Erdinger Weissbier Pikantus | Erdinger Weissbräu

erdinger.de

Style: Weizenbock

Added by Bierman9 on 01-28-2002

4.05/5  rDev +5.2%

Shared with expatsteve over the Wisconsin-Penn State game.

Pour: dank, murky brown, nearly opaque under a few fingers of khaki foam that last for the entire pour with a bit of lacing.

Nose: earthy bock malts, dark fruits, lemony yeast, wheat funk.

Taste: earthy bock malts dominate, caramel grain notes, vinuous grape, light citrusy finish.

Feel: light and velvety, easy on the mouth.

Drinkability/Overall: not the most complex weizenbock I've ever had, but certainly the most drinkable. Goes well with pre-Noon college football Saturday drinking on a chilly Madison morning.

3.94/5  rDev +2.3%

3.5/5  rDev -9.1%

3.71/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

I've had this beer a month ago and I didn't wrote down anything at all. But for what I can recall, this beer was aesthetically beautiful, both the body, the foam and the carbonation were nice. Yet, and even though I'm a huge fan of spicy stuff, I think that this kind of spice doesn't go well at all with any kind of beer. The best thing I can recall from that night was that I couldn't even end this beer because of how strong was the presence of the spice - not that is was strong, but only that the it was too much quantity for the given amount of beer. Yet, I don't find it a bad beer but I'll give it another try in the future.

4.5/5  rDev +16.9%

4.04/5  rDev +4.9%

16.9oz bottle, Boulevard tulip, "10-2011" on the back label.

Ah, it's lovely to have new (to me) Weizenbock in my glass. This one moves from the darkest stone amber shades of yellowed brown to opaque red-brown and the head is immense. It's color is old book page and, composed of larger bubbles, it crackles audibly as it desists to a cap.

Moderately sweet nose with vivid date and prune aromas. Fruit and caramelized sugar aromas balance with a rough around the edges quality; not alcohol, not wholly wheat grain.

In flavor Pikantus is less refined; alcohol is a bitter bailiff accompanied by scraping carbonation. The plump fruit recedes, a woody hop comes in, and distinct wheat graininess hangs about. Weizen yeast is clearly in play, being phenolic.

As I said, the carbonation is immense on the pour and in the mouth, though it manifests itself not in the more normal fizzy way, but with a club soda like cleansing, exploding CO2. Unusual and not unpleasant, but seemingly not suited to allowing all the flavors to blossom.

Weizenbock is a diverse style and I like that a lot; something I think many BAs appreciate very much is variety. This one is darker but not too sweet, with a rich nose. I would like to see even more Weizenbocks around me.

2.75/5  rDev -28.6%

4.35/5  rDev +13%

I was quite surprised by how excellent a beer this was. It definitely is along the lines of Aventinus, but with a different mouthfeel, and more raisins and less bananas.

Pretty brown brew not hazy. Almost non-existent head. Aroma is faint, maybe a little bit of malt.

The flavor is stunning. I can taste raisins, cloves and a fair bit of malt that is well-balanced with some perfect tang. There's also some nice alcoholic warmth.

Overall, I like this beer a lot. I will be drinking it more in the future. I'm surprised that I didn't recall it being so good from past drinkings.

3.88/5  rDev +0.8%

Poured from 22oz bottle into Tulip.

A. Poured giant 4 finger head. Great retention. Moderate lacing. Color is dark brown.

S. Yeast, clove, banana, caramel, some dark fruit.

T. Caramel, sweet, dark fruit, yeast, raisins. Has a bit of banana and clove flavor. Nice mix of caramel sweetness with dark fruit flavors.

M. Medium/full bodied. Lingering sweetness. Medium carbonation.

O. Interesting beer. Nice dark fruit flavor. Almost belgianesque. Makes me question whether or not a lot of the weizenbocks have been true to style. Very easy drinking beer.

3.85/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.25/5  rDev +10.4%

It pours a straight brown with a bit white head that sticks around, leaving lace from top to bottom. The smell is a nice blend of spiciness, caramel/toffee, and a bit of ripe fruit. The complexity carries over to the flavor with all of the previously mentioned characteristics becoming even more pronounced, especially when the beer has warmed just a bit. A nice yeast bite is balanced by the smooth wheat attributes. The mouthfeel is creamy, making for a very nice overall drinking experience. Weizenbocks are quickly becoming one of my favorite styles.

4.47/5  rDev +16.1%

16.9 ounce (500ml) bottle. Pour yields an enormous rocky light tan head over an opaque dark mahogany-coffee body. Gorgeous beer.

Smell is intense caramel malt over dark fruits: raisins, dates, figs. Mmmmm. What a delectable aroma. Warming, a little boozy, and sweetly-malted malty and chocolatey.

Taste follows aroma, with some notable additions: roasted bitterness is there, though mild; peppery spiceyness; a hint of banana and bubblegum. I like it. I like it a lot.

Nice rich mouthfeel: smooth, creamy, with nice carbonation.

