Fuller's 1845 | Fuller Smith & Turner PLC

Added by kbub6f on 09-16-2000

View: Beers
Ratings: 1,131 |  Reviews: 704
3.6/5  rDev -12.4%

I've had this a number of times over the years, was surprised to see I've never reviewed it.

This is really what I think of when I think English Strong Ale, it always strikes me as middle of the road but I guess it's because it's really the benchmark and there is certainly something to be said for that.

Pours a deep chestnut in color, slightly hazy with a generous, billowing head, sometimes a bit overactive so some careful pouring technique is often called for. Nose is of raisins and malt, reminds me slightly of molasses in a subtle way. Taste is quite smooth, quite malty with only a slightly bitter finish. Older bottles develop a stale taste sometimes, but the fresher bottles are much better having a distinctly fresher character to it. I mention this because this particular brew always seems to me more sensitive to aging than many of the type. My guess is because of the slightly lower alcohol content and it's more subtle flavors.

All in all a fine brew and one that really is a benchmark for it's style.

Slàinte!

500ml bottle bought from Sainsbury's...

Poured a dark coppery amber colour... Creamy head pours quite thick then faded to thin layer. Some patchy lacing...

Aroma - Nice biscuity malts, toffee notes, spicy fruits (raisins, oranges, figs), light peppery notes, spicy hops, grassy notes, some rubbery traces...

Taste – Nice spicy / peppery hops, definite biscuity / bready malts, spicy fruits (raisins), light treacle sweetness...

Feel - Oily smoothness with some light sharpness underneath... Medium bodied. Very drinkable...

Overall - A very good beer....Recommended...

4.05/5  rDev -1.5%

beer pours a very dark ruby with a two finger head that leaves rings of lacing as the beer is consumed.

aroma is primarily toasted malt, perhaps a bit of raisin.

taste is dominated by toasty malt with tones of caramel and chocolate, hops are noticable in the finish but this is primarily a malt beer.

mouthfeel is thick and creamy, very nice, not too much carbonation.

drinkability is not too bad for a beer with this much flavor, although one is probably enough in a session.

overall, a tasty ale, highly recommended if you want an alternative to American hop bombs as this one lets the malt shine through, a well constructed brew and one that everyone should try at least once.

4.26/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Nice full tan head, reddish-amber color, pretty beer. The aroma has some hints of tobacco and licorice, some very slight esters. Its interesting, but not as appealing as some others I've had. The flavor is good, big and bold, and not subtle at all. It doesn't have the delicate malt-hop blend you get out of American pale ales and IPAs (yes, I mean delicate in the sense that you get a soft maltiness under the hops; the maltiness in this one is more caramelly, burnt toffee-like, and the hops are not floral, they are more aggressive than that). But I find that appealing; this is a British pale ale after all. I think its really good and I'd like to have several of these, although its a nice strong beer.

4.23/5  rDev +2.9%

Ive read some great reviews about 1845 and was quite excited to try it.
Poured my bottle into my favorite pint glass. I first noticed the the deep dark reddish color followed by the frothy white head. The head dissipated to a thin whispy covering on the top.
The scent of malt hit me right after I open the bottle. Very powerfull and full. Smell was of malt; sweet and carmel like. Also some butterscotch like scents mixed in with the floral and somewhat herbal like smells from the hops. So much to smell. Taste much like the scent very powerfull. Sweet and malty hints of carmel and floral like in the aftertaste. Nice bittering to offset the initial sweetness. A very well balanced beer IMO. I really enjoyed this one. Mouthfeel was perfect not to much carbonation and not to smooth just right. Awesome beer!

3.88/5  rDev -5.6%

Best before date 1-3-05. But still tasted good.

Appearance- Pours a very nice, merengue head with good retention and a good head. But the foam dissapears after drinking about three quarters of the bottle.

Smell- Lots of coojed mlats. The first thing that comes to mind is a BBQ. There are lots of brown usgary sweet smells that mix with that BBQ smell.

Taste- Very malty. Good malty. I like the taste of this ber. Lots of sweet malts and light hops. Very balanced.

4.33/5  rDev +5.4%

The beer pours a rich amber with a beige head that laces well. The aroma is mainly of malt, but does have a bit of a dark fruit in the background. The taste has a strong malt that is nicely bittered, and I find just a bit of dark fruit hiding back in the finish. The feel is heavy and oily with a bit of alcohol burn in the end and a dry finish. While I tend to lean towards maltier and sweeter beers this is a bitter that could tempt me. The hops has been used to make the beer nicely bitter the feel is pleasant and makes for a beer you could find yourself drinking all evening.

4.35/5  rDev +5.8%

This is much better than I was expecting. The color is a nice brown. There was a medium sized head. The smell is of molasses. The taste is a little bitter and the molasses show up here too. There is also a caramel presence. The mouthfeel is a lot smoother that I was expecting. There is no harshness at all. The drinkability is very good. I was a bit timid at first, now I wish I had another bomber. One of the better beers I have had lately.

