Savant | Elysian Brewing Company

Elysian Brewing Company
Washington, United States
elysianbrewing.com

Style: American IPA

Formerly known as Idiot Sauvin.

Added by barleywinefiend on 08-29-2010

firstprev| 326-350 | 351-375 | 376-400  | next → last
3.46/5  rDev -9.7%

Poured into a pint glass and enjoyed on 2/4/12.

Appearance: Poured into my pint glass with a hazy medium amber color. White head that didn't retain very long, but quite a bit of lacing with this brew.

Smell: Citrus, grapefruit scent to it. Nothing else jumping out of the glass.

Taste: Citrus hops that are clean on the palate and are backed by a light malt sweetness. Finishes easy with average bitterness for an IPA.

Mouthfeel: Medium mouthfeel with easy drinkability and light carbonation.

Overall: Drinkable, above average IPA that showcases its citrus hops.

3.85/5  rDev +0.5%

Picked up tonight at the COOP... seems pricey at $5ish... but oh well. Poured into my small CC goblet... great off white head leaves tons of lace atop a slightly hazed orange brew.

Nose is good with a perfect mash-up of citrus and something that I identify with tropical fruits.... pale malt sweetness helps bring the fruits up and out of the glass.

Nice bitterness balanced by a slight malt sweetness... the hops are the same fruity citrus quality in the aroma... a bit of lingering bitterness on the finish.

Body seems a touch thick... probably because of the residual sugars... carbonation is small bubble and very smooth....

Glad I got to try this one fairly fresh.... Will I buy again? probably not unless I am trying to brew a similar IPA.

4/4/4/3.5/3.5

3.49/5  rDev -8.9%

A - Pours an inch of off-white creamy head with good legs and leaving plenty of lacing. The beer is clear and medium copper in color.

S - The aroma wasn't as powerful as I expected. Even as it warmed it only became slightly more prominent. Floral and fruity notes and a little bit of spiciness are present.

M - Light to medium in body with moderate carbonation.

T - The taste is equal parts floral and fruity with each component competing with the other for dominance. The malt presence is pretty minimal, just a little sweetness, allowing the hops to showcase themselves. There is an earthy bitterness in the finish.

A pretty good beer, as a homebrewer it's great to get to be able to learn about new hop varieties though tasting and smelling.

4.47/5  rDev +16.7%

Pours a rich amber color just transparent enough to see rising carbonation. The dense creamy head stands over an inch tall in my large Sam Adams glass. Smell is pungent with grapefruit, it really comes through strong. I also get some resin and floral scents. Taste hilights the citrus and resinous hops as well as some toffee tasting malts. This really gives a strong presence without being too unbalanced. This appeals to my west coast hop cravings but also makes this something you could pair with a meal. Mouthfeel is slightly thicker than the average IPA, with assertive carbonation. I really love this beer, hopefully it'll be around for a while. Props to Elysian.

3.19/5  rDev -16.7%

22oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

A: A slightly hazy medium copper color. One and a half finger off white head that has great retention and lacing.

S: Very light floral aromas. A touch of caramel.

T: Some caramel and toffee upfront. A floral and earthy hop flavors. A slight spice but bitterness is low.

M: Medium light body. High carbonation. Slightly oily.

O: It's decent. Don't know much about the Sauvin hop, but it must not be a great bittering hop.

2.07/5  rDev -46%

I was going to restrain from reviewing this beer - but I read a couple of reviews....and couldn't keep silent.

A - it looks great in the glass. Beautiful lacing, nice color - let's do this.

N- Off! It smells of plastic - a big strike.

T- Thin. Lacking in almost every category. Carbonation is decent - that is the only thing going for this Nelson Hop only beer.

F- Lacking. This beer is not good. I actually sent the last 1/5th of the beer to the drain.

Am I the only person who thinks Elysian does good pumpkin beers- and that's it!?!?

3.06/5  rDev -20.1%

Unfortunately a miss for me.

Beer is golden / orange in color with a decent white head of small and medium bubbles, some lacing, some carbonation. Looks nice.

The aroma is just a little off. I've had 100% nelson beers before, this smells like grass, not like hops. Bummer.

Beer is mildly sweet on the front and earthy and grassy on the back end of the beer. Overall interesting but throughout boring. A pretty big disappointment since this was suppose to be an IPA, not even close, almost no bitterness, the finish was meh with an unfortunate aftertaste, no thank you.

2.46/5  rDev -35.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a very hazy and completely opaque dark copper color with golden orange edges and a one finger frothy white head that has good retention, only slowly fading into a thick lasting ring.

Earthy aroma with lots of leathery malt and faint earthy hops.  Smells more like a barleywine really with hints of caramel, toffee and leather.  Not that hoppy for an ipa with some earthy pine needle and very faint citrus fruit.

Full bodied with a stronger hop presence than the aroma suggests but it's still pretty boozy and very malt forward.  Slight creamy texture with some dry bitterness up front that lingers throughout.  Very strong malt backbone with hints of caramel, biscuit, toffee and an odd leathery presence.  Slightly spicy in the finish.

Overall I wasn't really feeling this beer.  It kind of has an identity crisis smelling and tasting more like a hoppy old/strong ale.

3.68/5  rDev -3.9%

I believe this is actually a Belgian IPA, as one of the bartenders at the Capital Hill spot told me. He may be wrong though, it didn't seem to be too Belgian.
Dark amber, almost a brown with a beautiful offwhite head. Smells peppery, fruity with a little citrus, some other delicate things going on.
It's nice, good flavors, some crystal malt presence (maybe Special B?), peppery, fairly bitter but not over the top at all. Pretty good now, I really like the way the hops fade into the beer, but the yeast characteristics of this one are still not integrated enough for me. Definitely a beer with promise.

4.19/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

This was my favorite beer at Hopfest! Even more impressive, it was like my 7th, my palate, I thought, was largely corrupted by this point in time, but bam, this hit me in the nose and mouth pleasantly.

Big vibrant orange color, but the nelson sauvin resinates in the nose. So yummy.

Taste, more of that sticky resin from the hops. Very smooth, chills on the bitterness, this was a pleasure to enjoy, it really was all about the hops, without the high ibu braggadocio. I loved Deadlift, and I love this one even more. Was such a nice change of pace. I didn't really get much of a grape feel, which is what I continually read about this hop, but who cares, I loved it!

I've had it twice in bottles, its a far cry from the awesomeness that I had at Hopfest. I dunno, just doesn't have the sauvin bite anymore.

firstprev| 326-350 | 351-375 | 376-400  | next → last