Very easy to drink.

I guess my review is a bit of an out-lier here, beyond the first standard deviation (and almost outside the second!), but I love malt, I love Weizenbier, and I love Bocks. This baby is a very good example of all that I love in beer. Highly recommended.

4.1/5  rDev +6.5%

Pours a cloudy chocolate with a fluffy tan head that left some lacework.

Aroma is malty, some floral notes, damp earth and yeast.

Taste is wheat malt, some fruitiness, apples, pears and yeast with a short finish. Well balanced. There is some alcohol noticeable as the taste fades.

A medium bodied brew with persistent fine carbonation and a slick tounge feel.

Very drinkable

3.85/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

2.88/5  rDev -25.2%

Appearance - Poured a dark brown/black; similar to coca cola. Including the short-lived, tan head. No lacing. Has deep ruby highlights when held up to the light.

Smell is very subdued. A hint of caramel and malt sweetness. Not much else.

Taste - Not bad, not great. Taste like a wheaty bock (gee, what a surprise.). As the beer warms up these flavors became more pronounced. An odd, papery, astringent taste at the back end.

Mouthfeel - Medium body. Quite dry. Highly carbonated start.

Drinkability - Not great, but acceptable. May change my mind as it warms. Was served quite cold.

Edit: Al-right, it improved as it warmed, so I'm bumping the smell and taste scores.

3.7/5  rDev -3.9%

This pours a dark brown colour bordering on black. It has a large loosely packed head which drops to leave little lacing.

Dried fruits dominate the nose with a touch of alcohol warmth. Perhaps a bit of banana in there.

Sweetness on the palate is quite pronounced. This reinforces the dried fruit characteristics. A slight yeastiness.

A creamy mouthfeel.

The balance between alcohol and flavour is pretty good. Not normally a fan of this style but I don't mind this one.

3.27/5  rDev -15.1%

16.9 oz. bottle dated 12-07
Pours slightly hazy brown with bright reddish highlights. 1 inch loose and course head falls away quickly to virtually no head at all.
Smells of yeast, sweet malt, a little spice.
Taste - Wheat, malt, some fruit, caramel, chocolate. A little clove flavor is present. Dry finish which also has some alcohol on it. Flavors are more mellow than I'm used to from Weizenbocks.
M/F Medium body. Carbonation is very lively. Bubbles are course which makes the beer less than smooth as well as gassy.
It's OK though the carbonation makes it less enjoyable. The flavors are rather nice though subtle. Will probably stick with Vitus and Aventinus as my favs.

The last time I had this I was in Germany, looked forward to trying it again and reviewing for the first time.

Very dark ruby red and brownish in color. Caramel, plum, burnt sugar came through in the nose. Taste was much of the same, but more noticeable. Hints of banana and clove hidden in there as well. High carbonation with a full body to back it up. Not available near me, but a solid choice when I have the chance.

3.75/5  rDev -2.6%

Appearance: Darker brown with a fluffy tan head, good retention on it. This looks good. I was unsure of how this one would actually look (The last weizenbock I sampled was Vitus which looked like a hefeweizen)

Aroma: Wheat, raisins, malts predominantly. Typical other weizen notes such as banana, some spices, etc.

Taste: Fruity with some wheat. The raisins dominate the flavor in this one. Oriented very much towards darker fruits. Sweet as well. Mild on the spices, very little alcohol taste, considering the 7.3% this thing has. Minimal bitterness as well.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied and goes down well. Rather smooth going down.

Drinkability: Well, you wouldn't know this thing is over 7%. Its pretty good for this, in the sense that you can have a couple, even though it'd probably hit you suddenly.

Overall good for the style, and good for anything. The Vitus is something I enjoy more, but I'm still trying more of these types. For what its worth, this is the best Erdinger I've had, personally (I thought their hefe was decent, and their kristal wasn't bad..but was nothing in comparison to the Weihenstephaners)

3.75/5  rDev -2.6%

3.96/5  rDev +2.9%

3.68/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Rich amber color with good clarity. Pours a big, healthy head with good retention.

Aroma is candy malt sweet with a bit of fruitcake. No hop, very clean.

Flavor has subtle malt sweetness, and subdued bubblegum fruity flavor. Finishes very slightly sweet and very clean.

Medium full body and high carbonation. Minimal alcohol warming. The carbonation bordered on unpleasant.

A very clean beer, but a bit bland. Lacks the hefeweizen yeast character, and really looks/tastes something like a bland doppelbock.

4.2/5  rDev +9.1%

A- Two finger head faded and fizzled atop a dark reddish brown body.

S- Sweet malts followed by banana and light clove.

T- Light pleasant esters on the take with full bodied malt sweetness on the finish.

M- Full bodied yet light even to be refreshing.

D- Good thing its a full half liter bottle.

My first of this style, and I like it alot. See, you try something new and you get rewarded.

Erdinger Weissbier Pikantus from Erdinger Weissbräu