Erdinger Weissbier | Erdinger Weissbräu

erdinger.de

Style: Hefeweizen

Added by pezoids on 01-03-2002

Reviews: 780 | Ratings: 1,882

Erdinger is horribly underrated on this site; I know its not the strongest, nor the most flavourful weissbier, but it is utterly delicious. One of the easiest drinking beers I've ever tasted. A great introductory beer for those unacquainted with weissbier. Erdinger is my favourite beer hands down and a beer a recommend to weizen aficionados and newcomers alike.

This beer is amazing. Not as good as Paulaner Hefeweizen to me but a good cheaper version. Only cost be $12 for a six pack which is cheaper than a domestic beer in a local bar. Excellent beer. God himself helped these Germans design a beer like this that flows so elegantly down your throat. Love that banana nut bread taste. If your local bar has this stuff, stay away from the irish guy in the corner that says his irish brew is the best. You'll wind up whipping his ass. The beer bottles from Erdinger are a lot more painful than his cans

I don't understand giving this anything but A grade.
The BA score shows 80, does that mean B- grade beer?
The Bros give it a 74,.. does that mean C grade beer?
Ya'll are nuts, it's A grade,… let's give it a 95,… how would I improve it to 100,… I wouldn't,.. it's perfectly all well as far as my feel and sensibility, according to my body.
It's a nice fresh, medium, balanced, very pleasant beer,...it's excellent,… nice n balanced,… I love it.

I dont understand the lower ratings... this is an unbelievably good brew imho.... it is smoothe... flavorful... and a pretty pour.... it is a bit pricey and has somewhat of a "light" beer head.... but it is super tasty for backyard sitting

4.85/5  rDev +40.2%

For a time this was my favorite hefe, maybe even my favorite brew. I still love it but I appreciate some smaller craft hefes. This flavor lies in between Paulaner and Franziskaner. I think the Franziskaner is a little strong for most people, and this Erdinger comes in just about perfect. This is a perfect brew to sip on a hot day after working in the yard. Much tougher to find a 6 pack of this than Paulaner or Franziskaner. Sometimes i'm forced to go to Bristol Farms and get a 22 oz bottle, but usually I get it at the yardhouse in long beach on tap. I can't say anything negative about this brew. Fantastic, I can't wait to visit the Erdinger brewery.

4.68/5  rDev +35.3%

This WAS my favorite beer until I had some FRANZISKANNER HEFE! I've been buying all the hefes I can get my hands on at the local Total Beverage store. I've tried the Weihenstephaner, Hoegaarden, Fransizkaner....but the Erdinger is my second favorite. This drinks very well for me. I'm not much of a beer drinker at all but after having this I really can appreciate the smoothness of this and how it actually quenches thirst with no aftertaste! I don't like strong beers so this Erdinger is the second best...A- for me.

4.65/5  rDev +34.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Probably my favourite beer, certainly of the wheat variety anyway. Rich, tasty and always satisfying...Perhaps there are more interesting, niche varieties out there (in Germany, at least) but this is a solid winner !

4.62/5  rDev +33.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Lemon water is my favorite beverage, and this beer approximates albetit with Wheat beer chemistry. Smooth, mild bready nose, more lemon sour than bananaorama, light and creamy froth. Bottle fermentation down to a sweet science. Let the grouches grumble, this beer is a masterpiece.

4.6/5  rDev +32.9%

Served in an Erdinger Weizen glass

This beer introduced me to the wonderful world that comprises the Weissbier. I am proud to say that this beer is my go-to beer when I want a stong aroma, a white fluffy head, and finally tart citrus notes to end the drink with. As it warms, it remains a great companion in the evening with dinner or just alone. This is a beer that remains in my fridge.

4.58/5  rDev +32.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Very cloudy beer in appearance. Smells and tastes a little sweet. Good amount of carbonation due to the bottle fermentation. Very smooth.

Do yourself a favour and buy an "Erdinger" glass to really enjoy this beer. Otherwise If its your first time, use the largest glass you can (Sleeman works well). Also, watch a youtube video on how to pour. This may sound snooty, but it does make a difference.

This is one of my favorite beers.

Enjoy!

MB

4.58/5  rDev +32.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

06/17/14 Congrats, you've made an excellent choice. Thick, rich creamy head speckled lacing, mild aroma & serious texture almost chewable. Not what one might expect or desire in a Heff, but as a whole, it really, really good.

12/24/13 On tap. Very, very nice. This is one great beer. Soooo smooth. Unctuous comes to mind. Despite the fact Weiss biers are usually best suited for warmer weather this really hit the spot. So well balanced in an overall sense it's hard to describe what sets it apart. I guess all that's left is to say it hits all the marks, spot on. I'm drinking my second & there are 40 taps here. That should count for something.

