Leinenkugel's Red | Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Style: Vienna Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 12-26-2001

Reviews: 314 | Ratings: 850
3.07/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

Its a decent looking beer, the red is bright, the clarity is good, the head is sizeable in the 4/5" off white range.

Often joked about, the aroma has been described as Leine-feet. I dunno, I get the earthy aspect of that from the red peat like malt.

Taste, eh, tastes like macro red to me. Malty, not bitter, not hoppy. But not heavy either.

3.41/5  rDev +8.6%

12 ounce bottle into lager glass, best before 4/4/2016. Pours crystal clear reddish copper color with a 1-2 finger fairly dense light khaki head with good retention, that reduces to a small cap that lingers. Nice spotty soapy lacing clings down the glass, with a moderate amount of streaming carbonation retaining the head. Muted aromas of brown sugar, brown bread, toasted biscuit, light nuttiness, herbal, floral, grass, light pepper, and yeast earthiness. Has a metallic note in the nose at first, that diminishes in the glass over time. Okay aromas with balanced bready malt and earthy hop notes; with very poor strength. Taste of brown sugar, brown bread, toasted biscuit, light nuttiness, herbal, floral, light pepper, and yeast/toasted earthiness. Light-moderate herbal/spicy bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of brown sugar, brown bread, toasted biscuit, light nuttiness, herbal, floral, grass, light pepper, and yeast/toasted earthiness on the finish for a good bit. Good robustness and balance of bready malt and earthy hop flavors; with a great malt/bitterness balance and zero cloying flavors after the finish. Light-moderate dryness from carbonation and bitterness as well. Fairly clean on lager flavors with minimal yeast ester notes present. Medium carbonation and body; with a very smooth, moderately grainy/bready, and slightly sticky mouthfeel that is good. Alcohol is very well hidden with zero warming present after the finish as expected of 4.9%. Overall this is a pretty solid Vienna lager. A bit weak/off in the aromas; but has some good robustness and balance of bready malt and earthy hop flavors; and is very smooth and easy to drink. A fairly enjoyable offering.

3.17/5  rDev +1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

L: Looks great. Exactly how I want a red beer (ale or lager) to look. Crisp and clear, but with deep copper tones. Thicker head than I expected, but it only added to the great look of the beer.

S: Not a big fan of the smell. This was my first Vienna style lager so I guess its the difference in malts that I'm smelling, but I don't love it. Nearly smells like iron to me.

T: First impressions were poor honestly. Weak initial flavors, very watery. Quite malty, pretty much the only taste that jumped at me, so it kept in line with what I expected from the smell. The taste grew on my as I finished the beer though, and it was moderately enjoyable by the end. Not bitter at all and no hint of hops. Could be a good beer to break an IPA binge.

F: Strange feeling. Thin and watery, which I guess is kinda of expected from a lager. It almost had a sticky feeling toward the back of my mouth.

O: Kind of a boring beer. Maybe better on tap, but I cant imagine much better. Probably won't buy it again but I would definitely recommend it for the lager fans out there because of the unusual malty elements.

2.88/5  rDev -8.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

12/24/15 Chicago (12 oz bottle poured into a standard pint glass). Red amber colour with minimal white head. Minimal carbonation, with a slight smell and taste of malt. Light texture and easy going down. Overall OK offering.

3.1/5  rDev -1.3%

Clear copper with light tan uniform foamy head. Smells of bread in the bottle, caramel, grain, and honey in the glass. Very similar on the palate, but thankfully less sweet and more balanced than I was expecting. I wouldn't call it spicy/boozy, but it is in fact more so than a mere 4.90% ABV generally would permit. Fairly dry and bready and grassy finish. Mild bitterness. Medium body, a bit watery, crisp, and an effervescence that I think goes well with other mouth sensations.

3.36/5  rDev +7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

i really need a little more substance in my reds, even when they are lagers. this just doesnt have any meat to it in terms of layers or in terms of body, and it comes through a little watery on the whole for my palate, but i can see the appeal. for a vienna type lager, its not at all too sweet, and not at all filling, two symptoms the style is usually inflicted with. instead its light and easy drinking, especially when you put the heavy cuisine of wisconsin into the fold, you know, fried cheese curds and walleye, that kind of stuff, chili, it just gets so heavy in the gut its nice to wash it down with a lighter beer like this that still has plenty of malt flavor to it. i found it a bit one dimensional, but in the context of these foods, i like it better. its also real well carbonated which cuts grease down and helps it still feel refreshing. all the flavors of a caramely amber ale, with the quick biscuity finish of a nice lager yeast. drinkable if nothing else, but not my favorite of the leiny beers

3.02/5  rDev -3.8%

On draft, in a tall pint glass. the beer appears a clear dark amber color. Unfortunately the taste and smell is boring. it's too sweet, no hop balance.

