Leinenkugel's Red Lager

Notes:
Reviews: 327 | Ratings: 881 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
3.75/5  rDev +20.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I am giving this short review on memory of it from living in Minnesota and Michigan and enjoying a lot of it many times. If I can find it again I will try it again, so that should say enough about it.

Leinenkugel's Red Lager brewed by Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company, with an ABV of 4.90% This Vienna Lager pours out of a 12oz glass bottle into a pint beer. The brew has a nice reddish copper color to it with a nice small white head. There is some nice spotty lacing to this brew, it sticks to the side of the glass well. Really digging the copper color of this brew. The smell is rich with sweet malts and grains. Then a nice mix of hops an mirror roasted goodness. So far Leinenkugel's Red Lager is a nice inviting brew. Now for the taste, it is Bold with flavors. You pick up on roasted grains and malts mixed with sweetness. This brew is really easy going down. The body of this brew is a solid medium. There is nothing overpowering about Leinenkugel's Red Lager, it has a super nice balance to it. This brew would go nice with dinner or cool day. The mouth feel is Bold, Rich, Clean, Smooth and Refreshing. Overall I am going to give Leinenkugel's Red Lager a solid 4 out of 5. I would definitely look this brew up again giving the opportunity to. Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company, did a real nice job with Vienna Lager.

3.76/5  rDev +20.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Pours clear copper with lots of visible carbonation and a large bubble soapy off white head that settles into the beer.

Smel is fairly plain with a normal lager smell of malts and grains. Seems to be a clean lager smell like the adjunct was left out of this one.

Taste picks up on some nice light hop presence. A faint caramel comes out on the taste. Some malty sweetness. All flavors are faint lending one to searching for them within the beer.

Mouth feel is fairly light with a crisp finish.

This was the fourth installment in a mix pack from Leinenkugels. All of these beers while good to very good did have a tendency to be a bit light on flavor, smells and mouth feel. The Red Lager would be just behind the Northwoods Lager if I were ranking them. So really a pretty good showing for this tasty beer.

3.66/5  rDev +17.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Pours a clear copper with a nice khaki head that lingers for a bit. Scent is, frankly, nearly indiscernible. Maybe a touch of malty sweetness. Taste is unexpected, and maybe even challenging; there is the standard malty fullness, but there is a kick of hops, particularly in the middle and on the back, that kicks you into proper balance. Mouthfeel is nice; balanced and smooth. Overall, this was a surprisingly good beer given its brewer and score on here. I'd revisit without hesitation, if not seek it out.

3.91/5  rDev +25.3%

Nice Vienna Lager, nice tannin in finish. One of the the first non-ALL beers I ever drank. When it was regularly available it was always a top pick. It is my second favorite Vienna Lager, a style that is not common to find.

2.25/5  rDev -27.9%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

“Vienna-style lager with three varieties of specialty barley malts, hand-selected cluster and Mt. Hood hops.” I picked up a variety pack of Leinie’s, which includes this temporarily unretired beer. Kind of dry, but with a pleasant bitterness. The aftertaste is a bit off. Easy to drink, but the wrong kind of character for me. 2017/08/24

3.75/5  rDev +20.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured a clear, red-twinged brown with a more than adequate light tan head. I wanted to make sure I got a good sense of the nose so I went for a bigger head than usual. The nose wasn’t brilliant, just average. I picked up the caramel malts, mildly toasty. Nothing big on the nose which I thought was unfortunate.

3.67/5  rDev +17.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

From the 12 fl. oz. bottle with a Best By date of Nov 26, 2018. Sampled September 29, 2018.

Attractive looking beer for sure with its reddish-amber colored pour, off-white head, and decent clarity.

Big malt sweetness on the nose of caramel mainly. Some grass. A faint meaty fruit character (like apple/pear). Low hop profile generally.

Medium body. Smooth.

A sweet malt experience in the taste with a slightly bitter finish rounding it up at the end. Not bad.

3.53/5  rDev +13.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a clear crisp amber color. Thin off-white head dissipates rather quickly leaving just a small slick of foam on top of the beer.

Smell has notes of bready malts, toasted bread, and some earthy tones. Very subtle and simple.

Taste follows the nose with some bready malts up front. Touch of honey sweetness and some wonder bread. Earthy somewhat spicy hops on the finish. Simple, straightforward, and pretty well done.

Feel is light, a tad on the thin side, mild carbonation, smooth semi-dry finish.

Overall a solid Vienna lager from Leinenkugels. Its nothin flashy, but its well executed and one Id drink again.

