Simcoe Pale Ale | Boundary Bay Brewery & Bistro

Awaiting More Ratings

Boundary Bay Brewery & Bistro
Washington, United States
bbaybrewery.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Added by RoyalT on 08-23-2004

Reviews by freed:
4.32/5  rDev 0%

Poured the dry-hopped version of this at OBF this year. Ironically, I'd just stopped by the hop union booth and crushed some simcoe cones between my fingers. So I may have been biased to start with.

Poured a deep copper with a buoyant white cap of foam. There appears to be plenty of carbonation going on in this fella.

The aroma bursts from the glass with rich citrus and resin and the happy joy that hop maniacs love. Even remembering the smell makes me drool.

The taste is of course dominated by the heavy hop bitterness and rich citrus flavor, but there is enough malt body to provide a solid platform for the beer. And there's also Boundary's rather identifiable yeast. Yum.

I suppose you could only drink so much of this before your tongue curled in on itself, but its a terrific beer.

4.19/5  rDev 0%

Appearance – This ale is a bright, clear orange in color with a strong, lasting head even though the barmaid poured my pint glass almost all the way to the top.

Smell – The sharp, orangy pine is a true delight, leaping out of the glass. I mean, this thing is rank. I called the brewery just to see if it is dry-hopped. They said that it wasn’t, but the hop aroma is just huge here. This is the strongest hop aroma I’ve smelled next to the Chunks.

Taste – The light malt base underlines the big hop flavors. It’s not just in the nose. The taste here is extremely hoppy. The pine and citrus flavors are just enormous.

Mouthfeel – Medium-bodied and very dry. This one manages to be creamy smooth without a big malt balance.

Drinkability – If you like hops you’ll love this ale.

Comments – This is listed by Boundary Bay as a Pale Ale although it is hoppier than 90% of IPAs that I’ve had. They only use Simcoe hops in this one, so if you want a sense of this hop the Simcoe Pale Ale is a great start.

Simcoe Pale Ale from Boundary Bay Brewery & Bistro