Space Dust IPA | Elysian Brewing Company

Elysian Brewing Company
Washington, United States
elysianbrewing.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Space Dust :: A Totally Nebular IPA. Great Western premium two-row, combined with c-15 and Dextri-Pils, give this beer a bright and galactic Milky Way hue. The hopping is pure starglow energy, with Chinook to bitter and late and dry additions of Citra and Amarillo. Space Dust is out of this world, with 62 IBU.

Added by corby112 on 08-06-2012

Ratings: 2,581 |  Reviews: 459
1.32/5  rDev -67.6%

1.5/5  rDev -63.2%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Like most beers from the North West, it's weak. Too sweet, no character, no class and definitely not memorable. Ended up dumping a fresh beer because I didn't want to waste my time or calories.

1.8/5  rDev -55.9%

1.85/5  rDev -54.7%

1.9/5  rDev -53.4%

1.97/5  rDev -51.7%

2.09/5  rDev -48.8%

Don't believe the hype. The hops were muddled and it wasn't anything more than an average IPA

2.44/5  rDev -40.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.25

2.46/5  rDev -39.7%

2.52/5  rDev -38.2%

Bottled on 9/11/17, poured on 12/9/17
L: Looks decent. On the clear side of light orange. Big white head. Spotty lacing. Cool graphics. Can't wait to see what "pure starglow energy " smells and tastes like...
S: Smells a little fruity, lightly floral, and dank. I am a fan of dank beers but I like a strong citrus or tropical kick to accompany. There may be a hint of apricot in there but I had to search for it. The space cadets must be naturalists because one of the space cadets is not wearing deodorant; I picked up a faint, musty B.O. smell on my second pour...
T: Tastes bitter. Tried letting it warm but that didn't help much. Nothing really stands out in the flavor except the hop bitterness. Bitter on the front, bitter in the middle, followed by a,,, guess what,,, a bitter aftertaste. Not undrinkable but not good. So far, I'm not a fan of the "Nebular" IPA...
F: Feels medium, good carbonation. Not boozy at all.
O: Overall I am very let down. This beer was hyped up from the bottle to the reviews, and I was excited to finally find a fresh pack on the shelf... (Now I know why these sit on the shelf for a long time.) Sorry to be negative but after having 3 of them, it is what it is. I was expecting more good flavor from a DIPA. I don't consider bitter to be a good flavor. Space Dust may be "out of this world" for a reason... (They won't be in my world again!)

2.55/5  rDev -37.5%

2.57/5  rDev -37%

Pretty boring. Not much citrus. Tastes like it was filtered through paper towels.

2.59/5  rDev -36.5%

I really didn’t like the taste here. Looks and smells nice and I’ll even say it tastes okay until it gets to be back of my tongue. At that point comes something just unpleasant. Seems a lot of folks like it, though, so it’s probably worth trying. For me, however, I won’t buy again.

2.65/5  rDev -35%

On the side of the front label: "05DEC16 DA57"

Appearance: The body of the beer is moderately hazy and it has a medium gold hue. The head is short and white with good retention. Great lacing.

Aroma: There is not a lot of aroma here. Oddly it smells a bit like wet dog. If I hadn't smelled my glass prior to pouring the beer I might be inclined to think it was the glassware because it is an atypical smell for an IPA.

Taste: There is a light minty flavor at first, followed by a bit of a cedar flavor, and it finishes with just a touch of caramel flavor and alcohol. It's not a bad tasting beer but it is just very mediocre.

Mouthfeel: It has excellent bitterness and carbonation. The finish is a touch raspy and muddy.

Overall: It just was not a very good beer. The biggest killer for this beer was the aroma because every time I would go to take a sip I would revisit this wet dog scent. After the aroma comes an average tasting IPA. It just was not very enjoyable. I wouldn't recommend it and I wouldn't drink it again.

2.67/5  rDev -34.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.25

2.68/5  rDev -34.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

2.7/5  rDev -33.8%

2.75/5  rDev -32.6%

2.75/5  rDev -32.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Hoppy beer not my cup of tea

2.76/5  rDev -32.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Very disappointed in this beer. It pours a slightly hazy golden with a foamy head that slowly dissipates, good lacing. Smell is muted and of grapefruit, pine, some overripe banana and other sweet overripe fruits. Taste is very hop forward and bitter. The bitterness is flat and straightforward, not bright, and I suppose dominated by the Chinook hops. There is some grapefruit peel and pine resin as well as tangerine and papaya and overripe or even rotten banana along with overtones of armpit and soap. There was something nauseating here. Body feels squarely medium owing to some creaminess in the carbonation, but the malt is disproportionately thin. At least the alcohol is nicely undetectable.
Is this supposed to be craft?

2.77/5  rDev -32.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

2.81/5  rDev -31.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.75

I started out liking this beer a lot but as I drank it went downhill. I love hoppy beers and all with a nice bitterness however, this was overly dry in the finish. Too dry for me. I had trouble finishing this beer due to the unpleasant taste it left in my mouth. I definitely will not be buying this beer again.

2.82/5  rDev -30.9%

"2.9 AROMA 7/10 APPEARANCE 3/5 TASTE 5/10 PALATE 3/5 OVERALL 11/20
samsmith33 (744) - - JAN 23, 2015

01/23/2015
Bottle to pint glass.

This immediately followed Uinta hop nosh. Space Dust is not as good. I like Elysian's Immortal IPA better as well.

Aroma is pine resin and caramel. Hazy yellow color. Smallish head. Taste is mild fruit. Pine, cedar,pine, a whole forest. Hard to describe, but only the unpleasant part of a woody taste. Middling. Go ’hawks.

2.85/5  rDev -30.1%