. . . Wrong beer

4.3/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.38/5  rDev +11.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.13/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

3.9/5  rDev -1%

4.25/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours dark black with a nice tan head. Leaves minimal lacing as it is consumed. The smell is a pleasant cinnamon, cocoa, roasted malt and for me hints of vanilla.It tastes like chocolate fudge, vanilla, cloves and massive amounts of cinnamon. It is less sweet than the smell led me to believe and it finishes nicely with a bitterness and spiciness that seems to come directly from the cinnamon but with hints of bitter chocolate. Not getting any pumpkin from this beer but I like it anyway.

4.05/5  rDev +2.8%

3.38/5  rDev -14.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Picked this bomber up on a recent trip to Arizona. A package date of 7/20/15 poured into a twelve ounce tulip glass.

Look- Pours a dark brown with a small amount of tan foam.

Smell- Cinnamon heavy and not much else.

Taste- Once again cinnamon forward with some dark roast.

Feel- Tingly sensation from the heavy cinnamon presence.

Overall- A bit too one dimensional with all the cinnamon for me. Not a drain pour, but nothing spectacular. If you like chewing on a cinnamon stick, this ones for you.

3.96/5  rDev +0.5%

2.25/5  rDev -42.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.25

3.73/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

4.01/5  rDev +1.8%

Poured from a 22oz bomber into a speiglau stout glass.

Look is pitch black with red highlights on the edges with a tan frothy head.

Real pumpkin bread aroma. Lots of pumpkin spice with a dark malt.

Tastes like pumpkin bread, but feels a little thin.

3.48/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.89/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Dark O' The Moon from Elysian Brewing Company