Night Owl Pumpkin Ale | Elysian Brewing Company

Washington, United States
elysianbrewing.com

Style: Pumpkin Ale

Availability: Fall

Brewed with 150 lbs. of pumpkin in each batch. Made with Pale, Munich and Crystal malts green and roasted pumpkin seeds, pumpkin in the mash, boil and fermenter. Bittered with Horizon hops. Spiced in conditioning with nutmeg, clove, cinnamon, ginger and allspice.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-11-2002

4.2

Ratings: 1,281 |  Reviews: 379

3.42/5  rDev -13.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

4.42/5  rDev +11.9%

Bought from a secret stash at Little's Wine and Liquor

Poured into a pint glass, not paired with anything.

A&S: Easily the best smelling pumpkin beer I've had the opportunity to try. Smells like I stuck my nose in pumpkin pie (crust and all). This isn't a store bought pumpkin pie either, it contains all the spices (nutmeg, corriander, and a touch of brown cinnamon) and copious amounts of pumpkin. Lively semi-transparent reddish orange colored beer. With a creamy off-white head that is retained around a half an inch (some lacing).

T&M: The taste isn't nearly as intense as the aroma. Still very enjoyable, and debatably more enjoyable then a super intense pumpkin taste (eg. southern tier pumpking). More malty then the aroma with less pumpkin flavors and a similar amounts of spice. Crisp, but not too much of a bite, smooth as it goes down.

Overall: the best pumpkin beer I have ever had, easily the best. If you can get your hands on one I would highly encourage you. Incredibly affordable less than 5 bucks for a bomber!

3.25/5  rDev -17.7%

2.75/5  rDev -30.4%

Poured this cold beer into a pounder glass. Rich in foggy amber fall color. In the bottle it smelled like a seasonal gift store. In the glass it smelled more like a heavily pumpkin spiced beer. The first very cold taste seemed unpalatable. I let it warm close to room temperature and things came around. Flavors married, though flavors were less intense, spices tend to burst around the mouth and are a bit too prominent. Tastes to me as if pumpkin spice was simply shaken into my beer.

4.21/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

bomber into a Deschutes teku glass. 2013 release.

Pours a dark copper/orange color with a nice inch thick head. The smell is of pumpkin pie...lots of nutmeg and cinnamon and pumpkin flavor. Taste is again right on the money - pumpkin pie flavor. Not overwhelming in any way though, all the spices are very balanced. Not too sweet or too bitter. An exceptional pumpkin flavored beer. Medium bodied, medium carbonation.

Overall upper echelon as far as pumpkin beers go.

3.75/5  rDev -5.1%

3.5/5  rDev -11.4%

3.25/5  rDev -17.7%

4.25/5  rDev +7.6%

4.25/5  rDev +7.6%

4.13/5  rDev +4.6%

I got an opportunity to try this at "The Great Pumpkin Debate" in Wilmington, DE this past weekend. First. let me say that I am one that does not like a lot of pumpkin beer. I decided to walk the tables and see if there was one that actual appealed to me.

I came across Elysian Night Owl on the second table and was blown away. This had beautiful clarity and nice carbonation with a gorgeous nose that reminded me of Thanksgiving. I am mostly turned off by these beers because of the over use of spices. The flavors were in perfect harmony! Just the right amout of spice, pumpkin, and cinnamon to keep you wanting more. The carbonation danced on your palate, keeping things lively.

I would definitely recommend this beer if you are leary about pumpkin beers like me. This will be my choice this Halloween!

3.75/5  rDev -5.1%