Erdinger Oktoberfest Weissbier | Erdinger Weissbräu

good
good
Read the review
Erdinger Oktoberfest WeissbierErdinger Oktoberfest Weissbier

Added by bierman2000 on 07-17-2003

3.6

Love

4.97/5  rDev +38.1%

This is the best beer I have ever drink. The taste after-flavour is awesome, it smells like a real beer. This is the real thing, the flavour is the best part.. at first swig I automatially realized, this is the best taste and mouhfeel I've ever had. Drink it when not eating. Had just a bad experience, I bought some on a promotion beacause of expiration date, and altought it was still on a valid date the taste was completely different, so make sure it is bottled recently before buying.

4.81/5  rDev +33.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 5

4.76/5  rDev +32.2%

4.75/5  rDev +31.9%

4.56/5  rDev +26.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.52/5  rDev +25.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This is my favorite "oktoberfest" import. To be fair, the oktoberfest style is not one of my favorites but hefeweizen is one I drink regularly. The Erdinger Oktoberfest is unusual in that it is actually a hefeweizen so it is no surprise that I seek it out and consume it annually. Since it is bottle conditioned and has fruitiness I assume it is brewed with ale yeast as is traditional for wheat beers. Although I like it better than their regular hefeweizen it would not be my first pick if I was craving a wheat beer. The main reason I buy it is to celebrate the oktoberfest season with a beer I enjoy. It does have the characteristics one looks for in a hefe: sweet malt, spicy caramel, candied fruit and roasted banana in the finish. As one one expect for a Bavarian beer, it is extremely well balanced and goes down very easy. On draft it is even better.

4.5/5  rDev +25%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.45/5  rDev +23.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I had this first when my buddy, who is in the military brought me a split case, 12 Oktoberfest and 12 Dunkel from his trip to Germany. I had not heard of this brewery so, needless to say I was excited. When I was in Germany I had several different kinds, but mostly draft and loved every one. So, after taking my first pour and seeing it the glass... nice German head and good color. I had to taste. It left nothing behind... the taste was very good.

Overall, I like the Oktoberfest better than the Dunkel, however they are different enough to not be competition for my palate.

I have not had an import version of this beer, but I would have to assume it should be just as good.

If you have a chance to taste this beer; get two.

4.45/5  rDev +23.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Pours hazy and golden with a very wide white foam head. Smell is right for the style, banana, cloves, wheat, yeast, the works. Almost no hops. Taste is balanced and right for the style again, low bitterness, refreshing and a little bit spicy. Took me a while to diferenciate this from the traditional hefe, but as it gained temperature more spices appeared and flavor changed. Nice beer.

4.42/5  rDev +22.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.42/5  rDev +22.8%

Poured into a dimpled mug.

Look: Hazy golden honey wheat color. A white foamy head dissipates slowly leaving a light film, not much lacing present.

Aroma: Wheat, sweet caramel, honey.

Taste: Sweet wheat grains, faint caramel sweetness, and honey.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied.

Overall, I love this beer. It's refreshing and has a great combination of normal oktoberfest caramel sweetness with a nice honey-wheat touch. Very smooth and drinkable.

4.4/5  rDev +22.2%

I tried this on tap at Oktoberfest Zinzinnati. Wow, this beer is really fantastic. A medium brown color with an off-white head. Aroma was citrusy, sweet, and a touch of roasty. Just as the name implies, it combines a true German style hefeweizen with Oktoberfest beer and was the highlight of the beers at the festival I was at. On one hand, you have the estery flavors from the hefeweizen, and on the other hand you have some of the malty and roasted flavors from the Oktoberfest beer. Combine those together and you have a winner. Somewhat light and thin mouthfeel made it perfect for the 80 degree day outside. I could have drank a lot more of this one.

4.38/5  rDev +21.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a cloudy dark burnt orange/light chestnut brown color with golden orange hues when held to a light source and a 1.5 finger frothy off-white head that has excellent retention, hardly fading at all throughout the whole glass, leaving splotches of soapy lacing in it's path.

This is a very unique beer which blends two excellent German styles and it's complexity is showcased excellently in every area.

The aroma displays qualities of both styles that this hybrid is made from. Caramel malt notes along with brown sugar and cinnamon spice are balanced by a prominent citrus fruit and spice clove presence.

The flavor is very similar to the aroma in that there is a nice caramel malt sweetness up front along with some brown sugar and cinnamon spice countered by a very spicy clove presence and lots of yeast/bread notes along with citrus peel and ripe banana.

This beer is a perfect combination of the two styles and is extremely well balanced, making it very drinkable. I wish this style was produced more often, but only if done this well. Highly recommended.

4.35/5  rDev +20.8%

Dark golden color with a pillowy white head, typical looking for a hefe. Smell is grainy, sweet, and I even get a little bit of lemon. Taste immediately gives you a sweet caramel flavor, some clove, and earthy hops. Mouthfeel is full, with higher than medium carbonation. Very drinkable beer for me, I liked this a little more than expected, I wish I picked up more.

11.2oz bottle

First, as a few mentioned it's not a marzen so any comparisons to a typical Oktoberfest marzen is simply a waste of time. Oktoberfest is not a style. This is a hefe-weizen that Erdinger apparently feels is an alternative to drinking marzen and that's what it should be reviewed as.

Nearly the darker color of Schneider-Weisse which I had just before this. I very much enjoy that beer. This beer is creamier, has a little more fruitiness to it. A hint of peach white tea. I like it a lot. It's a bit pricey though at nearly $11 a six pack and that would hold me back from purchasing it in the future. It's not a high alcohol beer at 5.7% so that doesn't justify the cost. Guess it's just a limited production beer and maybe that's the reason.

So in a nutshell, try it, if you're into weisse beers it's definitely worth it and you'll likely find it enjoyable.

Poured from 12oz bottle into a standard pint glass

Appearance- Beer pours a hazy gold with a big head of froth. I don't know what kind of beer these other reviewers have been getting, mine had a 3 finger head with a very slow dissapation.

Smell- Malt and wheat combined into one great smelling marzen. A nice balanced hop character. This smells great. Malt character comes out more as the beer warms.

Taste- Oh this is nice. Sweet caramelly malts with a nice light wheaty feel that keeps this beer light and refreshing, a touch of vanilla. Any gripe would be that the pils malt and saaz hop is contributing a little too much sweetness for some, but it's just enough for me.

Mouthfeel- Medium light bodied and refreshing with an excellent amount of carbonation.

Drinkability- Quite quaffable with a reasonable amount of alcohol. This is one I could drink on all day with no arguments.

Erdinger Oktoberfest Weissbier from Erdinger Weissbräu