Night Owl Pumpkin Ale | Elysian Brewing Company

Washington, United States
elysianbrewing.com

Style: Pumpkin Ale

Availability: Fall

Brewed with 150 lbs. of pumpkin in each batch. Made with Pale, Munich and Crystal malts green and roasted pumpkin seeds, pumpkin in the mash, boil and fermenter. Bittered with Horizon hops. Spiced in conditioning with nutmeg, clove, cinnamon, ginger and allspice.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-11-2002

Ratings: 1,265 |  Reviews: 373
4.36/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.03/5  rDev +2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

4.62/5  rDev +17%

I will keep this simple:

Would be 5/5 taste, but there is a detectable watery quality to it. Note, I gave it a 4.5 for a reason. This is a knock-out autumnal beer. It will be in my fridge throughout the season. Please try it and buy it.

Pumpkin pie in a glass with a spice balance better than grandma's.

4.52/5  rDev +14.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

One of the better pumpkin beers that I've had. A bit sweeter than some.

3.66/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

4.93/5  rDev +24.8%

4.12/5  rDev +4.3%

I love when the pumpkin beers start slowly dotting the beer aisle at the store to mark the fall season. About 7 or 8 years ago my wife was the catalyst for getting me into pumpkin beers. We would then gather any pumpkin beers from John's Market in Portland and do a tasting of the various offerings of this style. I have to say the more I have Night Owl the more I move it up the list of pumpkin beers. This is a great overall spiced yet balanced pumpkin beer. I still think the Great Pumpkin by Elysian takes no. 1, but this isn't far behind.

3.9/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.92/5  rDev -0.8%

1.06/5  rDev -73.2%

This beer was good at first. The color of the amber ale was what i expected with most beers. The foam quickly disappears and it smelled good at first. It smelt like a pumpkin ale. I quickly found out I was allergic to this beer though. I read some other reviews online and they said it had lemongrass in it. I am allergic to lemongrass so I won't be purchasing this beer again.

When it hit my mouth, I also found it had lots more cinnamon in it then i expected. It also didn't have a good after taste like most of the non-lemongrass beers I try. After the cinnamon taste left, then came the spices and man did they pack a punch to your taste buds. I do not like spicy foods so this was a real disappointment. I thought they were going to go light on the spices which would have been okay. I was able to finish the beer and then noticed I didn't feel good at all. That's when I found out I was allergic to lemongrass.

One thing I do want to stress is if you try this beer, the taste of the beer stays in your mouth overnight and it is really gross. Most beers don't stay in your mouth overnight and quickly disappear. I will be sticking to fat tire and mens room original red from now on.

4.84/5  rDev +22.5%

Yum this is a fantastic pumpkin ale

So much flavor this is better than desert pumpkin roll

3.53/5  rDev -10.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

4.15/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

2016 vintage. Bottled on 7/15/16. 12oz bottle poured into a tulip. Pours a hazy glowing burnt orange with a light tan head that fades leaving decent retention and lacing. The aromas are very nice. Tons of spices. Lots of cinnamon and ginger. Some clove in the mix. Malts are there. The spice profile is really nice and shines. The flavors seem to follow the nose for the most part. The spice notes are clean and don't overwhelm. The cinnamon and ginger lead the way with some hints of nutmeg. The allspice does its thing. Some caramel in the mix. Malts are there, but don't seem dominant. Alcohol goes unnoticed. Mouthfeel is light and thin with active carbonation. It's very smooth and easy to drink.

This is a very nice pumpkin ale. I know it's still summer and pumpkin ales taste better when the leaves are falling, but I've never had this and I wanted to try it relatively fresh. It's very enjoyable and the spice notes are on point. Well done.

3.91/5  rDev -1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

2.68/5  rDev -32.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.5

4.16/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

3.75/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.37/5  rDev -14.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

12 oz bottle. 2015 batch.

A: Hazy amber. Thin foam.
S: Intense cinnamon and spices.
T: Spices. Moderate caramel. Moderate bitterness. Slightly citrus (lemon). Dry. Short finish.
M: Light bodied. Crispy carbonation.
O: I dislike the strong cinnamon candy smells. The flavor and mouth feel are lighter making me able to drink it.

3.49/5  rDev -11.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.5/5  rDev -11.4%

4.07/5  rDev +3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

3.86/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Smells like pumpkin pie. Tastes like Beer pored over pumpkin pie. Pretty good actually. I was slightly disappointed in but still pretty good.

3.3/5  rDev -16.5%