Harvest Patch Shandy

Gots
SCORE
Okay
Harvest Patch ShandyHarvest Patch Shandy
Notes: Bring out the best of the season with our Leinenkugel’s® Harvest Patch Shandy. It’s a traditional wheat beer that we blend with notes of nutmeg, allspice and clove for a flavor that reminds us of homemade pumpkin pie and pairs perfectly with fall. It’s the perfect pumpkin shandy to pick this season. For an added touch of fall flavor, try pairing it with spicy beef chili or caramel flan.
Reviews: 90 | Ratings: 436 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
realJohnnyHobo from Maryland

3.34/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3

This is a strange one, one that is indeed sessionable and visually appealing. That is if the unfiltered orange-hued pumpkin soda and beer blend is your thing. High carbonation in the pour leaves a nice creamy head on top, esters of allspice are dominating. Upon further inspection, there is a carbon release note that hides alongside that of spice and thick honey notes linger in the deep rears.

Tasting is inherently pleasing. A rush of carbonation, though light in mouthfeel with a dry finish, this is very much a delightful sandy. A huge rush of clove and cinnamon, mid notes of pumpkin, but what really shines in this beer is the honey wieß. Having not enjoyed a pint of the beer solo, this is really jumping at me, throughout the tasting. Really noticeable in the finish with nearly no hop character outside of a mild spicy note you really have to think about in the finish - this is a good thing.

I would say this is one of the better shandy's but the former Jack-o from Boston Beer Co. was much better.

Oct 11, 2020
Scotchboy from Idaho

3.8/5  rDev +12.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

12oz bottle poured into a New Belgium globe; unfiltered pale body with a bright white head and no lacing; solid yam/pumpkin nose with sweet notes and hints of spice; more vanilla and brown sugar on the palate leading to graham cracker impressions, underlying light spice gives notes of fall dessert; sweet-ish, creamy body for such a light brew; this was much better than I expected.

Oct 03, 2020
mikeinportc from New York

3.65/5  rDev +8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Bottle given to me by a co-worker. Thanks, Amy! :)

Barely see-through hazy yellow, with slight orange tint. Looks like a hefe, or a Berliner Weisse. Slight, quickly-dissipating white head.

Popping the cap gives a whiff of nutmeg + pumpkin pie filling. Nice! :) In the glass, it is the same, with some sour lemon aroma joining in,after the head disappears.

Taste is a mild pumpkin pie flavor, with a little lemon/lime seltzer. The spices are not overdone, which is a plus. Just enough to know it is there.

Feel is light, but not watery, with just enough (for me) finely-sharp carbonation.

Overall, it makes me wish I had a piece of cheesecake to go with it. :) Seems well-suited to be a dessert beer. While I won't be rushing out to get a 6pk, I did like it & enjoy it.

Sep 17, 2020
SamuelScott from Idaho

3.89/5  rDev +15.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Great desert beer, tastes sweet like a Cinnabun creamer or a pumpkin pie. Would not drink more than one 12 oz at a time. 4.2% like there other shandys. Would recommend if you like A sweet pumpkin and cinnamon Beer. I enjoyed it however will go with the summer shandy next time I’m feeling a shandy , it’s more of my kind of drink.

Sep 12, 2020
RedbirdRona from Illinois

I had a bottle of this given to me for free by a friend. First off if you don't like pumpkin in your beer you will not like this. This is the first pumpkin beer I have tried and was actually surprised I enjoyed it. Strong notes of cinnamon and pumpkin. For me the taste most resembled pumpkin pie. This is definitely on the sweeter side so be prepared for that. Overall, this is an enjoyable fall time beer that I thoroughly enjoyed for what it is. I am not sure if I would seek this out again as there are currently so many options these days in the beer market these days. Leinenkugel's did a great job on producing this shandy it is just unfortunate that they don't put more effort into the rest of their lineup.

Aug 18, 2020
DrBeergood from Ohio

L: Hazy. Pale straw in color. Easygoing on the carbonation.

S: Big gourd note. Nutmeg, honey, clove. Not heavy on coriander or cinnamon.

T: Light wheat malt with pumpkin pie notes. A little malt followed by buttery pie crust, light cinnamon, very light nutmeg/clove, and a honey finish.

F: Light bodied and approachable.

O: The honey in particular is very well done.

Aug 14, 2020
Peach63 from New York

3.43/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Pours pale amber with a 1/4 inch white head, which dissipates. Minimal lacing. Hazy.

Aroma of ginger, cloves, orange.

Tastes of ginger, orange, cloves, wheat.

Light bodied, Moderate carbonation. Sweet finish.

