Fuller's Bengal Lancer (Bottle-Conditioned) | Fuller Smith & Turner PLC

Fuller's Bengal Lancer (Bottle-Conditioned)Fuller's Bengal Lancer (Bottle-Conditioned)

Fuller Smith & Turner PLC
England, United Kingdom
fullers.co.uk

Style: English India Pale Ale (IPA)

Added by wl0307 on 03-21-2010

3.75/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Brilliant, deep gold color with a foamy, white and persistent head; some foam clinging down the length of the pint glass. Lightly toasted grain scent; biscuit and crackers; infused with a sweet, grassy, and faintly citrus hop aroma. Subtle malt flavors rounded out with a nice hop bitterness at the finish. Medium bodied; clean, crisp and dry.

A respectable English-styled IPA all-around. The hop bittering comes across just about right, flavor-wise, yet the malt taste seems a little weak. Still, it drinks easily, looks decent, and would make a nice session ale.
----

Re-reviewed 3-23-2017

Original appearance and taste rated 3.5

This time, had it on tap at The Golden Bee at the Broadmoor Hotel in Colorado Springs.

Nice color and sticky sheets of foam all along the sides of the pint glass. Taste has a toasted grain flavor with a crisp, well balancing bitterness.

3.63/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Reviewed from notes. Poured this 16.9 oz thick brown bottle into a SN hops tulip glass. The best by date was Nov. 19, 2014. I drank it August 2013, pretty fresh! The body was clear and apricot colored. The creamy tan head remained.

The smell was fruit - fresh plums and apples. Wheat bread.

The taste was reflective of the aromas. Fruity with a lightly bitter finish. Clean and bright. Easy to drink. I enjoyed this more than most of the English IPAs I consume. Nicely done.

The mouthfeel was medium with plenty of carbonation. I would gladly have another.

3.25/5  rDev -15.6%

3.85/5  rDev 0%

Appearance: golden amber; effervescent; slightly hazy; good sized white, frothy head; no real lacing

Smell: biscuity malt; resiny; some citrus notes, but light; smells delicious

Taste: good hop bitterness right up front that dominates the palate the whole way through; you can detect the malt, but the citrus starts to come through at the end with slightly dry grapefruit notes in the aftertaste

Mouthfeel: slightly thin, but very drinkable. Good session beer for me.

2.5/5  rDev -35.1%

3.17/5  rDev -17.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

A- poured a lovely clear copper with a foamy white head. Minimal retention. Some visible carbonation.

S- barely registers. A whif of yeast and a slight bit of malt is all that is noticeable.

T- very little of note. Sweeter malt is about it.

M- nice feel on the palette. Carbonation isn't at all present.

O-has high hopes for this because of Fuller's other offerings I enjoy. Bit of a disappointment

3.38/5  rDev -12.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours clear, very pale straw colour with a small white head.

The smell is very weak, lightly sweet and grainy.

The taste sweet and malty with some earthy hops and green tea in the finish. It's not bad but I'd expect the hops to be more prominent even in an english style ipa.

The mouthfeel is light with medium carbonation.

Overall not bad but if I want an english ipa I'd much rather go with samuel smiths.

3.94/5  rDev +2.3%

Appearance - golden color with beige head

Smell - lemon, lime, citrus, orange marmalade

Taste - lemon, lime, green tea, orange marmalade

Mouthfeel - medium bodied, high carbonation, sweet upfront, enough bitterness to keep balance, good flavor in the aftertaste

Overall - good representation of the style, which I enjoyed

Price Point - $4.29/ 500ML BOTTLE

3.74/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Pours an ever-so-slightly hazy honey-gold color with a brief white head.

Nose is dominated by sweet fruity esters, particularly notes of apricot and peach, with some more subtle pine hops lurking underneath.

The taste is surprisingly mild and non-IPA-ish, with decidedly subdued pine hops overshadowed by a solid caramel malt backbone, a tad sweet even. This is not typical for the style, but the overall effect works well nonetheless. The finish is less than powerful but hangs on for a respectable time, drying to a pleasant bitterness with some citrus undertones.

Feel is a little tight in the middle but flabby at the edges, without the crispness that I would normally expect from an IPA.

Overall, definitely not a paragon of the style, but still a very enjoyable brew in its own right.

4.55/5  rDev +18.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

16.9z Bottle, with a best by date of 11/19/14 (!) poured into a pint glass.

I must admit, I am a dyed-in-the-wool American hophead.

Yes, I lived in Germany as a college student and drank gorgeous Hefeweizens.

Yes, I really fell in love with beer after having my first great Belgian, a Gouden Carolus Keizer Blauw to be precise.

