Alamo Golden Ale

Alamo Golden AleAlamo Golden Ale
Notes:
Reviews: 72 | Ratings: 227 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
3.41/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Just recently discovered brews by Alamo Beer Company recently. I was at my local Total Wine liquor store last week and I picked up a can of the Original Golden Ale to try out. Drank that out of a can and thought it was pretty good so the following week I picked up the 6-pack.

4.7% ABV. Poured into a 16oz. pint glass. Very nice golden color to it. Much better than most AAL's and other craft golden ale's I've had. Had a robust bread-like smell to it; didn't smell watered down or mass produced. This golden ale has a nice crips taste to it and comes off more as a pilsner. Overall, I don't think you could go wrong this. Very drinkable.

3.35/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Had it in a bottle during a conference reception. Pretty standard for the type. Not bad, not great, but went well with the finger food. Refreshing and just a bit sweet. It served its purpose.

3.22/5  rDev -3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

On tap. Golden color with thin white head. Smells of straw. Light feel. Grainy taste with some spicy hops. Gave this one a try to say that I've had Alamo's flagship beer, but there isn't much to recommend it by. Typical for the style, though, most blonde ales I've had have been pretty blah.

3.78/5  rDev +13.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

i really liked this one, and in fact most of the beers i had from these guys while i was in texas last week. this is a crisp and clean example of the style, light but with enough body to keep it satisfying, great carbonation, and a nice easy outdoor drinker that really hit the spot with some spicy mexican food. i can see the appeal here. lots and lots of light blondes, goldens, and pale lagers in texas, the climate sort of mandates that, but this one stood out from most of the rest of them that i had there as superior. its so clean, has the lightest classic hop finish to it, and is very professionally assembled. the fermentation is tidy, the recipe is a winner, and its drinkable without being too dumbed down to be flavorful. i would choose this over most of its peers brewed locally to be honest, and it ended up being one of my favorite alamo beers we had. the funny thing through, is that the label says something like "brewed with courage" or something like that, which, i mean, come on, how much courage does it take to make a basic american blonde ale? i would venture very little, but hey, at least they executed it well. i could drink a dozed of these just about anytime...

2.82/5  rDev -15.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Bottle nabbed at a Trader Joe's for $1.42 USD. 12 fl oz. Brown glass. Silver and black pry-off crown cap.

4.70% ABV. "Golden ale." "American blonde ale."

APPEARANCE: Pours an off-white head atop a clear pale copper body. Obviously filtered. Clear. Head retention is good - ~7 minutes.

AROMA: Floral, a little grainy, a biteen doughy. Cracked grain. Grains of paradise. Cooked corn.

Suggests a beer that's dry, actually. Earthy yeast characteristics are evident. Rosemary.

Not your typical blond ale aroma.

Aromatic intensity is average.

TASTE: Matches the aroma.

TEXTURE: Smooth, wet, well albeit highly carbonated, medium-bodied, somewhat crisp, and a bit refreshing.

Not oily, gushed, hot, boozy, astringent, harsh, rough, or scratchy.

OVERALL: Drinkable fare with a bit of subtlety. I could do without the corny characteristics, and I doubt I'd buy it again, but it's not bad for the price and I'll enjoy finishing the bottle I bought. Leaves a lot to be desired, but I've had worse.

C / AVERAGE

2.37/5  rDev -28.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

I've read enough beer reviews to know that everyone can go as far as he/she wants to picking things apart. The beer looks nice with a light, lacy head. The smell didn't offer me much, honestly, but as an ale perhaps it shouldn't overpower. Mouthfeel was a bit thin, almost watery. As a native Texan I had high hopes for this one as I know they fought hard for the logo. But the beer doesn't meet the hype. Remarkably forgettable. Decent effort at the micro brewery within the Alamo city but there are many, MANY better beers available. A sad statement on commercialism, really. I'm not even sure they make this beer at the brewery. Word on the street is it's actually made by Real Ale????

