Leinenkugel's Red Lager | Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Style: Vienna Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 12-26-2001

Reviews by soonerlight:

3.63/5  rDev +16.7%

The deep-amber/copper body of Leinenkugel's Red really does have a crimson cast to it when the glass is full. When held to the light it glows with clear orange highlights. The frothy ivory head settles into a finger-thick creamy cap, annd leaves some very nice lace behind.

The nose is delicate, but offers a subtly sweet and mildly caramelish malt along with some floral and grassy hops.

In the mouth it's medium bodied on the medium-light side, and gently crisp with a fine-bubbled, median carbonation that softens a bit to become smoother as it warms in the glass.

The flavor is as you might expect based on the aroma, and it's subtle caramel character blends quite well with its delicate floral and grassy hops. The bitterness is restrained, and needs to be, because there's really not that much malt here... just a tiny step above a standard American macro lager. It finishes dry with some residual hoppiness and a quick fading note of malt.

3.42/5  rDev +10%

Slightly dark amber pour with a small amount of foam. Visible carbonation, though it's not all that appealing.

Grainy aroma that doesn't have any off notes, slight fruitiness from the yeast.

Slight bitterness in the back of the throat, smooth maltiness across the palate at first. Yeast produces a vague fruity note. Light and a little watery, slight dextrinous sweetness, but easy drinking. Wouldn't refuse this under any circumstances, it's a bailout beer in many a crappy dive bar.

3.3/5  rDev +6.1%

After drinking quite a few of Leinenkugel's brews lately, I didn't hold out much hope for the Red, but I found myself liking it. A little hopped up for the style, but it hides a lot of would-be flaws. Toasted malts give a rich, but mild malt sweetness, caramel, and toasty flavors. Feels a little less than creamy or smooth, but not watery either. Finish is a little malty sweet, but offset by the added hops. A simple, but solid brew.

3.86/5  rDev +24.1%

This beer holds a special place in my heart. It was my gateway beer to microbrews and craft beers. Back when I was drinking MGD, Red Dog, Icehouse and other ordinary beers, this one was my first "chance" taken on something off the path. Applebee's had it on tap and I watched a server carry one by in a "Brewtus" glass. I said to myself, " I must have one of those". So I did and I enjoyed it. It became sort of an after work tradition and soon after I tried Warsteiner and Guinness and the rest is history. Can't remember the last time I had an MGD. Do they still make it? Anyway, about the beer....smooth...red....nice beer that deserves to be tasted. I confess that I haven't had one in a long time. I can't find it anymore around here. What happened to it? Wish I could find it. I would get a 6 pack or two of it. If it's in your area, try it.

3.38/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

The red lager pours out as an mildly attractive amber color much like any of the red lagers out there. The head is a very light tanish yellow color with little retention. The smell is a little hoppy and a little bit of malts going on in there. The taste is malty up front with some other grains and finished up with a little hoppy bitterness. The mouthfeel is light and easy to drink like most of Leinie's brews. Overall it's not bad, it's not great either but worth trying.

3.91/5  rDev +25.7%

Nice Vienna Lager, nice tannin in finish. One of the the first non-ALL beers I ever drank. When it was regularly available it was always a top pick. It is my second favorite Vienna Lager, a style that is not common to find.

3.53/5  rDev +13.5%

I like this style of beer,drink alot of this on tap in the summer just as good as killians I think.Nothin special but I like it.

4.87/5  rDev +56.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This is one of my facorites that I have tried from Leines thus far. The small was very pleasant, while the taste was even better. I was given a bottle of this on accident while at a restaurant. I am very happy about the mixup or I would have never tried this beer. I would recommend it to anyone looking for a good red beer.

2.75/5  rDev -11.6%

4.5/5  rDev +44.7%

Lienie's red does not give much of a show in the head department but damn, that is one pretty-colored beer. It is crystal clear, slightly effervescent, and a very striking orange/ red/ copper color. The nose is mostly fresh grain with berry notes and faint hop.

