Split Shot Espresso Milk Stout | Elysian Brewing Company

Elysian Brewing Company
Washington, United States
elysianbrewing.com

Style: Milk / Sweet Stout

Split Shot combines the local talents of Elysian Brewing and Stumptown Coffee in a deliciously smooth, very Northwest beer.

Added by suncrust on 04-25-2012

1.75/5  rDev -55.4%

1.92/5  rDev -51%
look: 3.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2

I'm not much of a fan of darker beers, I read about milk stouts and was interested so I went out and got a bottle of this. Confirmed my opinion on the brew

2.5/5  rDev -36.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

2.5/5  rDev -36.2%

My usual disclaimer: I don't drink coffee and I don't like coffee. But I do like beer and give coffee beers a fair shot. Served in straight pint glass. Poured the expected black with just a thin cap of tan head that had zero retention or lacing.

I could smell the coffee even as the bartender was pouring the beer. when he handed it across the bar, the only aroma was coffee. No grains, no malt, no yeast, no spice, no beer aspects at all in the aroma. The flavor was the same, all coffee, no beer. Maybe this is what the brewers were shooting for, so I'm not giving the flavor profile the lower score I think it deserves.

The body was average for a milk stout, smooth and a bit creamy. Drinkability will, obviously, depend on your taste for coffee. If you love the stuff, you will love this beer. Overall, you could get one of these instead of an iced coffee at Starbucks and be just as satisfied. I don't mind roasted notes in beer, and if there is a hint of coffee to complement the the malts and grain in a beer, that's acceptable. But when the adjunct in a beer so completely overpowers the basic "Beeriness" of a beer, that beer has gone off the rails. I cannot recommend this beer to the non-coffee lover.

2.75/5  rDev -29.8%

3.01/5  rDev -23.2%

3.14/5  rDev -19.9%

This is the beer that prompted me to write a review. For all the great beers I've had I haven't bothered because everyone else was already raving about them.

Elysian makes some outstanding beer but this just isn't one of them.

This beer is bursting with flavor but in ways that I just found all wrong. I couldn't figure out if I was drinking a beer or a coffee.

Part of the problem maybe that I know coffee. This beer tasted like burnt coffee. If you're a real coffee drinker you know the complexity coffee can have and I just got hung up on how strong the coffee flavor was but how burnt and undeveloped it was. I would never drink coffee that tasted like this so I found it a sad excuse to consider such a strong flavor of burnt quality to be acceptable because it was in a beer.

It did have a nice smoothness and a pleasing sweetness so I do think Elysian has some great stout making abilities but marrying it pleasingly with coffee didn't work out too well with this one.

3.17/5  rDev -19.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Another beer with a great name and description, but lacked flavor. The profile was so off, it became a drain pour.

3.17/5  rDev -19.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

3.18/5  rDev -18.9%

3.19/5  rDev -18.6%

3.23/5  rDev -17.6%

Tasted really thin. I was hoping for something more robust.

3.24/5  rDev -17.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Split Shot Espresso Milk Stout from Elysian Brewing Company