3.51/5  rDev +12.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12oz bottle bb 10/23/17 poured into a Vienna style mug at fridge temp. No ABV listed on bottle. This has been unretired for the 2017 fall variety pack. The beer pours a bright, rich amber color with abundant khaki head. The head persists at a 1/8" and there is noticeable lacing. The aroma is toasted malt. The taste is more toasty, bready malts with a little cancelling bitterness coming in on the finish. Mouthfeel is medium bodied, softly carbonated and dry. There is a hint of yeast aftertaste, it's only there if you are really looking for something to fault. Overall, good. I literally bought this mix pack because it had the first Oktoberfest beers this season. This and the collab anniversary beer are pretty solid. The regular Oktoberfest is poor and the original lager was a let down, although I was happy to get to try it.

3.18/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Some good friends of my wife and I were having an open house party this past weekend and I found this in the beer fridge. Since this was one of the beers that I had not tried I thought I'd give it a shot.

This beer pours a copper hue that is slightly red and clear with light carbonation and a light, frothy, white head that dissipates to a thin lacing that is retained. 3.75/5 The aroma is malt centric with a bit of caramel and white bread. The aroma is fairly one dimensional and nothing to get real excited about. The hops are fairly clean and a bit grassy but they are more of an undertone than anything. 3.25/5 The flavor profile has a slight metallic undertone that continues for the length of time that the beer is in your mouth, and then a bit afterwards too. A bit of caramelized malt and white bread comes through with hops that are a bit grassy. The flavor is really a bit underwhelming, creating a very light drinking experience. Bitterness is light and lingers lightly after swallowing. 3/5 This is a light bodied, low carbonation, smooth beer that is almost creamy at times. It is also lightly drying on the back end with a light lingering dryness. 3.25/5 This is an ok Vienna. I can't say that I disliked it, but I can't say that I liked it either. I'm fairly ambivalent towards it, honestly. This is a decent beer for a warm day when you're craving something other than a pilsner. 3.25/5

3.07/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

Its a decent looking beer, the red is bright, the clarity is good, the head is sizeable in the 4/5" off white range.

Often joked about, the aroma has been described as Leine-feet. I dunno, I get the earthy aspect of that from the red peat like malt.

Taste, eh, tastes like macro red to me. Malty, not bitter, not hoppy. But not heavy either.

3.42/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Attractive golden red color with minimal cap and lacing.

Aroma of bready malt with a touch of something floral hoppy in the background.

Taste is malt forward in a caramely, toasty malty way with some overriding hop bitterness that goes just far enough to sorta match the malt. More than average carbonation gives it all a bit of bite. Finish is clean with some hop bitterness in the aftertaste.

Texture is light medium with a bit more carbonation than necessary to balance.

Bit of a let down this one. A fair amount of rich maltiness that seems to stop short at the average line and can't seem to advance the ball any further. Enough hop bitterness to notice but the malt and hops don't seem to balance, just parallel runners whose path's don't cross. A simple concoction that seems to be one of these fill in the slot lineup brews that wears the jersey but doesn't advance the team.

3.41/5  rDev +9.3%

12 ounce bottle into lager glass, best before 4/4/2016. Pours crystal clear reddish copper color with a 1-2 finger fairly dense light khaki head with good retention, that reduces to a small cap that lingers. Nice spotty soapy lacing clings down the glass, with a moderate amount of streaming carbonation retaining the head. Muted aromas of brown sugar, brown bread, toasted biscuit, light nuttiness, herbal, floral, grass, light pepper, and yeast earthiness. Has a metallic note in the nose at first, that diminishes in the glass over time. Okay aromas with balanced bready malt and earthy hop notes; with very poor strength. Taste of brown sugar, brown bread, toasted biscuit, light nuttiness, herbal, floral, light pepper, and yeast/toasted earthiness. Light-moderate herbal/spicy bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of brown sugar, brown bread, toasted biscuit, light nuttiness, herbal, floral, grass, light pepper, and yeast/toasted earthiness on the finish for a good bit. Good robustness and balance of bready malt and earthy hop flavors; with a great malt/bitterness balance and zero cloying flavors after the finish. Light-moderate dryness from carbonation and bitterness as well. Fairly clean on lager flavors with minimal yeast ester notes present. Medium carbonation and body; with a very smooth, moderately grainy/bready, and slightly sticky mouthfeel that is good. Alcohol is very well hidden with zero warming present after the finish as expected of 4.9%. Overall this is a pretty solid Vienna lager. A bit weak/off in the aromas; but has some good robustness and balance of bready malt and earthy hop flavors; and is very smooth and easy to drink. A fairly enjoyable offering.

3.17/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

L: Looks great. Exactly how I want a red beer (ale or lager) to look. Crisp and clear, but with deep copper tones. Thicker head than I expected, but it only added to the great look of the beer.