Pretty decent shandy.

Dec 08, 2019
Therealchris

Best shandy I have ever tasted. Created an account just because I feel this beer is worth a review, and I never review things... don’t take my word for it though, grab you a sixxer and enjoy

Nov 12, 2019
Tripel_Threat from Michigan

3.57/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Served on tap in a shaker pint. Hazy yellow orange in color with a thin ring of bubbles. Aromas of grain, spice, pumpkin, lemon, cracker, wheat. Flavor is different, not in your face pumpkin pie but more wheat ale with spice. Feel is creamy smooth. It's fine.

Oct 22, 2019
izraelc from New York

Leiney's makes some excellent shandys. Pours a cloudy buttery yellow. Thick foam that lasts. You can smell the pumpkin spice. Notes of honey and nutmeg. Finishes smooth and sweet. Most people would say too sweet but I like sweetness in pumpkin beer. Would go well with Thanksgiving dinner or lunch or breakfast.

Nov 22, 2018
Delirium_tremens67 from Wisconsin

4.33/5  rDev +28.1%

I am kind of amazed by this one. To me it tastes like a slice of pumpkin pie with a dollop of whipped cream on top. Sweet but in a savory way like whipped yams on thanksgiving.

Jan 07, 2018
Bitterbill from Wyoming

2.26/5  rDev -33.1%

On Draught at Old Chicago. Pours a cloudy yellow orange, decent foam head and retention. Smells of pumpkin, spices, but they don't seem fresh and vibrant. Taste matches smell, muted flavours or not seemingly fresh. Shandy...they make a couple of decent ones but this isn't one of them.

Nov 10, 2017
Mankowski from Pennsylvania

3.79/5  rDev +12.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

I had this beer at a restaurant the other day. Let me start by saying I am not a big fan of pumpkin beers since they tend to overwhelm you with the pumpkin taste. This beer just has a hint of pumpkin, some clove flavoring, and tiny bit of sweetness which I suspect is honey. Overall, it has is smooth and not heavy on the tongue at all. Bottom line, I would buy this beer or order it again.

Oct 29, 2017
jjamadorphd from Florida

2.67/5  rDev -21%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

From the brewer that seems to try to focus on the shandy style...

Decent coloration with a head that had some staying power. The smell had some honey to it a tad of hoppiness and the wheaty smell associated with this style. The rest of the brew was okay, mouthfeel was very carbonated but crisp, and the taste was more something akin to Seagrams than anything else. Not necessarily a bad beer, but nothing spectacular. I'll be sure to share this with my daughter...

Oct 13, 2017
hdf561 from Virginia

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass, 2 finger head that lasts, lasting lacing as well.

Smells like honey and vanilla with light hints of some spice no pumpkin

It’s a cloudy yellow look.

Taste is honey, light spice taste, no pumpkin at all...this is a honey beer.

It is smooth and very drinkable and has a tremendous flavor but it is not a fall beer. I think this would be better named honey Shandy not harvest patch. It is a good beer just not what I was expecting for a fall beer, well worth trying.

Oct 04, 2017
NeroFiddled from Pennsylvania

3.68/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Co. "Leinenkugel's Harvest Patch Shandy"
12 fl. oz. brown glass bottle, coded "DEC1117 20011627" and sampled on SEP0517
$2 @ Weis, Conshohocken, PA

I have to admit that I was a little hesitant to try this one, but I think it works out fine in the end. It doesn't seem at all like a pumpkin pie flavored soda as I'd expected, and it actually has a bit of toastiness to it. Whether that's from malt or some kind of flavoring I don't know, but the wheat comes through nicely. I get cinnamon, just a bit, not too much - just the right amount, a touch of sweet honey, soft clove, and some nutmeg. It finishes dry and lightly spicy with some residual apple flavor. I always like to have "pumpkin" beers on hand for Halloween in case someone stops by, and for myself because it sets the mood, but I also like to keep them around through Thanksgiving and Xmas because I find that they can pair nicely with certain meals. This one, however, doesn't make the cut. It's interesting, and it might work as a dessert beer, even paired in cooking, but I think overall it's a bit light and maybe a touch 'spritzy'. I could be wrong though. I don't think it's their best shandy but it's unique and interesting.

Sep 05, 2017
Smakawhat from Maryland

3.82/5  rDev +13%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Poured from the bottle into a nonic pint glass.

Murky brown to orange body color, with a very opaque body appearance. There is some carbonation occasionally, a few very fast rising bubbles. Head is fluffy white in color with a three finger tall head. Settles slowly, creamy to small soapy quality and a good one finger puck.

