Fuller's 1845 | Fuller Smith & Turner PLC

Added by kbub6f on 09-16-2000

4.1

Reviews: 694 | Ratings: 1,096
3.02/5  rDev -26.3%

A- Bright amber/copper. Expansive beige foam.

S- I was not impressed by the faint notes of minerals, wet grains, and damp earth. With great coaxing, muted smells of dark fruits, raisin, fig. Too much filtration stripping the life out of the aromas here?

T- Straightforward malt upfront, finishes with dry, astringent hop bitterness.

M, D- A passable ale with a touch of good simple flavor, but lacking structure and complexity.

3.07/5  rDev -25.1%

Slight haze, very light brown in color, good lace and retention. Doesn't exactly look appetizing, looks like someone let a turd float in the bowl for a day. You know, that color. Didn't pick up aroma.

Can't figure out from the taste what makes this a strong ale. Tastes like a brown ale (and looks). All malt forward, smooth, bitterness subdued, tea, wood and caramel flavors, lacking hop mouthfeel or alcohol. I don't taste the fruit aspect that some mention.

3.07/5  rDev -25.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

A - Pours deep amber/copper. Nice foamy, bubbly head.

S - dry hops and sour yeast , earthy undertones

T - dry hops and slight malts. warming alcohol taste. Slightly watery.

M - pretty carbonated and heavy feel. Tart. Hops have a nice finish.

D - not the highest drinkability due to it's heaviness and carbonation.

Thanks to slimchill for trading me this brew to try

3.08/5  rDev -24.9%

Rich dried fruits? Where? Purchased a fresh bottle at Whole Foods in Arlington, VA. Poured a deep brown with a nice head. Smell has a little bit of the afore mentioned fruits, but the taste is dry, bitter, and finishes like charcoal mixed with water. I'm a huge fan of the Fullers Vintage Ales and I've heard that those are based upon the 1845. Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe I got a bad bottle, but this beer was utterly undrinkable to me. The bitter dryness at the end made me yearn for something to clense my pallete. People seem to love this stuff though so take this with a grain of salt.

3.15/5  rDev -23.2%

A: Light a slightly red cola, a hair lighter than coke with a soda head, mild soda like carbonation.
S: Red ale, approaching the porter neighborhood, also somewhat sweet and syrupy, cola malt. Fairly strong smell, slight alcohol.
T: I guess good for this style but I'm not in love. Too sweet which throws it.
M: A tad dry and tart.
O: Mediocre. I don't get what everyone's raving over.

3.2/5  rDev -22%

I've read so many positive reviews of this, I have to give it another chance or two. I stand by my average scoring on this tasting:

Appearance - This beer pours copper colored with an offwhite, one finger head exhibiting moderate retention and moderate lacing.

Smell – The smells are focused on the malts it seems with spicy, honey, and caramelly scents.

Taste – This is a balanced ESB with plenty to savor. Tastes of caramel and hints of coffee mingle with the fruity hops. Some medicinal tones come out during the average-length, bitter finish.

Mouthfeel - The mouthfeel is chewy and medium-bodied.

Drinkability – The beer is fine, but nothing about it compels me to continue after one.

3.23/5  rDev -21.2%

Pours a nice dark orangish-red, nice creamy head with fantastic lacing. Smells of bold bready malt, some caramel and toffee, spicy hops. Tastes of slightly sweet bready malt, not very malty, nice bitterness at the end. Finishes mildly sweet with spicy hops. Creamy but slightly thin body, low carbonation.

An interesting beer, not sure why its considered a strong ale at 6.3%. That and i thought the taste was very underwhelming, i was expecting a much maltier beer. If i didn't know better, i would think this is just a normal bitter english ale. That said, its incredibly smooth and has good drinkability. Overall, a let down.

3.23/5  rDev -21.2%

The colour is reminiscent of a barley wine with a medium slightly cloudy amber and v=bright whhite head that dissipates quickly

The smell is very much like barley wine with sweet honey and herb barley notes dominating

The taste is a lot more bitter tahn anticipated with strongfloral hop character

Mouthfeel is medium body with lowish carbonation

Wont buy this one again unless there is nothing better around AND I m craving a beer - UNLIKELY

3.28/5  rDev -20%

Cloudy brown color. Slight head.

Aroma is mildly sweet. Grainy.

The taste is woody. Sweet malt blends nicely with those nice dry English hops. Crisp carbonation lends well to the flavor. I bit of grapefruit in the after taste.

A very well balanced, thirst quenching ale.

Fuller's always manages to please. This one is no exception.

3.3/5  rDev -19.5%

from a bomber (uk?) this beer pours a clear amber color with actively rising bubbles and a dense head of heavy foam. patchy, thin lacing left behind from fluffy dissolve. aroma here is smoky malt, some coffee and maple notes rounded out with a slight hoppy smell. taste is bitingly bitter with banana and coffee paying a visit to my mouth cavern. chocolate malt and cherry notes in the background. a bit too bitter for the sweet tastes going on here. a quality beer but confusing overall and somewhat unwelcomely overpowering.