3.2/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 2 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

This is a very drinkable beer. Yellow more than golden in color. Smells of fresh white bread. Taste and mouth if a pilsner more than a lager. My first but surely not my last.

3.88/5  rDev +16.9%

I really like this beer. Been drinking it since about '05. It's a consistent go to. Not sure about "lacing" or any of that stuff. Just a good drinkable beer with flavor. Two things I don't care for: (1) new packaging - I liked the gold and black, made it easy to find; (2) I think they tinkered with the recipe or the brewing process - tastes a little more yeasty and unfiltered than it used to.

3.02/5  rDev -9%

This was an ok beer, but not memorable in any way. It would be a good tailgating beer to have with some bbq or nachos, but I wouldn't seek this out again. It's one of those beers I would drink if it's all a place had, but would never buy a bottle again.

I was generous in my assessment, there was no option for 0. Why even bother putting this mess in a bottle? Simply gross and "buttery" as another reviewer pointed out. Yuck.

1.55/5  rDev -53.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.75

Total diacetyl bomb. Tasted like licking the artificial popcorn butter you get at the movies off the bottom of the tub.

On the positive side, the new packaging looks nice.

3.93/5  rDev +18.4%

4/1...pours clear gold see through, light white foam. Bright floral nose, sweet, fresh. Clean malty taste, light pils taste, small bitter to finish. Very nice.

3.34/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

This one pours a very clear and lite golden color. The head is shallow and short lived. There is no lacing down the glass.

The nose is crisp and moderate hops with some grassy notes and hints of bread. not much complexity here.

The taste is also average and dry with some earthy notes and a moderate hoppiness.

The moutfeel is a tad watery for my taste.

Overall not a great nor a bad beer. Just an average beer. I would say slightly better than Stella Artois.

Clear copper pour with lots of carbonation and a white one-finger head. Aroma of wheat and straw. Light grainy taste with biscuit and bread flavors standing out. Also has a little bit of light lemon. Finishes dry and crisp.

3.35/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Alamo Golden Ale has a yellow colour and slight lime tint at angles into the light. Though transparent, its complexion is considerably bleary (a bit strange given such a brightly polished tone). It would look infinitely better if it had any head at all.

The aroma gives me the impression this beer will taste better than it smells. There's nothing "off" about this bouquet - it has nice elements of sweet cereal grain and straw - it simply just isn't very aromatic. But you can tell good quality ingredients have been used.

The malt is of substantial quality and quantity to produce a pleasant flavour of lightly-toasted, rustic farmhouse-style white bread. It tastes bakery fresh. I could spread some butter over this and call it a meal. There's no bitterness, but there is a tinge of earthiness in the finish.

The state motto may be "remember the Alamo" but this beer which has the same slogan leaves little to remember it by. A very conventional blonde ale, it is much cleaner tasting and provides more malt than a mainstream lager, but is similar in most respects to popular commercial brands.

Alamo Golden Ale suffices as is, but a few more handfuls of C-hops would provide it with more of the "piercingly independent spirit" it boasts of. It is a simple ale well-suited to the hot Texas climate. To be sure, however, the Lone Star state has enough new craft breweries that residents should probably forget about the Alamo and move to greener pastures.

3.32/5  rDev 0%
look: 1.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a pale, clear yellow color with a very small carbonated head that quickly dissipates. There is no head retention nor lacing. Aroma of pale malts, grains, slightly bready and very, very mild grassy hops. Very grainy taste, pale malts, slight grassy hop. No astringency. A very tad bit buttery. Light bodied and very carbonated. Not too bad when you get to the taste. Would definite drink over any adjunct lager but little else.

3.04/5  rDev -8.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Attractive in the glass with a decent head on the golden brew. Adequately spritzy and while light bodied, it does have a little malty mouthfeel. More of a Kolsch sensation, with a lemony hint. Nothing much of an aroma. Maybe a touch of crackers for flavor. Faintly sourish, though not unpleasantly so. Not much of any bitterness to describe. I let this warm up quite a bit, and it doesn't help much.

