Savant | Elysian Brewing Company

Elysian Brewing Company
Washington, United States
elysianbrewing.com

Style: American IPA

Formerly known as Idiot Sauvin.

Added by barleywinefiend on 08-29-2010

4.48/5  rDev +15.2%

The hops - the grapefruity hops... I can smell this one all day long. I might be treading on hallowed ground here, but I think this beer is a worthy substitution for Pliny the Elder, as RR's recent feet-beating from WA has left a bit of a hole in the citrus/hop stratosphere. Sniff it, sip it ---- ahhhh... love it. Will be heading over to Elysian on the hill this weekend to see if this bad monkey is on tap.

4.5/5  rDev +15.7%

3.5/5  rDev -10%

4.35/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

I am continuing to empty my house of pesky bottles that seem to hang around in favor of CANs. I recently met up with Dick Cantwell in PHL and he remains my hero.

From the bottle: "India Pale Ale The star of the show in this beer is the citrus and passion fruit aroma and flavor of New Zealand Nelson Sauvin hops."; "Our Manic IPA Series allows us to indulge in our hop obsession and share with you some of our favorite varietals."

I got a finger of tawny head from my initial pour that reduced to skim as I was typing. Nose was full-on grapefruit underlain with a light sweetness that I could not identify, perhaps the passion fruit of the label? Color was a deep-copper with NE-plus quality clarity, enabling me to see into the future. It looks like hops are in the offing for today. Mouthfeel was thin-to-medium and the hops were more tangy than bitter on the tongue. I really liked the interplay between the hops and the malt, which held up nicely despite the emphasis on hops. It took on a citrus/flowery flavor as it warmed, really becoming quite floral. Finish was semi-dry and the biscuit malt flavor seemed to linger after the swallow. This was quite good and an auspicious way to start the day.

3.25/5  rDev -16.5%

3.75/5  rDev -3.6%

Thanks to 5000 for sending me this bottle.

The beer pours an orange color with a white head. The aroma has a lot of pine and orange in it, as well as some sweetness from the biscuit malt. The flavor is more complex. I get a lot of mango and apricot notes at first, along with some biscuit malt. As I drink more I start to get some peach and other tropical fruit. The bitterness level is low but the hop flavor is very strong. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

3.68/5  rDev -5.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Off tap this beer was a clear bronze/orange color with a good amount of rising carbonation and a khaki head. The retention was excellent and the lacing in bands. The aroma was hoppy and a bit citrusy. The flavors were very musty with some notes of leather, citrus, roots and earth. Semi-sweet at first but it finished distinctly bitter and quite 'green' tasting overall. It left an oily slick on my tongue. The mouthfeel was creamy and semi-slick, the body medium and the carbonation delicate. I'd be curious to know what hops they used to produce such an oil-heavy and bitter IPA but mostly because I think it was a bit over-done and I'd make a note of those hops for my own homebrewing purposes.

3.98/5  rDev +2.3%

Poured into my glass stein a coppery amber color with a three finger monster sudsy head that gradually deflated back to a solid half finger which remained for the duration of the glass. As expected, the aroma was rich and strong with white wine character just bursting out of the top of the glass. In fact, it almost completely covers up the very faint aroma of grassy herbal tones, light lemon peel, and a toffee malt. Flavor follows the nose in lockstep. Medium body and texture. Overall this one seems to fall squarely on the sweeter, kinder, gentler side of IPA bitterness balance...which I theorize was probably intended as such in order to allow the vinous qualities to stand out as much as they do.

Really worth checking out if you like white wine character appearing in your beer. Certainly I have had beers before with higher levels of white wine flavor/aroma than this, but every single one of them actually used grapes, and this one notably does not. Impressive.

3.95/5  rDev +1.5%

Poured from a bomber into a tulip glass.

Medium amber color, clear with good carbonation. Thick, foamy, white head which is in no rush to leave.

Aroma is complex at first, with some nice sweet dark fruit flavors, but slowly taken over by the hoppiness, specifically a strong grapefruit smell.

Taste is dominated by the hops, pretty consistent with what was expected for an IPA from the west coast. If I was tasting this blind, I would probably call this a double IPA. The hop flavor is very strong compared to any sweetness, although the malt definitely is there. There's also even more bitterness than there is hop flavor.

Medium bodied beer with a substantial amount of bitterness. For this style, I think there's actually a little too much bittering compared to the flavors. Elysian definitely didn't hold back on this one, although I feel like for all the hoppiness that's here, a little bit more variation wouldn't hurt the beer any.

Savant from Elysian Brewing Company