This is a crisp beer that starts off slightly bitter and mellows into creamy vienna malt goodness with a nice toasty undertone. There is a very soft wisp of hop in the finish. This is an extremely soft, smooth, and balanced beer. This is probably the best Vienna Lager I have had, althought I'd have to put it up against Negra to see for sure.

3.17/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

4.5/5  rDev +44.7%

4.15/5  rDev +33.4%

I may rate this higher than others but that's ok by me. its my lawnmowing, honey do list, football watching beer of choice.
chill it cold and enjoy. not your average lager as it has a bit of a malt backbone with a hop tingle at the end. nice ruby red color . try it as cold as you can.

2.87/5  rDev -7.7%

12 brown bottle with a bottle code, no freshness date.

A- Deep orangey red color, very clear ... the head dissipates a little too quick for my liking.

S- Mild toasted malt aroma, wet with a caramel undertone.

T&M- Slight crispness, a tad slick on the palate with a moderate body. Thinning toasted grain meets a watery steely caramel malt, hoppiness stays on balanced bitter with very little flavor.

D- Better than Killian's Red, but that is not saying much is it. I guess my point is, if you are going to brew this style it can't be strip filtered and perhaps pasteurized. Lacks that malty lager freshness. Not bad but nothing to go out of your way for.

3.15/5  rDev +1.3%

This brewery is almost a rarity in the southern USA, so I jumped at the opportunity to bring a bottle home from the Leaf and Ale store, in Knoxville, Tn. This one pours an ultraclear, orange/amber body with a small and shortlived offwhite head. Lacing is minimal.

Aroma suggests a malt bomber. Sweet, caramel and toffee aromas are all over the nose, with only a hint of floral hops.

Mouthfeel is appropiate for style, with a light body and lively carbonation.

Taste is dominated by sweet maltiness, with caramel and toffee saturating the palate. Hops lend only enough presence to prevent cloying sweetness.

Easy drinking lager, overall, and crisp and refreshing in the right circumstances. Not very complex, with a sweet malt dominance. Worth a try, but I wouldn't seek it out.

2.78/5  rDev -10.6%

Pours light amber, redish (suprise) Leaves some nice lacing. Not much nose detected. Lightly flavored, malt, slight burnt flavor, chalky and dry finish. Light, redish beer, not really much going on with this one. Another middle of the road, slightly better then Macros brew from Leiny. Pass it by, you/we can do better then this limp and lame stuff.

3.3/5  rDev +6.1%

Appearance: amber in color, 1/3 inch head, high carbonation, clear

Smell: caramel and toasted malt

Taste: caramel, hops, and toasted malt

Mouthfeel: high carbonation, medium/light bodied, moderately bitter with a sweeter end

Drinkability: An average Vienna Lager. I like the caramel malt, but it is rather tame--especially for this brewery. A solid beer that I would not turn down, but most likely would not rush out for either.

3.5/5  rDev +12.5%

3.15/5  rDev +1.3%

Poured a reddish orange , clear , with a thin and quikly dissipating white head. Smell is slightly malty , with just a bit of spicy hop in there. Taste is not bad , a little thin. Some caramel malt taste , slight hop. Better than killians and other big brewery reds ive had and wotrh a try , just not quite enough flavor for me.

2.68/5  rDev -13.8%

12 oz. amber bottle. Poured a reddish-brown in appearance, with a bustling white head that lasts briefly. No lacing. Tough to pick out any distinct aroma, but finally some malts decided to show up. Flavor is more of the same...a rather uninspired attempt at an amber. Others have commented on a chemical-like flavor and I also noticed something amiss in the flavor. Malty sweet and not well-balanced. Finishes with nothing on the palate, like it just disappears. Mouthfeel and drinkability are par for the course. There's just nothing about this beer that stood out and kept me coming back for more. Any beer that often gets compared to against Kilian's can't be good. Pass.

Leinenkugel's Red Lager from Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company