Fuller's London Pride | Fuller Smith & Turner PLC

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-01-2001

View: Beers
Ratings: 2,583 |  Reviews: 1,078
3.85/5  rDev -1.8%

Poured into a traditional Pint Glass from 500 ml can.

App--- copper/amber colour with a thin head off-white

S---- apple and malt, it smells lighltly

T--- not impressive but very well balanced, malty with a liitle touch of fruit and presence of hops too

M--- nice in mouth, medium/light body with medium carbonation

O--- easy easy to drink because its well balanced. Not a complex Pale Ale but good to be a standard at London pubs.

3.5/5  rDev -10.7%

3.6/5  rDev -8.2%

Appearance- Amber body with lots of bubbles clinging to the side of the pint glass with a very
thin head.

Smell- Smell of sherry and Xmas cake.

Taste- Toffee taste with the contrasting hops coming through at the end making this beer well balanced and refreshing.

Mouthfeel- Medium carbonation and quite creamy in the mouth.

Overall- This bottle of beer has been imported to N.Z from London so has travelled half way around the world and it may have lost some character in the journey but that is just speculation, having said that it is a very nice beer with lots of flavour I would definitely buy again.

Poured into a nonic pint glass from the bottle Best Before May 13.

4.17/5  rDev +6.4%

A-Pours a deep gold with a thick off-white head that slowly dissipates. There is some slight cascading, but no lacing.

S-malty, bready, toffee, butterscotch, and I also picked up a scent of green apples.

T-Malty with a nice bitter finish. Caramel and Toffee dominate the flavor to me with some butterscotch sneaking in as well. Its not as floral as I was expecting. This beer gets much better as it warms.

M-buttery, creamy, with a nice touch of carbonation. In some ways not as slick and full as I was expecting.

D-True session beer. You could drink this all day.

Overall, I was slightly disappointed with this beer. I expected a fuller more complex flavor and a slightly better mouthfeel. Maybe my expectations were too high, but I expected this to blow Bass Pale Ale away. While it is better than Bass, it just didn't seem to be worth paying that much extra to drink. At just over $13 including tax for a sixer I expected more. I doubt I will purchase this ever again in bottle form, but would like to try it on tap. All of that being said it is a good beer, just not as good as my high expectations had hoped it would be.

3.13/5  rDev -20.2%

A - light, see through amber with a soft, short, off white head that has good retention

S - very faint caramel

T - nusty, milky, caramel

M - medium bodied, well carbonated, a bit crisp

The milky notes were very off putting. The base beer is all caramel and very one-dimensional. This is rather disappointing, but it is low-abv and very sessionable. I won't be buying this again, though.

4.33/5  rDev +10.5%

not another 11.2 oz bottle . . . . and at 4.7% abv, i think i'm expecting a light beer.
pours with very little head, and what little there was relinquished itself to the orange-y, marmalade-y, ginger ale-looking liquid below it. some fizzy carbonation, but that dissipated also.
i'm sharing this bottle with a glass of Woodford Double Reserve bourbon and i believe i'm still getting a good sense of smell and taste from the glass. some malt in there with little hop and a little caramel. very light beer and, as someone else mentioned, would go great with a sandwich at lunchtime in a pub.
i did purchase this sixer specifically for the purpose of chasing the bourbon (it was a toss up between this and the guinness black lager- both very light abv) and i feel it accents the bourbon nicely. as a stand-alone brew, it stands by itself and on its own merit. a great tasting brew, although very light; but very nicely balanced and has definite purpose in life. cheers!

3.25/5  rDev -17.1%

2.71/5  rDev -30.9%

We just got back from London, and I didn't drink this beer while in the UK. However, we did see the brewery. We didn't do a tour, but saw it while driving from the airport to our hotel. It was neat, and Sheryl got a good picture of the building. It would make sense that we would drink a London Pride while in London… but we didn't. I had a TON of cider, though. I am becoming a cider guy, that's for sure. But since this is their most popular beer, I am excited to try it. Let's drink!

In the Glass: It looks like a pale ale in the glass. There are some things floating in the glass… not sure what that is, but a lot of sediment is sinking to the bottom. Hope that doesn't affect the flavor of the beer.

Nose: Not much aroma here. What is there is nothing more than a faint bitter aroma. Nothing to write home about.

Flavor: The flavor isn't that impressive, either. However, it is perfectly balanced. There isn't a lot of bitterness, and the hop character is very muted. When they say you should drink this with a London pub lunch… I totally get it. The bangers and mash would go perfectly with this beer. I wonder what this would taste like on cask. Nearly every beer in England was pull.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is basic. There isn't much going on, not much carbonation, and it's a pretty boring, yet very drinkable beer. We are drinking this ice cold, and I am sure that helps with the smoothness, but even when swishing it around in my mouth, the bubbles aren't obvious.

Aftertaste: The aftertaste is the best part about this beer. It's incredible, and sticks around for a long time. I am talking several minutes after you swallow. I can totally see why this is the most popular beer in the UK.

I am not sure I would order this… or if bars here even carry this. But the next time I am in the UK, you can bet I order some bangers and mash and a pint of London Pride. Bottoms up, people!

Fuller's London Pride - The bottle says: "Fuller's London Pride is an award-winning English classic premium beer, rich and smooth, with a good malty base and well-developed hop notes in the finish. The Griffin Brewery in Chiswick, London has been brewing fine beers since 1650. The Fuller, Smith & Turner partnership, dating back to 1845, brews an excellent range of award-winning beers, many of which are available in the USA, including London Pride premium and the world's original ESB. I hope you will enjoy trying all our fine beers."

4.25/5  rDev +8.4%

Aside from the low carbonation, it looks like a nice beer. Light amber body with a tiny head.

British malts and slick british hops come to mind. Its mild for sure, with just a hint of slick malt coming through. Slightly lemony and earthy.

Its malty for sure. Slight hint of grains, but I think of Marris Otter malt straight away. It just has that trademark slightly earthy yet slick British malt. It goes down so smooth and easy, with the ease of a German Helles or well a British Pale. Its mild, yet still flavorful enough.

It feels amazing. Full on British malt with a touch of earthy lemon.

4.5/5  rDev +14.8%

3.83/5  rDev -2.3%

On-tap served in a Fuller’s London Pride pint glass at White Beer’D, Bangkok.

A:
Got a clear copper brown amber beer with thick off-white foamy head with great retention, the head stably endures until the end of tasting along with nice lacing.

S:
Variety of fruit predominates in the smell mainly reminding of cherry and apple. Sweet malt is also there with a note of caramel and biscuit.

T:
Load of fruit still exhibits through the taste buds reminiscent of cherry, citrus and apple. Sweet biscuity malt, caramel and some hop bitterness are leverage and enough to balance its fruity side.

M:
The body is medium, smooth mouthfeel with some good crispness and carbonation, rather dry finish.

O:
Good English ale with many varieties in term of complexity, aroma and flavor rather than typical others in the style.

3.5/5  rDev -10.7%