Fuller's London Porter | Fuller Smith & Turner PLC

Fuller Smith & Turner PLC
England, United Kingdom
fullers.co.uk

Style: English Porter

Fuller's London Porter is an award-winning example of this historic English style; smooth and creamy with delicious chocolate and coffee flavors derived from the roasted malt.

The griffin Brewery is Chiswick, London, has brewing fine ales since 1654.

The Fuller, Smith & Turner partnership dating back to 1845, brews an excellent range of award-winning beers, many of which are available in the U.S. including London Pride pale ale and the Old's original ESB.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 06-20-2001

Ratings: 2,653 |  Reviews: 1,234

4.75/5  rDev +12.8%

4.02/5  rDev -4.5%

A- Poured from 12 oz bottle into pint glass. Pours a very dark mohagany that is almost black. 1 finger tan head that's quite fluffy. It quickly dissipates, but I won't knock it too much since a smaller layer of foam continues to linger throughout the drink. Fantastic sticky lacing.

S- Some intense roasted notes. Chocolate, coffee bean, mocha, molasis, english/crystal malts, and a touch of smoke.

T- A lot going on here. Nicely follows the headway the nose made. Sweet up front with the coffee and chocolate. A great roasted, warm finish with just a touch of bitterness from the hops to create the right amount of balance for the style. Layers of flavor.

M- Creamy, smooth, and drinkable. A little wet as it covers the tounge, but generates a dry finish. Everything you want here.

O- Another classic by Fullers. One of my favorite porters. So complex and so delicious. A brew that is tough to set the glass down. I felt like I just poured it, started making notes on the review, and before i knew it, it was all gone. Now I'm a little sad that I don't have another.

4.4/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.25

I feel that the beer has the same appearance, smell, and taste as previouse reviews. I am writing this to note that the roasted hops come on strong and one would expect a powerful taste, but this beer is suprisingly light an complex given its rich and dark smell and appearance.

3.75/5  rDev -10.9%

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours an almost opaque deep brown with ruby highlights and a frothy half inch khaki head that dissipates moderately, leaving sheets of lacing.

Chocolate and toasted malt are evident as soon as the bottle is opened. Rich roasted malt is not at all charred, giving a coffee-like impression. Caramel nuttiness and hints of dark fruit add complexity.

Chocolate and a hint of roast open the flavor profile, initially dominating the slightly buttery, toasted, nutty caramel malt backbone. The finish is slightly dry. Malt character is very rich, with hints of dark cherries and coffee complementing the slightly sweet malt body.

Body is a touch full, with moderate carbonation.

Excellent beer. Not at all acrid, plenty of chocolate, not overly sweet. Very well balanced.

4.5/5  rDev +6.9%

4.28/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

As I sit in the loft of a favorite London pub, I swear the setting has nothing to do with the fact that I've happened upon one of my favorite beers. OK, very little to do with it....

Either way, this beer is simply a winner all around.

A quick review follows (pecked out on PDA, to commemorate a new friend):

A: Raisin colored, translucent. Think Pepsi after ice starts to melt. Quarter-inch head remains for a good little while, giving way to some nice lacing.

S: Very pleasant, mild. Choco-coffee, but yet earthy/grassy. Hints of red berries.

T: Very easy, very drinkable (dangerously drinkable, in fact!). Coffee aftertaste (coffee ice cream, to be precise).

M: Excellent balance. Perhaps I'm just off here, but it seemed wet on the tongue but dry on the finish. Near perfect. A bit higher carbonation than I'd expect and not "Guinness velvety smooth" -- which isn't a knock, but a point of comparison (and a note that the taste and aroma are silkier than mouthfeel).

O: A great new staple. Recognizing that the following is relative to taste preferences, the universe of beers you've tried, and how one defines a "macro-brew," this is [by far] the best macro-brew dark beer / porter / stout that I've had to date -- with the exception of Samuel Smith's very fine pours. Very enjoyable, great drinkability. For whatever it's worth, it also kicks more than 5.4% would suggest.