S: Not a big fan of the smell. This was my first Vienna style lager so I guess its the difference in malts that I'm smelling, but I don't love it. Nearly smells like iron to me.

T: First impressions were poor honestly. Weak initial flavors, very watery. Quite malty, pretty much the only taste that jumped at me, so it kept in line with what I expected from the smell. The taste grew on my as I finished the beer though, and it was moderately enjoyable by the end. Not bitter at all and no hint of hops. Could be a good beer to break an IPA binge.

F: Strange feeling. Thin and watery, which I guess is kinda of expected from a lager. It almost had a sticky feeling toward the back of my mouth.

O: Kind of a boring beer. Maybe better on tap, but I cant imagine much better. Probably won't buy it again but I would definitely recommend it for the lager fans out there because of the unusual malty elements.

2.88/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

12/24/15 Chicago (12 oz bottle poured into a standard pint glass). Red amber colour with minimal white head. Minimal carbonation, with a slight smell and taste of malt. Light texture and easy going down. Overall OK offering.

3.1/5  rDev -0.6%

Clear copper with light tan uniform foamy head. Smells of bread in the bottle, caramel, grain, and honey in the glass. Very similar on the palate, but thankfully less sweet and more balanced than I was expecting. I wouldn't call it spicy/boozy, but it is in fact more so than a mere 4.90% ABV generally would permit. Fairly dry and bready and grassy finish. Mild bitterness. Medium body, a bit watery, crisp, and an effervescence that I think goes well with other mouth sensations.

3.36/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

i really need a little more substance in my reds, even when they are lagers. this just doesnt have any meat to it in terms of layers or in terms of body, and it comes through a little watery on the whole for my palate, but i can see the appeal. for a vienna type lager, its not at all too sweet, and not at all filling, two symptoms the style is usually inflicted with. instead its light and easy drinking, especially when you put the heavy cuisine of wisconsin into the fold, you know, fried cheese curds and walleye, that kind of stuff, chili, it just gets so heavy in the gut its nice to wash it down with a lighter beer like this that still has plenty of malt flavor to it. i found it a bit one dimensional, but in the context of these foods, i like it better. its also real well carbonated which cuts grease down and helps it still feel refreshing. all the flavors of a caramely amber ale, with the quick biscuity finish of a nice lager yeast. drinkable if nothing else, but not my favorite of the leiny beers

3.02/5  rDev -3.2%

On draft, in a tall pint glass. the beer appears a clear dark amber color. Unfortunately the taste and smell is boring. it's too sweet, no hop balance.

4.21/5  rDev +34.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

I like this because it is different….and like others have said, a nice change-up from hop bombs. I think it is much better on tap, but the bottles are available and I like it.

for me, it is the taste that I like, stronger than a usual American Lager, but not bitter. I prefer it colder than recommended, but that is my way.

Hard to find down south, so that probably causes me to rate it higher than some. Not a true micro or artisan beer, but a decent attempt by a large brewery to appeal to a different taste.

3.01/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Sampled on 12/27/13 with Arithmeticus
Appearance: The color reddish amber color with decent lacing
Smell: metallic/tinny
Taste: bitter, hops, metallic taste, lingering bitterness, kind of Czech Pilsner tasting
Mouthfeel: light with decent carbonation
Overall: It's OK- not sure we'd have it again.

3.4/5  rDev +9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Here I am at the Milwaukee airport thinking, yeah Leinie's Red...been there done that... Turns out that no, I have never reviewed this beer and here I am having it on tap in its home state. Pours out to nice head that falls down and pale reddish amber hue. Aroma is mild, sweet malt and grassy hops. Flavors is balanced and refreshing, although a bit weak. Mouthfeel is light. overall a decent quaff when burned out on hop bombs.

4.15/5  rDev +33%

I may rate this higher than others but that's ok by me. its my lawnmowing, honey do list, football watching beer of choice.
chill it cold and enjoy. not your average lager as it has a bit of a malt backbone with a hop tingle at the end. nice ruby red color . try it as cold as you can.

4.12/5  rDev +32.1%

To start, I'm going to say that I love Leinenkugel beer. All of them, whether it's Creamy Dark or Summer Shandy, there isn't much wrong I can find wrong with them. Leinenkugel Red is no exception. My only complaint is that I wish it had a little more head when poured. This beer is refreshing and it's aroma and taste are superb. If you are a fan of Red's, try this out!

4.01/5  rDev +28.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Finally found a six pack of this here in OK. Being from WI, I had to snatch this up for a little reminiscing...

Of course it poured out well with a half-inch cream head and a ruby-orange color. This beers taste is well balanced with no one characteristic that shines through. That's why it's such a great beer. Extremely drinkable but hey I'm biased here what can I say.

Leinenkugel's Red Lager from Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company