4.15/5  rDev +1%

bottle- best before June 20, 2006

A: Deep ruby body, off white head with a few color variations. big bubbles scattered throughout an otherwise fine (tiny) bubble head.

S: rich malt, some ripe fruit qualities, husk, light hops

T/M: just as the nose predicts, big malt up front, a little sugar, not too carmelized. a rustic hop bitter pulls through on the back of the tongue and continues to grow. some of the ripe fruit comes through, with a little bit of bubble gum. finishes dry and leafy. creamy mouthfeel, great carbo level, well done.

D: awesome. tasty brew, well balanced, very affordable. a great and versatile brew to just have hanging in the fridge.

3.83/5  rDev -6.8%

It's sure to be a busy weekend, as my company gave me Friday off for "March Madness"! I don't even watch basketball.

Label read: Best Before 20/JUN/06

Appearance: Pours out a lovely amber hue with a creamy ivory-colored head.

Smell: Ahh. The scent is sharp and lively. Sweet caramel malts AND fruity alcohol esters??! The aroma lineup just improved significantly!

Taste: Here's my take on 1845 (the beer): Initially sweetish, with hints of caramel and butterscotch. Also, it's got some notable biscuit flavors. Plus, it's got some fruitiness (cherries, for me)! Doubleplus, there's some spicy, bitter hops in the finish. All in all, there's alot going for this beer and alot going on IN this beer.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. The mouthfeel is both sparkling and creamy.

Drinkability: Pretty decent. All this and more in....a bottle of Fuller's 1845!!!

3.7/5  rDev -10%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

App: a big frothy-yeasty head, body of a nice brown ale . Sm: Great smell, cedar saw dust and cinnamon. Ta: dry cedar again, eggy, cinnamon and spice. Mf: Low carbonation, otherwise smooth sailing. Da: Drinkable enough, but the dryness gangs up and takes away from the overall effect. Probably best as a nightcap.

4.22/5  rDev +2.7%

First time trying this, and I'm very impressed. Appearance is lovely, head and lacing are beautiful, as a bottle conditioned brew should be. Scent is nutty, malty, and slightly hoppy. Tastes very appropriate for the smell, nutty, malty, and slightly hoppy! Delicious brew, a nearly perfect example of the style. Could be a touch more complex, but it goes down so easily that I really can't complain. This was not what I expected at all, and was a very pleasant surprise. I need to take another look at a few other offerings from Fuller's, to date I've only had this and their ESB. Both were very good, and I imagine they have much more to offer as well.

3.92/5  rDev -4.6%

Best by date of 20/MAR/06. Somewhat of a hoppy characteristic, but of the grassy type. Light malt and I thought pepper and allspice, rather than the nutmeg from the desciption. Frothy, light-brown head that completely vanished. The taste was right on style; I can imagine having this on cask in a good local - YUM. This would make a great session beer. As this is classified as an English Strong Ale, one would think that cellaring this would be good. I don't think the chracteristics would really lend themselves to get any better with age. I have another bottle I bought in 2004 that I'll have to rate soon.

3.72/5  rDev -9.5%

Aroma is very hard to detect...very faint cola notes is all I pick up. Light brown with a firm finger thick head. I get the fruit cake notes mentioned in the Commercial Descrip. and in fact this is VERY bready. Mild spice in there as well. The cake/bread notes are extremely long lasting and start from the middle and stay well into the aftertaste. I like beers like this that have a feel good aftertaste that lingers a long while.

3.87/5  rDev -5.8%

I enjoyed this in open goblet with 1/2" head. Brown rich appearance. The nose was a bit hoppy, just what I was expecting. However the touch on my palette first said nutty, with that touch of bitterness to finish with a fruity aftertaste. This was a late balance but still an excellent experience.
- Adam

3.43/5  rDev -16.5%

This poured into my nonic from the bottle with a whopper of a head. The Mount Ranier of heads ...
My curious sniffing picked up mostly the smell of fruity hops. Not what I expected out of an English ale by a longshot. Pronlonged sniffage reveals mellow carmel malts ... they for some reason remind me of Fat Tire Amber Ale by New Belgium, and the Abbey Ale New Belgium makes as well. There's a strange aftertaste I get with those beers that reminds me of must, mildew or a wet dog. I'm picking that up now as well.

The taste is ever so slightly bitter, followed by caramel, and then that unpleasant musty taste which I dread. A shame because this has more lace to offer than Victoria Secret.
One is certaintly enough for me. I have no desire for another.

4.03/5  rDev -1.9%

This is a very interesting beer which came to me courtesy of mentor. I don't believe I've had a beer of this style before, so it's kind of tough to judge based on that.

The beer pours to a dark nutty, yet clear amber color with a decent carbonation and an awesome fluffy white head. The lacing is great, leaving sheets all the way down the glass.