4.56/5  rDev +31.8%

I pour this into a weizen glass. According to all hefeweizen brewers, having it in their own glass makes the beer better. I just pour all of mine into am Erdinger one. This beer will taste great regardless of the glass, as long as you pour it all out and mix the yeast.

5- This pours out to a cloudy golden color. Vibrant.
3- Head is about 2 fingers tall. It goes away fast compared to other hefeweizen styles.
5- Taste is superb. It is not overbearing like a typical hefeweizen such as Paulaner. Slight banana flavor.You can definitely taste the wheat. Honesty, Erdinger Urweise tastes more like a traditional hefeweizen than this one.
4- On any day, this as the right carbonation. Feels full when in mouth and doesn't leave any strong flavors. Really refreshing.

Over all not over bearing like similar styles. Perfect beer in my books. definitely always have a crate of this over the summer. Again, their Urweise tastes more like a hefeweien of comparable rivals.

4.56/5  rDev +31.8%

Poured into my new Erdinger glass. Ooh, I like this glass. Mainly because, I have no other like it. Anyways... Beer pours a hazy, almost orange hue colour. Though, in certain angles of light it does look more yellow. The head is HUGE. Though, I think the style of glass may contribute to it. Plenty of sporatic lace clings to the sides as the beer slowly disappears into my gullet. Very pleasant wheat smell, cloves, spices, light citrus fruit and some pepper on the nose. For a beer of low ABV, I can smell a bit of alcohol. Which is okay, but seems out of place. Very good taste. It almost seems layered. The first layer closest to your tongue is very midly bitter. Not exactly a grassy bitterness, but a crisp bitterness. The second layer is bready. Like drinking a fresh baked loaf. The third and final layer is sweet and sour fruits. Specifically, oranges and lime, with other citrus as well. Even some strawberries. Mouthfeel is smooth and crisp. Smooth going down the throat and caressing the tongue, but crisp after the swallow, tempting you to want another drink. Drinkable? Quite. One could pound back one after the other all night, or sip and savour it.

4.55/5  rDev +31.5%

Crisp - almost flavorless, in a good way. What light beers aspire to be, but fail miserably. Went well with very sharp chedder, went down smooth, left a good taste in your mouth, no bitterness. Not too much aroma, but enough to tell you that you were drinking a well crafted beer. I highly recommend that this is a beer you try this summer if you can find it.

4.5/5  rDev +30.1%

Pours frothy, generous head on top of tangerine tined straw body. Head settles a bit but maintains a nice even thick lace. Smells grainy, wheat, pineapple, citrus and banana. Tastes spicier than others of the style: pineapple and citrus at first, then the wheat, then fades to banana and last are the hops. Carbonation was really nice.. abundant, but not too sharp.. almost creamy. A pretty good session beer.

4.47/5  rDev +29.2%

My favorite hefe from Germany, because it's much cleaner tasting than most hefes by far ( screw you purists!). .5L brown bottle says best before 1 apr 06. Saw zero ill effects that this bottle was 40 days past its suggested shelf life

Pours a hazy & super bubbly straw color with a 2" deep white head, cleared nicely. Not much head retention or lacing, but great effervescence

Smell: fruity and slight yeast scent

Taste: Fruitty, slight lemon notes and grassyness up front. Finishes fruitty & quenching

MF: Great carbonation and slight syruppy feel to this. Balances just so to me (again not a huge fan of phenolic or band aid tastes)

Wow this goes down to easy, I close my eyes & see myself back in a biergaten somewhere in D'land.

4.4/5  rDev +27.2%

Murky gold color with a small head of tiny bubbled foam---a thin lacing remains on the sides of the glass.

Very subtle blend of wheat, yeast and malt is apparent on the nose.

Taste is a thick rich lush fresh bread character and biscuit like with a slight citrus fruitines on the finish. Much less banana flavor than many hese-weizens exhibit but it is still lingering just a little --just enough to know this is a hefe.

Very nice quenching mouthfeel. About as drinkable as you get for the style. This is right up there amongst the best hefes I've had.

4.38/5  rDev +26.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Fortunately, Erdinger Weissbier is readily available in my country, for it is simply one of the best wheat beers out there. It is at once fresh and fruity, with hints of lime and melon, but with a slight sweetness that is reminiscent of Danish honey. The ever so airy, white head is persistent, beautiful and attractive as a young maid in the virgin spring meadows.. Yes indeed Erdinger Weiss Bier is the perfect summer drink.

It should be consumed well chilled, in a real wheat beer glass (tall and slim with wide opening). I've been through my share of weissbeer in its homeland, and though this beer is often served with something as blasphemous as a slice of orange, it's still one of the best in its class and type. The only negative thing I notice is the aftertaste, which seems way more fermented than when drinking it from tap. But that shouldn't be an excuse not to buy bottles by the coli of this, Erdinger's best.