Not much to stir the imagination here. I guess I have to admit this is quite drinkable, but it's no better than the average Blonde. From the 12 oz bottle bought at Texas Wine Cellars in Fredericksburg, TX.

3.42/5  rDev +3%

A- pale golden with clean white head, head retention pretty good for the style

S- light grainy sweetness balanced with grassy hop, pretty standard

T- lightly sweet from grain, maintains a nice finish. Grass and some spice from hops. Taste mimics smell strongly.

M- body is the most pleasant feature of the beer, flavor sticks to sides and back of tongue but still maintains a crisp finish

Overall a nice beer to drink outside on a nice warm day, I'd drink a couple.

3.57/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Just finished a couple of these sitting on the Riverwalk in San Antonio. I have to admit, I would not normally rate a beer I drank out of a bottle, but I liked this one enough to come here and give it some props!

Color: have say golden like the label says. Nice label though!

Aroma: couldn't get a great nose but pleasant enough. Light hops and bit of grainy malt.

Flavor: OK, can comment here. Very decent. At first, it has a bit of a light lager start, but as I continued and had another, began noticing some nice light grassy hops combining nicely with the malt grain bill.

Light mouthfeel and very easy to drink. Very solid overall and could definitely see this being a regular in my fridge if available to me.

3.57/5  rDev +7.5%

This was brought over during my Christmas Eve dinner party. Looks like about 3 were left from the six pack. Lucky me!

Poured into my Molly's on the Market pint glass...a fairly big head that subsided farily quickly...a yellow straw color and just a few bits of lace sticking to the glass

I liked the scent. Quite fresh...a lightly nutty sweet malt with just a touch of grassy hops.

Taste followed scent. Easy drinking malt forward ale, balanced with some grassy hops. Not overly sweet at all. Almost drinks more like a lager than an ale. Very easy drinking, but the high carbonation is a bit of a distraction.

Not a bad beer for Alamo. It's weird, the label says this is a Real Ale beer...possibly Alamo is an off shoot? Would like to see more outta these guys...always willing to give the Texas breweries my business.

3.7/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

One finger head with some retention and ok lacing topped this golden, pretty much clear beer. Rising bubbles steadily make their way up the sides of my glass.

Aroma is something along the lines of an adjunct lager, but with more character. A light hoppiness balances out a general grainy and light maltiness.

Taste was surprisingly good. Sweet malts come through first, along with a nice grainy and slightly grassy flavor. The hops are noticeable and well done. There's a very nice balance to this beer.

Body is very light and effervescent, easy to drink, well carbonated, with a sweet finish.

My biggest issue is that a beer this easy to drink should be canned so you can take it to the lake and on your fishin' boat. It's pretty tasty stuff. I just made a blonde ale that I am hoping comes out this light and tasty and easy to drink.

3.92/5  rDev +18.1%

Temperature Note: I had a six-pack of this and my first bottle was served fairly cold, and that's how this beer left me: Cold. It was extremely unsatisfying and underwhelming. But, as I let it warm up, I became increasingly whelmed. I found the “sweet spot” to be around 60-64 degrees F. In that temperature range the flavors came into balance for me and I really enjoyed it, making it one of the best beers I’ve had in months. Once the temperature went over 65/66 degrees, it attained a bitterness that I don’t attribute entirely to the hops. I have a feeling that IPA lovers will enjoy this ale at a warmer temperature than I did, so I suggest you let it warm up a bit.

All my comments below are based on the beer when it’s in the “sweet spot” temperature range. If you drink it cold you will get very different results (such as no head and no aroma).

By the way: There is no ABV on the bottle or Web site, so I emailed the creator and he tells me that it has an ABV of 5.1%. I have submitted that info as a change, along with a note about how this is brewed by San Antonio’s Alamo Beer Company, but is currently distributed by the Real Ale Brewing Co. of Blanco, Texas.

