Fuller's London Pride | Fuller Smith & Turner PLC

Style: English Pale Ale

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-01-2001

Ratings: 2,575 |  Reviews: 1,077
3.72/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Appearance- Pours up a decent amount of head which seems to have okay retention. The head is almost pure cotton white (there is a slight hint of off-white) while the body is a pale to medium amber which appears pale in the light. Considerable lacing has already been left behind.

Nose- Starts off with a blend of citrus and caramel that starts to fade into floral/perfume notes. A hint of soapiness. Light notes of bubblegum as the caramel starts to fade. Some brown bread from the malts which works well with the orange from the citrus. Touches of honey which are reinforced by swirling.

Taste- Pretty reflective of the nose but lacks some of the complexity. A very balanced and well integrated flavor profile of citrus, brown bread, caramel and biscuit. There is a slight earthiness with some chalk on the finish. Very English hops. Slight pine and resin. May not have a ton of presence but does what English beers do well- offer subtle but always interesting flavor profiles for very sessionable beers. Doesn't show any of the bubblegum of the nose but only hints at the honey and floral notes. A slight bit of spice on the finish, some pepper and a dash of coriander. Pretty much a solid, good beer. It can seem a little thin if you don't pay attention. Also seems to be a very good representation of the style.

Mouthfeel- Between light and medium bodied with some syrup to the texture. Appropriate amount of carbonation which lets a little bit of the smoothness through.

Drinkability- Very sessionable and very easygoing. Four bucks for 500 mL is a bit much for regular purchase but I could see myself buying this beer again.

Overall- Solid representation of the style and a simply good beer. Definitely worth a try and a good introduction to English beers.

4.75/5  rDev +21.2%

4.13/5  rDev +5.4%

Appearance - It is a dark amber color, with a decent head.

Smell - It is mostly a piney / hoppy smell , with some malts.

Taste - It is a nice balance of hoppy bitterness with the sweet malts.

Mouthfeel - It is a medium-bodied beer, with good carbonation.

Overall - It is a pretty good English pale ale.

4.25/5  rDev +8.4%

4.4/5  rDev +12.2%

Poured from a 11.2oz bottle into a pint glass. Best by Oct. 19 2014

A- Pours a light amber with a nice clarity. Lots of tiny bubbles and a small slightly off-white head that dissipated to a ring quickly.

S- Nice mildly sweet malt, faint apple cider vinegar. I should be eating fish and chips with this.

T- Similar to nose, nice slight malty sweetness, some cracker malt. Faint apple/apple cider vinegar. Light English hops.

M- Crisp and light and very drinkable, could probably go for 5 pints of this stuff.

O- An amazing representation of an English bitter. Clean and refreshing. i do prefer Fuller's ESB to this one though.

3.75/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

330 ml bottle poured into a tumbler.

A- Clear golden body, leaning toward amber. Head retains okay. Agitation produces a nice off white pad for a short time.

S- Biscuit malts. Slight caramel in the aroma. Very mild smell of earthy hops.

T- Mild grain and toasted malt flavor. A dry earthy hop flavor comes through.

M- Light and smooth. A slightly dry finish, but nice feel.

O- Decent. Light, drinkable, like any solid English pub beer. Nothing spectacular in my mind, though.

3.25/5  rDev -17.1%

4.63/5  rDev +18.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

When I was first offered this ale at a Bar in Dubai I was a little skeptical. I felt that the bartender was being forced to sell the beer so they can get rid of it. However after she assured me it was new to them and she just wanted to promote it I gave it a shot. I was very surprised to say the least. First the bottle this ale comes in was nothing short of classy. It gave me the feeling that I was drinking at an old english pub. Then as the bartender filled my glass the color was the next thing that caught my attention. Its a beautiful reddish brown. Im not overly familiar with European beers so maybe most of their ales have this same color and reddish hue to it. Its exactly the kind of color I see on TV shows when they are depicting ales on your favorite sitcom. I really didnt believe that color truely existed until I saw this ale. After she filled my glass and I was done admiring the color I went for the first taste. I have been duped by beers before that come with excellent presentation but leave a less than desirable taste in my mouth. So I decided not to expect much. Boy was I wrong. This beer taste better than it looks. It is exactly the flavor I would look for in an Ale that looks this good. Not only that but the smell as I drank it was a stark contrast to the flavour of the beer. The smell is very sweet. It almost reminds of a camarel covered chocolate. The taste while bitter is very smooth on the pallete. Overall I would say this beer is very well balanced. It is now one of my favorites and should be on everyones list to try.
Cheers!