Blueberry Ale | Pump House Brewery

Pump House Brewery
New Brunswick, Canada
pumphousebrewery.ca

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Blonde coloured ale with the wonderful essence of fresh blueberries. Sweet flavours of peppery blueberries, malts and spicy hops make this one a winner all the way. A one-of-a-kind refresher.

Added by PiratePete on 11-17-2003

Liked:
3.43/5
Alströms:

3.35/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Purchased the can from local LCBO solely to rate and with low expectations - there's a reason one does not typically taste "blueberries" in beer!

Pours a golden straw colour with very little white head - looks like many a macro lager. Aroma of blueberry essence, not fresh fruit, with a hint of cereal graininess in the background. Flavour is likewise very blueberry-forward, with an "extract" juiciness that overwhelms all other tastes. Some grains still present in the finish after the berries have subsided.

A bit of a disappointment, but may be a good gateway beer for an otherwise "cooler" or cocktail drinker. More of a shame in that Pump House produces one of the best APA's I've ever enjoyed in Canada and I can't fathom how this blueberry ale is available at the LCBO while the magnificent IPA is not...

1.5/5  rDev -56.3%

2.75/5  rDev -19.8%

3.74/5  rDev +9%

Had this several times out west but no formal review.

A - Pours a nice golden colour, finger of was with little retention or lacing.

S - Blueberries donate with a bready wheat finish.

T - Much like the nose with the blueberries coming through off the top and a bready wheat flavour that lingers on the palette. the blueberries aren't artificial in nature, which is nice, and they offer up a tart finish.

M - Medium, smooth and wet.

O - This delivers a solid fruit flavour without overwhelming the palette. Easy drinking and refreshing. One of my favorite blueberry ales.

3.75/5  rDev +9.3%

4.5/5  rDev +31.2%

3.62/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

had this many times before on tap with the frozen blueberries - always remember enjoying it. this time around trying from a bottle.

pours a light clear pale straw colour. half inch of head that fades immediately and leaves some patchy lacing.

smell is pretty much just a ton of blueberries - but good.

taste is similar - the obvious blueberries, wheat, some graininess.

as a whole it was not as good as i remember it being (maybe just the bottle i had), but definitely still enjoyable - worth a try for sure.

Appearance: clear, ¼ inch head, bright yellow gold in color, moderate carbonation

Smell: sweet blueberries and wheat

Taste: this follows the smell to a t.

Mouthfeel: sweet, medium-high carbonation, light bodied.

Overall: This to me is the closest I have found to Sea Dog Blue Paw. I like that beer and so I also like this one. Sweet, yet not artificial tasting, I could have several of these.

3.68/5  rDev +7.3%

Hazy orange appearance with thick head that sticks around for awhile. Smell is dominated by blueberry with a hint of grain and some sweetness.

Taste is once again mostly blueberry, but slightly scaled down from the smell. Picked up some grain and bread, but this tastes mostly like blueberry pie. Light,creamy bodied with moderate carbonation. Aftertaste has lingering dry blueberry taste.

Overall, a decent and refreshing fruit beer. The fruit doesn't taste fake or overpowering either. Looking forward to drinking this in the summer.

2.1/5  rDev -38.8%

I must have gotten a bad six pack, because my opinion is far, far less favourable than the ones posted prior. Purchased from an LCBO in Ottawa, bottled on Aug 25, 2010.

It poured an almost rusty-orange colour with a cloudy appearance and some kind of sediment in there. Very little white head.

It smells terrible. I love blueberries, but that's not what I'm smelling here. I get an aroma that's blueberry-like, but also the smell of apple juice and the water from a can of vegetables.

The taste is unnatural to me. I get a bitterness, like that of unripened grapes that starts kind of nice, but gives way to a chemically artificial, wine cooler-like taste. I couldn't find much sweetness to balance it out, it just made my cheeks dry. I also couldn't note any real beer taste, maybe a yeasty maltiness, but not much.

I really can't find anything positive to say about this beer. It took me 10 days to get through a six pack and I even dumped the end of at least three of those because it got much worse as it warmed.

I tend to like flavoured beers, but maybe the world of fruit and vegitable beers isn't for me.

Blueberry Ale from Pump House Brewery