Pumpkin and a bit of crusty pie dough, with mixing nutmeg like spices hit the nose with ease. A nice sweetness is behind this also that isn't horribly sugary, with some degree of hinting malt depth. Gets a little oily heat and spice interestingly as well, with a good balance between warmth and sweetness. Pretty solid aroma.

Palate is not really full of surprises here, other than things are in well put together shape. Spice clove and nutmeg flavors on first sip, with a good light pumpkin puree flavor in the mid palate. Slightly crusty and nicely sweet with shandy like fruit qualities of apple and cinnamon getting in the mix as well. Quite a clean fruity finish as well.

A pretty decent pumpkin brew in a shandy vein, definitely much more enjoyable for me who isn't a big pumpkin beer fan.

Jan 28, 2017
Ctb6582 from Maryland

4.04/5  rDev +19.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Poured cloudy from a 16oz can. Minimal head and lacing. On the nose, it's cloves, honey, allspice, and nutmeg. There's some pumpkin in the background, which fits as there's pumpkins on the can. Pumpkin-pie-in-a-can is a bit of a stretch, but on a 75 degree day after Christmas in Memphis, it's pretty refreshing.

Dec 26, 2016
Beersoldier from Washington

1.14/5  rDev -66.3%

I love beer. This one made me get an account. It's that bad. It's a seasonal fail. I will try their others to attempt to be fair. But that was unfortunate at best.

Dec 23, 2016
mattroc000 from Florida

3.47/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.25

The smell of pumpkin is the strongest part of the pumpkin flavour; the taste of it is almost absent. It's a decent light beer due to the wheat beer being mixed with a soft drink. This means it has less of a beer taste and more of a soft drink taste.

Oct 31, 2016
shawnblc from Mississippi

3.15/5  rDev -6.8%

I felt like trying something a little out of the ordinary and that's just what I got. The first sip, straight out of the ice cold bottle, was Hmmmm ... interesting. I taste a little pumpkin, a little cinnamon, some nutmeg...and another "Hmmm this is interesting". About half way through the bottle now the pumpkin, cinnamon and nutmeg begin to taste like potpourri. After a week, I still have 5 bottles left.

Oct 25, 2016
RJLarse from Washington

3.26/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Part of a Fall Sampler 12-pack. Poured in to a pint glass.

Pours a pale gold color, hazy, with a fizzy thin white head.

Smells like pie spices. Nutmeg, cinnamon, etc.

Taste is a citrus and pis spice flavor. Something of a lemonade backbone.

Mouthfeel is thin and crisp, with a bitter lemon character. A lot of carbonation.

Overall an OK brew. I'm not sure a pumpkin shandy really works. I'd be looking for less carbonation and more body in a Fall ale.

Oct 17, 2016
bubseymour from Maryland

4.23/5  rDev +25.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

This is actually a very tasty pumpkin beer. Light overall but very tasty pumpkin flavors going on here. Nothing artificial at all. One of the more drinkable pumpkin brews. Highly recommend this one.

Oct 16, 2016
damndirtyape from Ohio

2.95/5  rDev -12.7%

12oz bottle, best before 10/31/16. Served in a shaker pint glass.

Appearance: Translucent gold, with some hints of orange. Thin white ring. No lacing.

Smell: Pumpkin pie spices - nutmeg, allspice, hint of cinnamon, with a bit of mustiness underneath it.

Taste: Pumpkin pie spice again - quite a bit on the sweet side with little to no beer flavor. I'd classify this as a malt based beverage used to carry a flavor, which I suppose makes it a shandy, but, the underlying beer flavor is missing.

Mouthfeel: Fizzy, a bit watery.

Overall / Drinkability: I got this for free as part of leftovers from a beer tasting I hosted, and.....well, I'm glad it was free. It's more like a pumpkin pie flavored soda than a shandy or a beer. Not very drinkable and overly sweet. Looks okay, smells okay, but is missing in other areas.

Oct 05, 2016
Cylinsier from Pennsylvania

3.22/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

12 oz

Pours a slightly hazy lemon gold, sugar white head dissipates quickly to a lacing.

Smells of pumpkin, cinnamon, allspice, and nutmeg. Lemon citrus in there somewhere as well.

Tastes of pumpkin, cinnamon, lemon drop, and sugar. Almost like a pumpkin soda pop.

Light to medium body with a soft carbonation.

As a pumpkin shandy, it is exactly what you would expect, at least if you have had other beers from Leinenkugel. Sweet, light, drinks easy enough. Really nothing "beer" about this though. It's not bad per se, just feels more like a hard soda than a beer.

Oct 02, 2016