Fuller's 1845 | Fuller Smith & Turner PLC

Added by kbub6f on 09-16-2000

Ratings: 1,123 |  Reviews: 702
4.15/5  rDev +1%

bottle- best before June 20, 2006

A: Deep ruby body, off white head with a few color variations. big bubbles scattered throughout an otherwise fine (tiny) bubble head.

S: rich malt, some ripe fruit qualities, husk, light hops

T/M: just as the nose predicts, big malt up front, a little sugar, not too carmelized. a rustic hop bitter pulls through on the back of the tongue and continues to grow. some of the ripe fruit comes through, with a little bit of bubble gum. finishes dry and leafy. creamy mouthfeel, great carbo level, well done.

D: awesome. tasty brew, well balanced, very affordable. a great and versatile brew to just have hanging in the fridge.

3.83/5  rDev -6.8%

It's sure to be a busy weekend, as my company gave me Friday off for "March Madness"! I don't even watch basketball.

Label read: Best Before 20/JUN/06

Appearance: Pours out a lovely amber hue with a creamy ivory-colored head.

Smell: Ahh. The scent is sharp and lively. Sweet caramel malts AND fruity alcohol esters??! The aroma lineup just improved significantly!

Taste: Here's my take on 1845 (the beer): Initially sweetish, with hints of caramel and butterscotch. Also, it's got some notable biscuit flavors. Plus, it's got some fruitiness (cherries, for me)! Doubleplus, there's some spicy, bitter hops in the finish. All in all, there's alot going for this beer and alot going on IN this beer.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. The mouthfeel is both sparkling and creamy.

Drinkability: Pretty decent. All this and more in....a bottle of Fuller's 1845!!!

3.7/5  rDev -10%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

App: a big frothy-yeasty head, body of a nice brown ale . Sm: Great smell, cedar saw dust and cinnamon. Ta: dry cedar again, eggy, cinnamon and spice. Mf: Low carbonation, otherwise smooth sailing. Da: Drinkable enough, but the dryness gangs up and takes away from the overall effect. Probably best as a nightcap.

4.22/5  rDev +2.7%

First time trying this, and I'm very impressed. Appearance is lovely, head and lacing are beautiful, as a bottle conditioned brew should be. Scent is nutty, malty, and slightly hoppy. Tastes very appropriate for the smell, nutty, malty, and slightly hoppy! Delicious brew, a nearly perfect example of the style. Could be a touch more complex, but it goes down so easily that I really can't complain. This was not what I expected at all, and was a very pleasant surprise. I need to take another look at a few other offerings from Fuller's, to date I've only had this and their ESB. Both were very good, and I imagine they have much more to offer as well.

3.92/5  rDev -4.6%

Best by date of 20/MAR/06. Somewhat of a hoppy characteristic, but of the grassy type. Light malt and I thought pepper and allspice, rather than the nutmeg from the desciption. Frothy, light-brown head that completely vanished. The taste was right on style; I can imagine having this on cask in a good local - YUM. This would make a great session beer. As this is classified as an English Strong Ale, one would think that cellaring this would be good. I don't think the chracteristics would really lend themselves to get any better with age. I have another bottle I bought in 2004 that I'll have to rate soon.

3.72/5  rDev -9.5%

Aroma is very hard to detect...very faint cola notes is all I pick up. Light brown with a firm finger thick head. I get the fruit cake notes mentioned in the Commercial Descrip. and in fact this is VERY bready. Mild spice in there as well. The cake/bread notes are extremely long lasting and start from the middle and stay well into the aftertaste. I like beers like this that have a feel good aftertaste that lingers a long while.

3.87/5  rDev -5.8%

I enjoyed this in open goblet with 1/2" head. Brown rich appearance. The nose was a bit hoppy, just what I was expecting. However the touch on my palette first said nutty, with that touch of bitterness to finish with a fruity aftertaste. This was a late balance but still an excellent experience.
- Adam

3.43/5  rDev -16.5%

This poured into my nonic from the bottle with a whopper of a head. The Mount Ranier of heads ...
My curious sniffing picked up mostly the smell of fruity hops. Not what I expected out of an English ale by a longshot. Pronlonged sniffage reveals mellow carmel malts ... they for some reason remind me of Fat Tire Amber Ale by New Belgium, and the Abbey Ale New Belgium makes as well. There's a strange aftertaste I get with those beers that reminds me of must, mildew or a wet dog. I'm picking that up now as well.

The taste is ever so slightly bitter, followed by caramel, and then that unpleasant musty taste which I dread. A shame because this has more lace to offer than Victoria Secret.
One is certaintly enough for me. I have no desire for another.

4.03/5  rDev -1.9%

This is a very interesting beer which came to me courtesy of mentor. I don't believe I've had a beer of this style before, so it's kind of tough to judge based on that.

