Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Night Owl Pumpkin Ale | Elysian Brewing Company

Washington, United States
elysianbrewing.com

Style: Pumpkin Ale

Availability: Fall

Brewed with 150 lbs. of pumpkin in each batch. Made with Pale, Munich and Crystal malts green and roasted pumpkin seeds, pumpkin in the mash, boil and fermenter. Bittered with Horizon hops. Spiced in conditioning with nutmeg, clove, cinnamon, ginger and allspice.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-11-2002

4.2

Ratings: 1,307 |  Reviews: 386

1.06/5  rDev -73.2%

This beer was good at first. The color of the amber ale was what i expected with most beers. The foam quickly disappears and it smelled good at first. It smelt like a pumpkin ale. I quickly found out I was allergic to this beer though. I read some other reviews online and they said it had lemongrass in it. I am allergic to lemongrass so I won't be purchasing this beer again.

When it hit my mouth, I also found it had lots more cinnamon in it then i expected. It also didn't have a good after taste like most of the non-lemongrass beers I try. After the cinnamon taste left, then came the spices and man did they pack a punch to your taste buds. I do not like spicy foods so this was a real disappointment. I thought they were going to go light on the spices which would have been okay. I was able to finish the beer and then noticed I didn't feel good at all. That's when I found out I was allergic to lemongrass.

One thing I do want to stress is if you try this beer, the taste of the beer stays in your mouth overnight and it is really gross. Most beers don't stay in your mouth overnight and quickly disappear. I will be sticking to fat tire and mens room original red from now on.

1.16/5  rDev -70.6%

1.65/5  rDev -58.2%
look: 4 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Well the beer looked great in the grocery store, promising a hearty ale perfect for the first chilly evenings of fall. Open the beer though and things go downhill...fast, a freefall into mediocrity. First off, the brew is devastatingly under-carbonated, an attribute that contributes to a flat, thin flavor and slightly grainy texture. Second of all, the beer smells like the holiday section of Walgreens, only less saccharine. And for the record, I am not against pumpkin ales, quite the contrary. I love the full, hearty, festive flavor of a well-brewed pumpkin. I am also not against Elysian. They make a fantastic Amber, one of the best. But the Night Owl flew away with all the body and flavor somewhere before bottling...

2.25/5  rDev -43%

2.25/5  rDev -43%

2.42/5  rDev -38.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.75

look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

12/15/16, 22oz bomber, San Mateo, Night Owl Pumpkin Ale, obvious smell of pumpkin pie, not much of a head, first taste is unlike that of a beer, not much hop character, get a tad better after half the beer but mouthfeel is thin/lacking, 2.5

2.59/5  rDev -34.4%

It's interesting and creative
But pumpkin ale is not my type

2.68/5  rDev -32.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.5

2.75/5  rDev -30.4%

Poured this cold beer into a pounder glass. Rich in foggy amber fall color. In the bottle it smelled like a seasonal gift store. In the glass it smelled more like a heavily pumpkin spiced beer. The first very cold taste seemed unpalatable. I let it warm close to room temperature and things came around. Flavors married, though flavors were less intense, spices tend to burst around the mouth and are a bit too prominent. Tastes to me as if pumpkin spice was simply shaken into my beer.

2.76/5  rDev -30.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.75

2.79/5  rDev -29.4%

22 oz bottle. Pours a hazy amber bown with a thin head that quickly goes to a thin collar.

The aroma is bready malts, a touch of fruit and some spices (nutmeg, allspice).

The flavor is vegetal malts with spices. It has a bit of an off metallic finish. The mouthfeel is medium to full bodied with a little spritzy carbonation, but is mostly watery.

Overall, it sounded and smelled so good - just didn't taste good to me. I like pumpkin beers but this was a bit off (vegetal and metallic).

Night Owl Pumpkin Ale from Elysian Brewing Company