The smell at first reminded me of fresh squeezed apple cider, but now that it's warmed up a bit there is some gently toasted malt and hops to it as well. Very interesting.

The taste is just like the nose. Has a huge estery apple flavor along with a nice bitter bite from the hops and a roasty caramel malt finish. Tastes like a Double London Pride, basically.

The mouthfeel is not too buttery, but the water is rich in minerals which creates a killer bite when combined with the hoppiness. The body is quite full. Has a nice bitter, nutty, roasty finish. Very enjoyable. I usually am not a big fan of hopped up [by British standards], buttery, estery, and mineral-rich english ales, but this one was very interesting to me for some reason.

4.4/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

This is my favorite from Fuller's.

The beer pours a deep amber red with a nice thick two finger head into my Imperial pint glass.

Aroma is indeed of dried, dark fruit as the label indicates. Raisins, dates, etc. Its all there. You can tell this one has a strong malt backbone.

Taste is quite malty but balanced. Heavy on sweet fruit. Almost like fruitcake but in a good way. Nice dry, hop finish to round it out.

Mouthfeel is syrupy and smooth. Little carbonation. Drying over time.

This is a very drinkable beer however it is a bit on the sweet side which can get to me at times. Well worth coming back to time and time again.

4.42/5  rDev +7.5%

Pours clear deep reddish copper with a thick head and plenty of lacing.

Smell is strong and complex. Earthy hops, bready, sweet toasted malt with dark fruit and spices.

Taste is sweet malt and hearty grain, caramel, nut, and toffee. Finish is hopped dry with spices. The dark grains and lingering nuttiness is the dominant aspect of this brew.

Mouthfeel is full bodied and well balanced.

I found this brew to be quite distinct and interesting. Another winner from Fuller's. Although it isn't for the uninitiated, I would highly recommend this brew. Flavor really comes into its own as it warms. Wonderful.

3.67/5  rDev -10.7%

This a very palatable strong ale showing little evidence of alcohol in the taste.
The appearance is really not very nice, a hazy brown/amber cross with a short crown and a light lace and ring.
The nose is light of chocolate and caromel.
Chocolate is the prime mover up front when consumed with hints of coffee as well followed by grassy bitterness.
Mouthfeel is a bitter chocolate, just a little to lengthy.
Very nice.

4.47/5  rDev +8.8%

poured a nice rich amber with a fluffy lasting head and a lot of lacing. aroma rich choc. like godiva choc. malts, and a hint of butterscotch very nice. flavor malts, nutty, majaal dates don’t know if spelling is correct,sweet spices mouth feel smooth .with some bitterness. a very good beer

4.35/5  rDev +5.8%

Deep hazy burnt amber with a frothy off-white head. Sweet fruity aroma, very invigorating. The first sip is juicy: fruit upfront followed by a smooth malt. The malts take over the show as it warms - wow...super delicious malts. Full, silky mouthfeel with a nice warm and bitter finish. It is thick, yet it floats in your mouth.

A very enjoyable and satisfying ale. A real pleasure to drink and I definately enjoy the bottle conditioning. A great ale for my 100th review!

4.38/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Big cream colored head with great retention. Its all over my glass. Garnet brown color, fairly clear. Very friendly looking brew. The nose picks up sweet earth and mild walnut. Very mellow and soothing in smell and taste. Low relaxed carbonation gives way to the natural earthy malts and a hidden citric pine dank hop character. Very relaxing brew with a nice velvety smooth creamy mouth. High drinkability, in every way. Real nice when its not too cold as well.

This beer is like a brain and body massage. Mellow and fulfilling and wholesome. I need to get this off a British tap.

3.53/5  rDev -14.1%

Appearance - I like the appearance of this beer, it's hearty looking with decent but not over-the-top carbonation and head.
Aroma - Lots of malt in the aroma of this with a fair amount of caramel too. Hint of alcohol.
Taste, mouthfeel - Very rich and creamy and then almost immediately there is a big hit of bitterness on the back of the tongue that borders on astringency. Fortunately there is also some sweetness and a light tartness that is pleasant. There are some hot alcohol flavors that come through too.
Drinkability - A tad heavy to be something I'd call highly drinkable, one bottle will be about enough for the evening.

3.97/5  rDev -3.4%

Bottle obtained from Lquor Malt (Boulder) for $0.99 because the 'best before' date had just passed by. Pours a 1.5 finger dark tan head over a cloudy dark amber liquid. Smells richly of caramel, toffee, and chocolate. Has that notable smell I find only in Fuller's products. Tastes like a Fuller's product, too. Soured caramel, some coffee and a toffee/chocolate. Dry cocoa and a grassy edge. Some rough alcohol burn and fusel taste. Enjoyable, and one I might pick up again since it's only 99 cents. md body and modest carbonation.

Fuller's 1845 from Fuller Smith & Turner PLC