4.37/5  rDev +26.3%

Poured into a tall weizen glass.

Cloudy yellow in color, with a white head that holds for just under two minutes before dissolving into a wee bit of lace.

In smelling it, I'm picking up a nice but not heavy spicy note, perhaps clove, right behind a good grassy smell. After that, some orange, perhaps some raisin. Can't wait to drink it.

First drink - I'm so happy to not be disappointed by this brew. The combination of wheat, yeast, and hops is delivering an imaginative flavor. I'm getting light clove and grassiness up front, with orange and raisin not too far behind. This is one nicely done hefe-weizen, with some great balance.

I'll be picking up a six of this soon, to be sure. It was outstanding with my chicken and ribs combo. Made my afternoon.

4.35/5  rDev +25.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 12 OZ bottle into a pint glass at the World of Beer in Pooler, GA.
This beer is a hazy golden yellow color with a thick white head. The aroma is fruity with some biscuit/yeast backdrop. The flavor is very good with plenty of spices and some sweetness to power this beer along.
I found this to be a really good beer, I will drink this again.

4.35/5  rDev +25.7%

Very clovey Hefeweizen, nice carbonation with a cloudy appearance as tried at the Erdinger Brewery. Very smooth mouthfeel with a great drinkablity, taste is refreshing and it is a classic German Wheat. Worth seeking out if possible. Belgian lace is evident dwon to the finish.

4.35/5  rDev +25.7%

04/03/09- Purchased at Bevmo in San Mateo, CA.

Presentation- 16.9oz bottle with a best by date on the back label. Poured into my Ayinger weizen glass.

Appearance- Golden-honey colored pour. Full three fingered head on a slow pour. Nice 1/4 inch creamy head remains throughout the entire beer. Leaves some light spotty lace.

Smell- Light nose, but all the traditional scents of bubble gum, clove and banana. Fresh wheat as well.

Taste- Not real flavor sticks out, but all the flavors combine well and taste very fresh. A light taste of honey swirls around the banana and clove flavors. A bit of bubble gum comes through in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel- Quite smooth with a medium carbonation level. Has a very honey like smoothness. Light sugary bubble gum aftertaste.

Drinkability- Very nice and quality texture and flavor-wise brew. Might be my favorite right up by Paulaner.

4.35/5  rDev +25.7%

I'm not a big fan of Hefeweizen, but this one was smooth, not over powering taste and no after taste. I purchased the Erdinger Hefe-Weizen Dark, so the color was similar to a red Ale. Great Beer for watching baseball on the TV or just eating Brats! Definitely adding to the list for hanging with the bro's.

On to the next one!

4.33/5  rDev +25.1%

Erdinger Weissbier
Style: Hefeweizen, ABV: 5.30 %
10/7/09 @ Schnitzel Haus during Ofest season
draft to a mug? "unique" serving style for sure.

FYI: As I read other reviews, it seems like I may have had an entirely different brew. I do know this was a fresh keg, but did not see the tap myself. I am confident of my description/review in the event I need to change the review to another Erdinger offering. I will double check the tap next time to QA my review...

4.5/4/4.5/4/4.5

APPERANCE Served with an excellent pillowing head, solid foamy cap lasted the entire beer with respectable lace and retention. Golden honey in color with a hint of orange hues.
SMELL included wheat malt, mild banana and bubble gum. Aromas smelled very good, but were just more subtle than the average hefe.
TASTE followed smell, a bit sweeter wheat profile than tartness as most other hefes offer. I dig the unique sweetness, maybe not best for the style though.
MOUTHFEEL - medium body, medium+ carbo for a hefe.
DRINKABILITY - This may not be the most spot on hefe according to style, but I found it a very deliscious twist on the style. it's a bit more sweet than most hefes, and a bit less bold in tart/aroma/taste catergories. It may be considered as a "gateway" hefe for those who may new to the style. I enjoyed it so much I would have given it a 5, since it's not spot on to the style, but a fine brew IMHO. and I have had a good amount of wheat brews....

4.32/5  rDev +24.9%

Should start with direct from Europe via a friend, not imported:

A) Vibrant orange and yellow mix. Good but not super thick head that retains alright. On the cloudy side. Very exciting in its proper glass

B) M- Sweet with a roast/caramel smell H - almost citrusy

Mouthfeel) certainly thick with an almost course, chewy texture (for a Hefe)

D) very drinkable, could have many

Overally it's a good Hefe. Better than the imported one, but not by much. There are better Weissbiers out there for the price.

Erdinger Weissbier from Erdinger Weissbräu