Yes, I appreciate great beer of all styles and origins.

But when it comes to IPA's, I am an American partisan. Hopelessly. I've always believed that American ingenuity took a dormant style and revitalized it, history and facts be damned. (By the way, I am by no means a jingoistic, "Amuhrika! Hell Yeah!!" kind of guy).

However, this beer makes me want to explore English IPA's with a new vigor and interest that I have never had before. See, I had always thought of English IPA's as the unfortunate big brother of the American IPA, which for all of it's balance and nuance, is ultimately destined to sit dusty on the shelves next to its high IBU, no-holds-barred, no-punches-pulled American counterpart. Thankfully, I bought this beer accidentally, as a part of an anonymous "mix pack" of large-format bottles. What I found intrigued me and helped to reveal my deep-seeded biases in a way that nothing else could have.

Now to the review.

Appearance: Pours a beautiful amber orange hue with a one and a half finger head that dissipates quickly down to one finger, then goes down gradually from there. Occasional tiny bubbles rise from the bottom of the glass but only seem to come a few at a time. Big billows of patchy lacing stick ardently to my glass.

Aroma: Sweet bready malt gives way gently to a floral and inviting hop profile. Citrus is present, but in the form of juicy tangerines and blood oranges. Yeast adds to the overall fruitiness of the nose, but is never dominant. Very nice.

Taste: Those tangerines and blood oranges from the nose burst carefully, but insistently out of the gate. They are complimented beautifully by a slightly sweet and definitively biscuity malt backbone, ending with a managable, but certainly present, bitterness. Apricots and other golden fruits linger and beckon you to take another sip. A slightly fruity/estery character from the yeast comes out, but never so much that you would confuse this with a hoppy Belgian golden ale.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, quaffable, and pleasantly thin, this beer is velvety smooth. It has very little carbonation, which reminds me of some of the finer cask ales I have had.

Overall: I think I've made my point. This is as satisfying of an IPA as I have had in quite a long time, and I drink an IPA pretty much every single night. The balance and structure of this beer is flawless. It won't please the knuckle-dragger who ONLY seeks out the highest IBU or ABV beers, but if you treasure well-made beer, then give this a try. This is a gem that deserves a greater following. Find it and drink it. Cheers!

4.11/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Whoa- what a lovely English-style Ale. Beautifully clear slightly orange amber color with a dense foamy head.

The aroma really accentuates a phenomenal balance between the floral hops, fruity yeast signature and biscuity malts. I get hints of apricot, persimmon, dried flowers and butter cookies in a harmonious blend.

The palate carries through on the flavors, with the malts coming through at the forefront, a little wave of butterscotch, and enough quenching bitterness to finish it all up. Superb mouthfeel, as well.

At the moment this is reminiscent of a bigger Coniston Bluebird, but fresher and much more enjoyable. Well done, Fuller's.

3.94/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I can't get the original Fuller's India Pale Ale in California, but I can get the Bengal Lancer. 500 ml coming my way. On to the beer:

An inch of foamy white head crowns this toasted orange, yellow hued beer. Retention is acceptable. The aroma shows its English colors of controlled diacetyl, esters, smack of hops, and dried apricot snacks.

Not to be confused with the aggressive IPA's of my state, Fuller's brings a balanced and flavorful ale with an extra wallop of hops. Waves of butterscotch and neutral grain come first in line, then gentle fruity esters and vague fruit skins popping around the palate. The only thing that's missing are the hops, and come knocking on the door and eventually hit with a gentle assault. It has a taste of minerals as well, perhaps from the water. Its carbonation is tight and medium body adds extra to the overall craft of Bengal Lancer.

Just what I'd like per style. Easy drinking as well.

3.42/5  rDev -11.2%

500 ml bottle. Pours hazy amber with short lived, foamy, white head. Aroma is of piney, citrusy hops, biscuit malt, and hints of caramel and ripe fruit. Body is medium and crisp. Herbal, earthy hops, biscuit malt and ripe fruit fill the mouth. Finish is long and dry. Tasty, well balanced, mellow brew.

3.52/5  rDev -8.6%

Pours out a nice gold, inch head, zero lace.

The nose is light grapefruit, pale malt and (I swear it) apple cider.

Pale malts, orange, fresh grass and minerals make up the taste. I swear I taste apple, but it might be my brain gone mad. A little thin and light on carbonation.

An interesting English IPA, but not something I'd get again. I like a decent amount of Fuller's lineup, but this was eh.

Fuller's Bengal Lancer (Bottle-Conditioned) from Fuller Smith & Turner PLC