The beer pours to a dark nutty, yet clear amber color with a decent carbonation and an awesome fluffy white head. The lacing is great, leaving sheets all the way down the glass.

The smell at first reminded me of fresh squeezed apple cider, but now that it's warmed up a bit there is some gently toasted malt and hops to it as well. Very interesting.

The taste is just like the nose. Has a huge estery apple flavor along with a nice bitter bite from the hops and a roasty caramel malt finish. Tastes like a Double London Pride, basically.

The mouthfeel is not too buttery, but the water is rich in minerals which creates a killer bite when combined with the hoppiness. The body is quite full. Has a nice bitter, nutty, roasty finish. Very enjoyable. I usually am not a big fan of hopped up [by British standards], buttery, estery, and mineral-rich english ales, but this one was very interesting to me for some reason.

4.4/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

This is my favorite from Fuller's.

The beer pours a deep amber red with a nice thick two finger head into my Imperial pint glass.

Aroma is indeed of dried, dark fruit as the label indicates. Raisins, dates, etc. Its all there. You can tell this one has a strong malt backbone.

Taste is quite malty but balanced. Heavy on sweet fruit. Almost like fruitcake but in a good way. Nice dry, hop finish to round it out.

Mouthfeel is syrupy and smooth. Little carbonation. Drying over time.

This is a very drinkable beer however it is a bit on the sweet side which can get to me at times. Well worth coming back to time and time again.

4.42/5  rDev +7.5%

Pours clear deep reddish copper with a thick head and plenty of lacing.

Smell is strong and complex. Earthy hops, bready, sweet toasted malt with dark fruit and spices.

Taste is sweet malt and hearty grain, caramel, nut, and toffee. Finish is hopped dry with spices. The dark grains and lingering nuttiness is the dominant aspect of this brew.

Mouthfeel is full bodied and well balanced.

I found this brew to be quite distinct and interesting. Another winner from Fuller's. Although it isn't for the uninitiated, I would highly recommend this brew. Flavor really comes into its own as it warms. Wonderful.

3.67/5  rDev -10.7%

This a very palatable strong ale showing little evidence of alcohol in the taste.
The appearance is really not very nice, a hazy brown/amber cross with a short crown and a light lace and ring.
The nose is light of chocolate and caromel.
Chocolate is the prime mover up front when consumed with hints of coffee as well followed by grassy bitterness.
Mouthfeel is a bitter chocolate, just a little to lengthy.
Very nice.

4.47/5  rDev +8.8%

poured a nice rich amber with a fluffy lasting head and a lot of lacing. aroma rich choc. like godiva choc. malts, and a hint of butterscotch very nice. flavor malts, nutty, majaal dates don’t know if spelling is correct,sweet spices mouth feel smooth .with some bitterness. a very good beer

4.35/5  rDev +5.8%

Deep hazy burnt amber with a frothy off-white head. Sweet fruity aroma, very invigorating. The first sip is juicy: fruit upfront followed by a smooth malt. The malts take over the show as it warms - wow...super delicious malts. Full, silky mouthfeel with a nice warm and bitter finish. It is thick, yet it floats in your mouth.

A very enjoyable and satisfying ale. A real pleasure to drink and I definately enjoy the bottle conditioning. A great ale for my 100th review!

4.38/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Big cream colored head with great retention. Its all over my glass. Garnet brown color, fairly clear. Very friendly looking brew. The nose picks up sweet earth and mild walnut. Very mellow and soothing in smell and taste. Low relaxed carbonation gives way to the natural earthy malts and a hidden citric pine dank hop character. Very relaxing brew with a nice velvety smooth creamy mouth. High drinkability, in every way. Real nice when its not too cold as well.

This beer is like a brain and body massage. Mellow and fulfilling and wholesome. I need to get this off a British tap.

3.53/5  rDev -14.1%

Appearance - I like the appearance of this beer, it's hearty looking with decent but not over-the-top carbonation and head.
Aroma - Lots of malt in the aroma of this with a fair amount of caramel too. Hint of alcohol.
Taste, mouthfeel - Very rich and creamy and then almost immediately there is a big hit of bitterness on the back of the tongue that borders on astringency. Fortunately there is also some sweetness and a light tartness that is pleasant. There are some hot alcohol flavors that come through too.
Drinkability - A tad heavy to be something I'd call highly drinkable, one bottle will be about enough for the evening.

3.97/5  rDev -3.4%

Bottle obtained from Lquor Malt (Boulder) for $0.99 because the 'best before' date had just passed by. Pours a 1.5 finger dark tan head over a cloudy dark amber liquid. Smells richly of caramel, toffee, and chocolate. Has that notable smell I find only in Fuller's products. Tastes like a Fuller's product, too. Soured caramel, some coffee and a toffee/chocolate. Dry cocoa and a grassy edge. Some rough alcohol burn and fusel taste. Enjoyable, and one I might pick up again since it's only 99 cents. md body and modest carbonation.

