Superfuzz Blood Orange Pale Ale | Elysian Brewing Company

Read the review
Superfuzz Blood Orange Pale AleSuperfuzz Blood Orange Pale Ale

Elysian Brewing Company
Washington, United States

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Availability: Summer

Added by beertunes on 03-09-2013

Reviews: 113 | Ratings: 743
Reviews by LI_PO12:

4.04/5  rDev +9.5%

Kind of a dull yellowy-orange in shade. Very hazy. Later, evinces its clarity, with small flakes sunken and even smaller flakes still in suspension. Small, low to medium-retention off-white head. Grapefruit, sweet orange, mango, lemon rind, and black pepper aromas. Sweeter on the palate than I remember (over a year ago that I first tried it), although maybe that is a matter of just being more used to citrusy hops by now. You can definitely taste the orange, although if a person didn't know any better, could be mistaken for just an extreme hop character. Other flavors, this time hops for real, include grapefruit, mango, and strong peel or rind. Has a fairly crackery underbelly, and a noteworthy peppercorn showing. Aftertaste is all rind. The immediate dearth of sweetness after the swallow is almost a flavor in itself. Medium-bodied, nice and thick and smooth for the style, plenty of mostly sudsy carbonation from start to finish. It's different, and I've accounted for that in my score. Better than most pale ales if you're a hophead (which I am), and better than a lot of IPAs if you really like citrus (which I do), but deserving of some demerits relative to top shelf (I)IPAs.

3.55/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Maltier version in terms of smell compared to the Sculpin' Grapefruit IPA. Much lighter, small head, and depressing lacing. But drinkable and I actually would do this beer again because the hops are relatively solid.

Looks yellow to orange and cloudy. pieces of peel at the bottom adds a little funk:)

Short aftertaste, nothing prolonged. Very fresh and a ver good summer beer.

3.9/5  rDev +5.7%

I'm familiar with Blood Orange rinds/peels. I made a version of limoncello once but instead of Lemon rinds I used Grapefruit and Blood Orange rinds/peels. When I drink this beer I can distinctly taste the blood orange rind. The rind is bitter so it works harmoniously with the bitter hops. I'm not a big fan of bitters. This beer is quite bitter. Its deceptive though since Elysian says that the IBU rating is 45. It seems higher than that. I have a love hate relationship with this beer because I love the blood orange but the bitters is on my threshold level.

In my opinion this is a good beer though. I would advise everyone to drink this beer nice and cold. I'm not sure how it tastes warm but this is a refreshing beer that deserves to be cold. This beer has a good mouth feel to it too. It doesn't feel thin and watery. It's just about as perfect as you could get in terms of mouthfeel for this style of beer. I give a thumbs up to Elysian for doing something unique and original. I think I like it! :-)

3.47/5  rDev -6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

4.24/5  rDev +14.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.59/5  rDev -2.7%

Great looking head though the chunks swirl into the glass, orangey minty nose with some biscuity backing. Easy on the palate, just enough bitterness. Rind more than juice. Yeast and toasted malt in the finish. Fun to try.

3.68/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.85/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.77/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

On tap and revisited with a 12 oz bottle in July 2016.
Large, frothy and durable white head over a hazy apricot colored body.
Medium-light body with soft, medium carbonation.
Attractive, citrus hop dominated aroma and flavor. Pleasing juicy flavor with subtle orange and faint suggestions of other tropical fruits.
Just the right level of bitterness for style. Body is a touch too thin.

4.3/5  rDev +16.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I really enjoyed this. I'm surprised this isn't getting stronger reviews.

Sure in the general citrus "PA" arena I'd prefer Sculpin (and just bought both). And maybe the folks looking for intense hoppy bitterness might not get the same kick as an IPA. However it's an APA and it's really solid and honestly it's pretty original. Very drinkable and balanced. It's clearly presents citrus (it i not a creamscicle - ignore that review unless your creamsicles have pine needles in them) It's nice and floral/citrus/grapefruity in terms of aroma and taste. I'll buy this again.

3.75/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.25/5  rDev -11.9%