Repeat? Absolutely. It will rival Sam Smith, nudge Guinness to the back of the 'fridge, and all but extinguish future purchase of Murphy's when stocking good macro-brew stouts/porters for gatherings. {Two disclaimers: I'm not seeking to provoke debate by suggesting porters and stouts are interchangeable; I'm only confessing that porters & stouts are my favorite beers and the only types of beer regularly stocked in my refrigerator. I'm also not suggesting London Porter is as fun or complex or even as tasty as some other craft stouts/porters I've enjoyed/reviewed; but for the beers brewed by a seemingly large scale brewer (and, heck, for ANY brewer anywhere), this is VERY tough to beat!!}.

Where Best Enjoyed? I suspect anywhere, anytime. That said, I can guarantee it will be wildly enjoyed if any / all of the following are true: (a) you're in a pub on the fringe of Covent Garden with friends and family; (b) you're just digging in to a piping hot Sunday roast; and/or (c) it's one of those piercingly cold English days outside and yet you're sitting near a fireplace with no place to be anytime soon.

Two Words: London Perfect

1.5/5  rDev -64.4%

4.5/5  rDev +6.9%

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

From the bottle.

Appearance: Quintessential porter. Deep dark black. Perfectly fluffy tan head.

Nose: Chocolate and smoke. Burnt toast. Creamy vanilla.

Taste: Restrained doses of chocolate and charcoal. Super balanced and drinkable. There's a wisp of smoke over everything and an earthiness keeping it from being overly sweet.

Mouthfeel: Light but creamy. Endlessly drinkable.

Overall: The shining example of a quaffable porter. Packed full of earthy flavors with just enough sweetness to keep you coming back for more.

3.5/5  rDev -16.9%

3.67/5  rDev -12.8%

This is a great porter. Pretty much what you would expect. My only concern is that this is a little thin, especially in comparison to the Kernel and a number of other exceptional porters I've had lately. That said, I would certainly have this again, and could even see myself having a session of it if it were on tap.

Overall, certainly worth a go, but not in the same league as the Kernel.

3.5/5  rDev -16.9%

3.75/5  rDev -10.9%

4.74/5  rDev +12.6%

The bottle on this beer is great. Not only is it an attractive label, but homebrewers can reuse it to showcase their beers as well.

It pours a very dark brown/black that is almost opaque, but does allow light through highlighting some deep reds. It's not hazy but clear as you can tell by the bottom of the pint glass in my picture. The head is minimal and stays as a tan/brown ring around the glass mostly and has a decent dispersed polka-dot pattern that is pretty minimal.

I served this beer to myself too cold, which means that I am going to have to drink it slower that I desire so I can experience more of the aromas. I was first struck with roasted coffee and chocolate. I feel like dipping it in my fish tank water to heat it up. There are some notes of vanilla, caramel sweetness and some bread along for the ride. As I drink it and it warms up, I will make note of any other aromas if they occur.

The flavour is pretty much the same as the aroma. Creamy sweet maltiness starts off on the tip of the tongue and works its way back. By time it reaches midway it is in full force and the bittering hops become palpable while tastes like coffee, chocolate and, most importantly, vanilla start to show through to the end making it truly very smooth and creamy. Hints of bread also dabble in the mix.

The mouthfeel is sensational. Smooth and creamy dominate the drink with a nice moderately full body. The bittering hops take you through to the end leaving a medium dry, wanting feeling on your palate begging for another sip. The carbonation, mildly moderate to really help with the creamy soothing feel of the beer.

Overall, I would have to say that this is TOTALLY world class! I'm going to have to give this high 4's in most of the categories and ultimately the same for the overall score.

To H.E. double hockeysticks with the big boy beers! Get out there and taste what really makes a beer like this a craft. It was crafted long ago and perfected over the years. There is ages of experience in this beer and you have to give it a try. If you hate dark beers, this is by no means a mild dark beer, but it is one of the best and you owe it to yourself to try it. I guarantee that in the least you will appreciate this beer as a quality beer. You may not like it, in which case I would deem you insane, BUT you will know what a good beer truly is. Life is too short to waste on watered down experiences, go full throttle! *enter rebel yell here*

4.75/5  rDev +12.8%