3.91/5  rDev -4.9%

Pours caramel with a a fluffy 3" tan head that retains very well,

Smell: Fruitiness. alcohol hints and oaky smell

Taste: Caramel, fruitiness, choclate notes, pineyness, dryness, and alcohol on the finish

MF; Smooth and fairly balanced, a litlle more hops profile is in order IMHO

Good effort worthy of Fullers' tradition of excellence

2.52/5  rDev -38.7%

I wasn't impressed with this beer, even though I'm a fan of Fuller's ESB and London Pride.

The color is the best part of this beer -- it's rich, deep caramel. Very inviting. But the nose is too, too grainy. When I first nosed this beer, the thing that came to mind was dog kibble, and NOT in a good way. Flavorwise, the mix of brown ale and bitter ale flavors in the Fuller's 1845 just don't work for me. The grainy flavor, carrying over from the nose, ruins the bitter hop flavor, and the hop flavor doesn't work with the grain. Either way I look at this, it seems an unwise mix of flavors. Not recommended.

3.92/5  rDev -4.6%

Good copper/red color but no head to speak of. Smell is a nice blend of raisins, wine, and fresh hops. Mildly alcoholic. Has a complex flavor: sweet fruity malt with a crisp bitterness. Notes of cherries, grapes, nuts, and floral hops present. Finish is somewhat dry. It has medium thickness, and is a little low on carbonation. Great balance of flavors, and not overpowering, so its very drinkable.

3.88/5  rDev -5.6%

Saw this breweries beers pop up occasionally on this site, so I figured I check out the ones my local packy carried. More reviews to follow

A relatively basic looking ale. Bottle conditioned, but sometime I wonder how long these less popular beer sit for, maybe expired???? I am not sure the beer has nice lacing characteristics.

Considered a strong ale, compared to what craft brewers are putting out now, this one seems a little tame at %6.3. A little bit musty, not very hoppy, but darn pretty tasty.

Overall a decent beer for $3.00.

3.9/5  rDev -5.1%

Appearance: Pours a dark hazelnut shade of brown. The head rose to a thick and pillowy three finger height and displayed a toasted almond color. Minimal lacing but this beer maintains its composure and the head will grow with some rousing.

Smell: Aroma is of sweet toasty raisin bread. Different malts are hitting me in the form of subtle licorice and spiced sweet breads. Very nice.

Taste: This is one of the most complex english ales I have encountered. I get a strong hit of that oh so farmiliar ale yeast that is popular in Britan. Such a unique flavor. It has a varied malt profile, dark, roasty, nuttish (hazelnut?) The hops are there but subtle but leave a nice bittering finish.

Mouthfeel: This has a nice coating effect on your palate. Full bodied and almost chewy. Medium carbonation.

Drinkability: I would drink this almost anytime but I wouldnt buy it all the time. English ales are not one of my favorite styles but this beer is well put together and is recommended. Easily drinkable.

Cheers2Beers

3.72/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

1pt 0.9 fl oz bottle serving. Best before 20 Jun 06.

Dark, coppery amber pour. Huge thick white head. A very nice looking pint, (served in my Fuller's nonic pint glass, no less).

Nose is malt with some floral hops. A little sour with a sulfury note, as well. Something odd going on here.

Flavor is good strong bitters. Biscuity malt with a nice bitter finish. Plenty of English hops in the finish. It has a little bit of an alcohol bite. No complaint there, just a little surprised at that. It's quite tasty and refreshing.

Mouthfeel is medium, well carbonated and a little astringent.

Great drinkability. I still think that Fuller's ESB is better. But given sufficient quantity, I could easily session it all night long.

4.1/5  rDev -0.2%

Cloudy brown with orange highlights, small white head leaving a solid ring and big-bubble islands. Large malt and alcohol nose, nutty and sweet. Sweet at the beginning of the taste and segues into a ashy hoppiness for the finish. Lingering alcohol but not burningly so. Fine drinking beer. None of the flavors dominate so this can be a multi-bottle affair. Not too expensive either.

4.45/5  rDev +8.3%

As this beer pours into my glass, I see a classic English ale with cloudy copper/marroon body and creamy tan head. A nice blast of English hops greets my nose and is complemented by malt and a general fruitiness. There are also some mild spice tones, melding well with the fruit. Looking good thusfar.
Toasted malt and moderately bitter hops combine with a smooth, round mouthfeel that make the drinking experience quite pleasureable. Full of flavor and posessing an even balance, this is a great cold weather English pub ale and I can definitely see watching Six Nations Rugby in February armed with a few pints of this. Another winner from the boys in Chiswick.

Fuller's 1845 from Fuller Smith & Turner PLC