---

Appearance: Cloudy yellow with a medium/heavy carbonation. The head was white but small and varied (I got anywhere between 1/2- to 2-fingers of cottony white head depending on how I poured it). Although I did get some lace after an aggressive pour, it did fade very quickly.

Aroma: Simple, yeasty, clear. I didn't get any hops, but there was a faintly sweet smell.

Taste: It’s hard for me to pick the gym class hero in this bottle, but the malt and hops played well together when it warmed up. I found there to be faint aromatics in the hops and a pleasing malt flavor. It was all very understated but enjoyable.

Mouthfeel: This is where this ale really excels. The flavors stay with you after several minutes in a way that you usually only get from really thick dark beers. This was a very pleasant surprise and one of the reasons I really like this golden ale.

Overall Impression: As I said above, do NOT drink this “ice cold” or you will be sorely disappointed. This needs to warm up a bit to fully come alive and deliver to you a very solid golden ale that may not offer you a lot of surprises, it definitely gets the job done and does it well.

3.78/5  rDev +13.9%

Received a 12 FLUID OZ. (355 ML) bottle of this from Llyb in a trade. Poured from the Bright Orange/Maroon bordered & labeled bottle w/ the Alamo Canons and Texas Star into a 16oz Pint Glass. Has BEST IF CONSUMED BY THIS DATE: 7.13.12 on the back on the bottle.

Aroma- Very sweet but well balanced with malt and light hops. Good for the style.

Appearance- Pours a 1 finger head that has weak retention. Has a semi-clear bright golden colored body and leaves good lacing behind.

Flavor- Sweet and subtle at the same time. Malts hit with sweetness and a bit toasty. Wheat follows up with this flavor and takes over. Sweet finish and almost no hop flavor or any bitterness at the finish.

Mouthfeel- Light-Medium Bodied, High Carbonation, Malty, Sweet, and finishes easy overall.

Overall Impression- A very pleasant Golden ale that still had character and a nice taste to keep this above average. Thanks for the share Laura!

2.55/5  rDev -23.2%

I have seen this bottle several times before buying one as a part of a mix and match your own sixpack. THis was the only of the six that was not an IPA and that was because coming from San Antonio, I have an affinity for the Alamo and Texas in general (five of the six were Texas brews). I struggled to figure out where in the world this beer came from. THe label indicated it is a product of Real Ale Brewing in Blanco, bu the website is a completely different company, so obviously Real Ale must be contract brewing for them while they build up the brand. I am a huge Real Ale fan and consider Fireman's Four (SMaSH brew or not) the best lawnmower beer around. Since I am firmly in camp with Real Ale I cannot falt their technique and must fault the recipe for what turned out to be a dissapointing experience. The brew is crystal clear, and pours with a slight head if agitated which leaves light lacing, but the hop profile is almost non-existant and reminded me of a BMC rather than blond ale (like Fireman's Four). THe malt is strangely out in front and does not seem well balanced with any bittering hops I could distinguish. I prefer a blond ale with a light malt body that is subtle and there mostly to support about 25 IBUs, but this seems closer to 5 or 6.

3.27/5  rDev -1.5%

The Alamo Golden Ale - Almost thought this was a shiner at first!

Appearance - This beer a bit darker than your usual brew but mostly yellow to brown

Smell - A nutty (peanut) scent that is almost a bit off from that. It was good but not enough there to fully satisfy

Taste - A Shiner (light) but with more of the peanut and barley flavors in there. I wish there was some more to this and more umph to it (technical word)

Mouthfeel - This is where this beer excels, the taste sticks with you for a good several minutes leaving a satisfied taste

Overall - an okay drinker

Alamo Golden Ale from Alamo Beer Co.
Beer rating: 76 out of 100 with 227 ratings