3.3/5  rDev -19.5%

Pours a deep, ruby amber. Somewhat transparent. Big fluffy off-white head holds for some time. Some nice lacing.

Smells of sweet malts and biscuit. Some faint hints fig, fruit, and just a hint of citrus. Some sweet tea as well.

Taste is sweet malt, candied fruit, some hops, and a bit of alcohol. A malty, sweet tea aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is smooth, full bodied. Not much carbonation. A little too much alcohol for my taste.

I'm a little disappointed with this one. I'd probably like it more on tap.

3.31/5  rDev -19.3%

Poured into a nonic. Nice mahogany color with just a little haziness. Beige two finger head settles to a partial ring and leaves some thin lacing.

Toasty cookie-ish malt aroma with some dark fruits and spice. Kind of faint overall.

For a beer billed as a strong ale, there's really not that much strength in the flavor either. Fresh baked bread and a bit of toffee with a very herbal, tannic hop bitterness, reminiscent of English black tea.

Carbonation is a little high, body is medium. Finish is dry and encourages the next sip. Drinkable but kinda bland.

3.33/5  rDev -18.8%

500ml bottle with "best before" date of 04/aug/10. tasted in early april, 2009. poured into tulip.

clear, dark amber. lots of light tan head, fading to a thin layer. decent but splotchy rings of lace.

aroma: what seems like earthy and leafy hop character comes upfront, with just a trace of citrus. mild apple fruitiness moves into buiscuity center with toffee and caramel, and faint note of roast and also a metallic, flinty whiff.

taste: gentle maltiness, with caramel notes and light apple fruitiness, but all a bit watered down compared to the leafy hops with relatively bold bitterness (for an english beer), accentuated by the phenol/fusel note, plust more metallic notes. just doesn't seem to meld well altogether.

medium body, but phenols crash in again to overemphasize an astringent finish, meanwhile the otherwise mild carbonation becomes overly prickly, almost fizzy.

wha...?

3.34/5  rDev -18.5%

After a string of bad beers and realizing I need some space in my fridge to fit my most recent purchases from the LCBO, I decided that Fuller's usually has good stuff that will be able to break me out of this rut. Got this one from Ludachris, and it has a best before is 28/7/2010

Appearance: Clearly a bottle conditioned beer, as there is a large amount of yeasty sediment. Produced only a finger of had that did lace and retain somewhat. The beer itself is a dark red copper color.

Smell: A very nice dried fruit smell, specifically noticing apricots. Has a good background of malts and a bit of a dry hop smell. Didn't take any warming to come out either.

Taste: Starts with a very rich malt texture that gets quite a bit milder as you drink it that ends with a light dusting of dry hops. It's nice, but not quite as fruity or diverse as I expected it to be.

Mouthfeel: Well the carbonation is quite good and it transitions fairly well but it does leave a little bit too much of a dry sensation for my liking. The aftertaste is alright, but it does linger for a bit too long.

Drinkability: The dry texture really stops me from putting this down and it's not all that refreshing. I mean no gas or bloating issues but it just doesn't seem to do that much for me. It's alright, but it just seems to be missing the mark.

Final Thoughts: All in all, a good beer but I wouldn't say it's exceptional. I certainly appreciated the Fullers ESB a lot more then this. It's worth one try, but I wouldn't go past that.

3.37/5  rDev -17.8%

Picked up a bottle after a buddy of mine had told me this was an easy drinking English Strong Ale. He was not wrong.

A- Brown/orange mixture. Burnt sinna color. Decent sized head. Not much lacing. Carbonaion bubbles looking like fire.

S- Fruits, english tea leaves, tobacco, grains, beer.

T- Carmel and malty sweetness, some hop, yeast/

M- Pleasant and tingly. Overall quite smooth and refreshing.

D- Easy drinking brew. This is smooth as hell and a pleasure to sip.

3.37/5  rDev -17.8%

1 pt. 2.6 fl.oz. Bottle; Best Before 05/OCT/03.
Aroma: A rich dark malt smell but the hops and a touch of spice (clove?) comes through as well.
Appearance: Brownish red, clear and not very dark. Light but persistent head that leaves a lace of tiny bubbles.
Flavor: The dark sweet malt initial taste is rapidly overrun by a horde of hops that camp for the night. The balance is definitely on the hops side. I experienced some buttery esters as well.
Mouthfeel: Touch heavy on the carbonation and not the warmth I got from other Barley Wines. The hops are so strong that I got a bit of astringency as well.
Overall impression: I know this ranks high in the overall for the site but I found this to be enjoyable, but not quite a celebration. Heavy on the hops for my taste given the style. An ESB on steroids? Drinkability also didn't really ramp me up. I'll enjoy this bottle, but won't crave another.

