Erdinger Oktoberfest Weissbier | Erdinger Weissbräu

good
good
Read the review
Erdinger Oktoberfest WeissbierErdinger Oktoberfest Weissbier

Added by bierman2000 on 07-17-2003

3.6

1.46/5  rDev -59.4%

best by date on the back of the bottle 03-2011

pours semi cloudy gold with a big 3 finger fizzy white head that faded fast and left no lacing

smells like water with hints of grain

taste is just as bad as the nose - hints of grain and banana and thats giving this brew too much credit

mouthfeel - way too much carbonation - this fizzy beer stings the roof of my mouth

drinkability is awful and how couldnt it be with no flavor and harsh mouthfeel

i hate to say it but bud light wheat is much better beer

2.06/5  rDev -42.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Fogged orange body. Ivory white head. Carbonation looks to be pretty active. Smells o.k., but not much like a hefe-weizen. More of a grainy sweet maltiness. Just a touch of ghostly spiciness. As it turns out, carbonation is too active. Way too spritzy. And gaseous. After cutting through all the seltzer like carbonation, I find this tastes more like an ofest than a hefeweizen. I find it hard to believe that a hefe-weizen yeast strain was used for this since all the characteristics of such a strain are absent. The maltiness is sweet more than malty. I'm not too fond of this beer. Looking at my other reviews of Erdinger, it seems I'm not too fond of the brewery in general.

2.36/5  rDev -34.4%

2.36/5  rDev -34.4%

A: Hazy orange, not much head, no lace to speak of.

S: What smell? Funny, sourness.

T: Sweet, pear, some kind of cider, maybe apple? Very wierd, not in a good way.

M: Highly carbonated.

D: Drain pour. Could not make it thru the whole bottle. Was not an old bottle, had 2010 date on it.

2.4/5  rDev -33.3%

A: head quickly dissipates, nice dark apricot colour.

S: not pungent at all. Bitter meaty smell. Few dark fruits and a vaguely weird smell.

T: vaguely fruity- apricot. Some malt and bitterness in there.

M: totally insufficiently carbonated, which is why head dissipates so quickly.

D: not only is it underflavoured but it's not carbonated enough.

Perhaps I am being overly harsh on this beer. It's not unpleasant but I wouldn't drink it again. It's just boring and ADDITIONALLY it doesn't help me out on this extremely hot night. I expect more from imports.

2.41/5  rDev -33.1%

Had on tap. Served in a pint glass.

Appearance was a hazy dark orange with a thick one finger white head.

Aroma was very fruity with hints of banana, clove, and apple. Also some bready yeasty notes. Just a very tiny bit of caramel malt.

Flavor was all apples. Really reminded me of a funky apple cider. There was a tiny bit of banana and clove but it was all overshadowed by apple. I could catch some caramel towards the finish but it was very faint.

Overall, this is not at all what I was expecting. I could understand a little bit of fruit with this being a hefe, but this was way overdone. Not really anything to let me know this was an Oktoberfest. Not something I will seek out again.

2.46/5  rDev -31.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Thick pillowy head on an effervescent golden orange body...soft malt scent with slight grain hints--nothing distinctive...watery soft palate....slightly metallic tinge with soft nondescript flavor....a bit of hay taste too...this doesn't quite bring the sweetness of an Octoberfest or the refresment of a weizen....surprisingly average...

2.49/5  rDev -30.8%

Not what I was expecting from the description. Taste isn't terrible, but more of summer beer than Octoberfest

2.64/5  rDev -26.7%

I poured this beer into my tumbler at 40 degrees. The beer was cloudy and pee colored. The beer poured a monster white puffy head that was really nice. The beer had a odd metallic smell to it. The taste was okay I guess for a Weissbier, but still not my favorite. Almost had that sour taste I hate. I will not buy again.

2.65/5  rDev -26.4%

A: Pours a hazy (wheat) orange with a monster head that was gone fast. Looks like a cloudy oktoberfest

S: There is a smell of munich malt with soft bread undertones. There is a subtle citrusy, ale character. Fruity esters does not at all seem appropriate for an oktoberfest style beer.

T: This is weird. I know its not a true oktoberfest because its a wheat beer. but this is just crawling with fruity esters. There is a strong citrus character and the malty flavors are suppressed to small background notes.

M: To thin for the style, watery almost

D: I didn't like this very much. Perhaps Its because my heart was set on an Octoberfest and this really tastes nothing like the style.

2.65/5  rDev -26.4%

A: pours bright cloudy yellow, with a frothy two finger white head. Head does leave some chunks of lacing. Looks great.
S: very light overall aroma, light yeast, not much of the normal Weiss aroma. I smell this as lacking overall.
T: rather weak on flavor, mostly light wheat and yeast.
M: light, slightly prickly carbonation.
O: needs to be more, yes I understand it is this way to allow for large quantity to be drank.

2.71/5  rDev -24.7%

Bright orange oak. Sticky, vanilla, maple and toffee aromas, with hints of banana, which are barely achieved by the swirling of the glass. Flavor is very thin and bland, initially bubbly, then creamy. Not all that flavorful, but it possesses light hints of toffee, along with a light floral hop kick on the finish.

2.73/5  rDev -24.2%

Pours amber with a large fading white head.
Nose shows some doughy wheat, lemon and soft vegetal notes. Pretty plain.
Sweet flavours, with some doughy wheat, corn and cooked vegetal sweetness.
Carbonation is too high.
A bit disappointing, pretty boring.

2.74/5  rDev -23.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This is a pretty sweet Oktoberfest brew which would be perfect to enjoy in 1 liter stein in Munich. Unfortunatly it's a little weak to drink on its own, or as part of a review session. The wheat is very apparent like other Erdingers, and the sweetness is really enjoyable. But there is something that just seems to be lacking from this brew, and I cant exactally put my finger on it.

2.75/5  rDev -23.6%

Its a Hefeweizen and I will never give this style a good review because they are all terrible to me. The taste is akin to the smell of rotten cabbage to me. So, that be said, if you like hefeweizen beer, then you might like this one. I did not realize this was one until after I started drinking it and decided to read the label a little more closely. That is about all I can say.

2.78/5  rDev -22.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a light hazy golden color with a light head that falls to a complete coat over top. Nose is not giving me a lot of hefe character. Slight lemon with a touch of wheat and a hint of clove. Flavor is pretty bland. Wheat is the predominant flavor. No real hefe character here. It really is very bland overall. Feel is moderate, not creamy, with a moderate to moderate-high carbonation. I'm really less than impressed with it. There is nothing in the flavor and the nose that draws me in. I'd pass on this one in the future.

2.8/5  rDev -22.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Best before 01/2008

Wow, I don't know if this beer could be much more plain. The aroma smells more of dust than barley or wheat and the flavor only has a sweet, light caramel. Sure its drinkable and washes down food, but it really doesn't do much. Tastes like something BMC would make, light in flavor and inoffensive with no head or lacing.

Erdinger Oktoberfest Weissbier from Erdinger Weissbräu