Fuller's 1845 | Fuller Smith & Turner PLC

Added by kbub6f on 09-16-2000

4.1

Ratings: 1,114 |  Reviews: 698
3.4/5  rDev -17.1%

Pours maroon and clear with a medium sized lasting beige head. Smell is biscuity, slightly tart malt. Taste is surprisingly hoppy compared to the nose with dark bready and caramel malt flavor to accompany the hops. Slightly full bodied and crisp yet soft carbonation. Pretty balanced and drinkable with a nice mild hop character. Pleasantly surprised.

3.4/5  rDev -17.1%

I found this to be a very drinkable beer. It poured a copper gold color and formed a small bubby white head that left trace lace as it subsided. The aroma was of malt and hops. The flavor was of malt and hops and the finish was a touch astrigent, yet bitter. I hope to find other of Fuller's products that hold up as well or better.

3.41/5  rDev -16.8%

The beer pours a nice ruby red color with a thick frothy offwhite head that slowly fades to lacing. The aroma is decent. It has a weak malty scent that boasts of pale and some crystal malts. It seems dry and a bit breadlike with little hops. The taste is average. It has a very dry and bitter flavor that is bland and stale. It goes down slow and reveals it's elevated abv. in the finish. It has a decent malt palate that consists of pale and crystal malts. There is also English hops in the aftertaste. The mouthfeel is fine. It is a full bodied beer with good carbonation. This is a decent brew, but nothing special. I don't care for the grain bill or the hop selection. It's one and done for me.

3.41/5  rDev -16.8%

A rich copper color with a nice tan head thats creamy and long lasting with nice lacing makes this look like a great English Ale. The smell is sweet butterscotch, with a creamy tangy sweet taste mainly of caramel and malts. The mouthfeel is spicy & tangy - maybe a little too much and while this is a nice beer, its not one of my favorites because others in the style I enjoy are much more drinkable.

3.43/5  rDev -16.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.43/5  rDev -16.3%

The large head is made of fine, yellowish foam that disappears slowly, building a fine, hard crater. The Colour is deep copper red; the liquid is a little hazy.

The smell of this ale is mild, pleasing and a little bit on the sweet side. There are some yeast and lots of malts. There are hints of that special, sour smell that bottle conditioning creates.

The first part of the taste is alcohol, but just for a short moment. Then, a fresh mix of sweet malts and mild hops appears, slowly increasing the bitterness into a dry, long and balanced aftertaste.

The carbon dioxide is conservative with small bubbles.

The taste is complex, yet I found it somewhat avoiding and hard to put my finger on its special character. I have to compare it with Fuller’s ESB, one of my favourite ales. And my conclusion is that 1845 is common ale with some extra alcohol, while ESB is ale with extra everything: More alcohol, more malt, more hops and more grit.

3.43/5  rDev -16.3%

This poured into my nonic from the bottle with a whopper of a head. The Mount Ranier of heads ...
My curious sniffing picked up mostly the smell of fruity hops. Not what I expected out of an English ale by a longshot. Pronlonged sniffage reveals mellow carmel malts ... they for some reason remind me of Fat Tire Amber Ale by New Belgium, and the Abbey Ale New Belgium makes as well. There's a strange aftertaste I get with those beers that reminds me of must, mildew or a wet dog. I'm picking that up now as well.

The taste is ever so slightly bitter, followed by caramel, and then that unpleasant musty taste which I dread. A shame because this has more lace to offer than Victoria Secret.
One is certaintly enough for me. I have no desire for another.

3.44/5  rDev -16.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Fuller's 1845 Ale poured an excellent ruby amber with an very nice fluffy head. Smell was of light yeast. The taste I found very complex, but at times it was unpleasant. Caramel, dark fruit, some chocolate. Some crisp hops in the finish. But at times it seemed harsh. Mouthfeel was ok as well as the drinkability. I really wanted to like this beer, because at times it was excellent, challenging and flavorful, but something in the flavor at times that didn't hit me right. I will give this another try because of the notes that I liked in it. This beer left me with more questions than answers.

3.45/5  rDev -15.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

from notes

A - crisp red bubbly body, white head constituted of large bubbles

S - sweet and dry malts, relatively bland

T - a syrupy sweetness, and fairly dry.

M - thin, and the carbonation is a bit harsh.

D - easy enough to drink, not very interesting or good-tasting

3.47/5  rDev -15.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

3.48/5  rDev -15.1%

Pours a good deep mahogany brown with a lovely head. Large bubbels in head, creamy coloured.

Aromas of toffee, caramel, toast.

Taste is a let-down hoppy and dry, not o my preferance of style.

Mouthfeel solid enough.

Overall just too hoppy and dry pour moi for an English Strong Ale. Bring on the malts!

3.48/5  rDev -15.1%

Appearance: 1845 pours a medium ruby color with mahogany highlights. About 1.5 fingers of off-white head forms. Retention and lacing are decent.

Smell: Caramel, toffee, a bit of fruity presence, and slight biscuity malts. Maybe just a hint of floral hops as well.

Taste: Biscuity and caramel malts, toffee, mild dark fruits, and slight floral hops on the back end. Not bad at all.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability: This beer is pretty light bodied with quite a bit of carbonation, but it's pretty fine carbonation and drinks pretty smoothly. Overall, this is a fairly solid beer that holds it's own.

3.48/5  rDev -15.1%

The bottle over flowed when I opened it! Oh well. What's more is it poured with a weak head that quickly disipated. This is a really special ale I think. It's crazy. So many tastes, sweet malt and heavy hops with wood and bread! I don't really understand how those chemicals like phenols and diacytal and ester taste, but I think these are probably in here, because there are a lot of flavors that I can acount for, that show up in just about every English Ale I taste. The color is almost like some one took ale and poured either blood or transmition fluid in it. Definitely complex, as with most english ales I've tasted, it gets smoother as it warms up. I wouldn't really drink alot of these the way I would other beers, oh wait, yes I would. I can imagine most people drinking this to inebreation. That's not to say it isn't drinkable, but when compared with drinkable beers, it's definitely not as drinkable. Really, pay attention to the recommended 50 degree serving temperature.

3.5/5  rDev -14.6%

Sampled this fine brew with fellow BAs 3Vandoo and Beersignal, and I can't remember who brought this one so I'll just thank them both!

Appearance: Burnished copper with a clingy salt and pepper head.

Smell: Alcoholic vapors rushed up my nose, they felt peaty at first but mellowed to show a side of oily golding hops.

Taste: Boozy and round, with pale malt character and a crisp bitterness that was short, but the hooch stayed on a while in the aftermath.

Fuller's 1845 from Fuller Smith & Turner PLC