3.37/5  rDev -17.8%

Poured slightly chilled into a delirium tulip deep reddish copper colored

Smell is great, lots of vanilla, oak, cherry, and phenols.

Taste is somewhat bland some bittersweet chocolate/cocoa poweder and wood up front, not much in between, and a nice bitterness at the end, present but not overly powerful.

Mouthfeel is interesting, lively, almost prickly slightly oily texture to it.

I would drink another one of these just to make sure, I wonder if this was a bad bottle or stored improperly or something, I'm not getting an A- average beer here. I would much rather have a sam smith's stingo over this.

3.38/5  rDev -17.6%

Pours a dark amber reddish hue. Limited off white head with little lacing.

Pretty much tastes as it smells. This beer has a very sweet malty Chocolaty character (sugar Daddy). Slight bitterness with strong alcohol character. Too much considering it has 6% ABV. Aside from bitterness, almost no hoppiness. Average mouthfeel.

I cant say I'm overly impressed with this beer. I give it a 3.5 for taste because the style describes it as such.

3.4/5  rDev -17.1%

Pours maroon and clear with a medium sized lasting beige head. Smell is biscuity, slightly tart malt. Taste is surprisingly hoppy compared to the nose with dark bready and caramel malt flavor to accompany the hops. Slightly full bodied and crisp yet soft carbonation. Pretty balanced and drinkable with a nice mild hop character. Pleasantly surprised.

3.4/5  rDev -17.1%

I found this to be a very drinkable beer. It poured a copper gold color and formed a small bubby white head that left trace lace as it subsided. The aroma was of malt and hops. The flavor was of malt and hops and the finish was a touch astrigent, yet bitter. I hope to find other of Fuller's products that hold up as well or better.

3.41/5  rDev -16.8%

The beer pours a nice ruby red color with a thick frothy offwhite head that slowly fades to lacing. The aroma is decent. It has a weak malty scent that boasts of pale and some crystal malts. It seems dry and a bit breadlike with little hops. The taste is average. It has a very dry and bitter flavor that is bland and stale. It goes down slow and reveals it's elevated abv. in the finish. It has a decent malt palate that consists of pale and crystal malts. There is also English hops in the aftertaste. The mouthfeel is fine. It is a full bodied beer with good carbonation. This is a decent brew, but nothing special. I don't care for the grain bill or the hop selection. It's one and done for me.

3.41/5  rDev -16.8%

A rich copper color with a nice tan head thats creamy and long lasting with nice lacing makes this look like a great English Ale. The smell is sweet butterscotch, with a creamy tangy sweet taste mainly of caramel and malts. The mouthfeel is spicy & tangy - maybe a little too much and while this is a nice beer, its not one of my favorites because others in the style I enjoy are much more drinkable.

3.43/5  rDev -16.3%

The large head is made of fine, yellowish foam that disappears slowly, building a fine, hard crater. The Colour is deep copper red; the liquid is a little hazy.

The smell of this ale is mild, pleasing and a little bit on the sweet side. There are some yeast and lots of malts. There are hints of that special, sour smell that bottle conditioning creates.

The first part of the taste is alcohol, but just for a short moment. Then, a fresh mix of sweet malts and mild hops appears, slowly increasing the bitterness into a dry, long and balanced aftertaste.

The carbon dioxide is conservative with small bubbles.

The taste is complex, yet I found it somewhat avoiding and hard to put my finger on its special character. I have to compare it with Fuller’s ESB, one of my favourite ales. And my conclusion is that 1845 is common ale with some extra alcohol, while ESB is ale with extra everything: More alcohol, more malt, more hops and more grit.

3.43/5  rDev -16.3%

This poured into my nonic from the bottle with a whopper of a head. The Mount Ranier of heads ...
My curious sniffing picked up mostly the smell of fruity hops. Not what I expected out of an English ale by a longshot. Pronlonged sniffage reveals mellow carmel malts ... they for some reason remind me of Fat Tire Amber Ale by New Belgium, and the Abbey Ale New Belgium makes as well. There's a strange aftertaste I get with those beers that reminds me of must, mildew or a wet dog. I'm picking that up now as well.

The taste is ever so slightly bitter, followed by caramel, and then that unpleasant musty taste which I dread. A shame because this has more lace to offer than Victoria Secret.
One is certaintly enough for me. I have no desire for another.

3.44/5  rDev -16.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Fuller's 1845 Ale poured an excellent ruby amber with an very nice fluffy head. Smell was of light yeast. The taste I found very complex, but at times it was unpleasant. Caramel, dark fruit, some chocolate. Some crisp hops in the finish. But at times it seemed harsh. Mouthfeel was ok as well as the drinkability. I really wanted to like this beer, because at times it was excellent, challenging and flavorful, but something in the flavor at times that didn't hit me right. I will give this another try because of the notes that I liked in it. This beer left me with more questions than answers.

Fuller's 1845 from Fuller Smith & Turner PLC