4.21/5  rDev +34.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

I like this because it is different….and like others have said, a nice change-up from hop bombs. I think it is much better on tap, but the bottles are available and I like it.

for me, it is the taste that I like, stronger than a usual American Lager, but not bitter. I prefer it colder than recommended, but that is my way.

Hard to find down south, so that probably causes me to rate it higher than some. Not a true micro or artisan beer, but a decent attempt by a large brewery to appeal to a different taste.

3.01/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Sampled on 12/27/13 with Arithmeticus
Appearance: The color reddish amber color with decent lacing
Smell: metallic/tinny
Taste: bitter, hops, metallic taste, lingering bitterness, kind of Czech Pilsner tasting
Mouthfeel: light with decent carbonation
Overall: It's OK- not sure we'd have it again.

3.4/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Here I am at the Milwaukee airport thinking, yeah Leinie's Red...been there done that... Turns out that no, I have never reviewed this beer and here I am having it on tap in its home state. Pours out to nice head that falls down and pale reddish amber hue. Aroma is mild, sweet malt and grassy hops. Flavors is balanced and refreshing, although a bit weak. Mouthfeel is light. overall a decent quaff when burned out on hop bombs.

4.15/5  rDev +32.2%

I may rate this higher than others but that's ok by me. its my lawnmowing, honey do list, football watching beer of choice.
chill it cold and enjoy. not your average lager as it has a bit of a malt backbone with a hop tingle at the end. nice ruby red color . try it as cold as you can.

4.12/5  rDev +31.2%

To start, I'm going to say that I love Leinenkugel beer. All of them, whether it's Creamy Dark or Summer Shandy, there isn't much wrong I can find wrong with them. Leinenkugel Red is no exception. My only complaint is that I wish it had a little more head when poured. This beer is refreshing and it's aroma and taste are superb. If you are a fan of Red's, try this out!

4.01/5  rDev +27.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Finally found a six pack of this here in OK. Being from WI, I had to snatch this up for a little reminiscing...

Of course it poured out well with a half-inch cream head and a ruby-orange color. This beers taste is well balanced with no one characteristic that shines through. That's why it's such a great beer. Extremely drinkable but hey I'm biased here what can I say.

3.46/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This pours a reddish, copper color with a decent fluffy head. The aroma is slightly malty with a slight bit of spices. The taste is fair with a decent malt and spice flavor that you would expect from a red lager. Drinks pretty decent with a likable texture and flavorful finish.

3.86/5  rDev +22.9%

This beer holds a special place in my heart. It was my gateway beer to microbrews and craft beers. Back when I was drinking MGD, Red Dog, Icehouse and other ordinary beers, this one was my first "chance" taken on something off the path. Applebee's had it on tap and I watched a server carry one by in a "Brewtus" glass. I said to myself, " I must have one of those". So I did and I enjoyed it. It became sort of an after work tradition and soon after I tried Warsteiner and Guinness and the rest is history. Can't remember the last time I had an MGD. Do they still make it? Anyway, about the beer....smooth...red....nice beer that deserves to be tasted. I confess that I haven't had one in a long time. I can't find it anymore around here. What happened to it? Wish I could find it. I would get a 6 pack or two of it. If it's in your area, try it.

4.87/5  rDev +55.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This is one of my facorites that I have tried from Leines thus far. The small was very pleasant, while the taste was even better. I was given a bottle of this on accident while at a restaurant. I am very happy about the mixup or I would have never tried this beer. I would recommend it to anyone looking for a good red beer.

2.73/5  rDev -13.1%

12 oz. bottle, served into a Boulevard tulip. Part of the Leinenkugel's Autumn sampler pack which I got for $5.99. Bottle says to enjoy by December 31, 2012 so I'm a little late but I hardly think it matters much in this case.

A - Pours a dark ruby orange color with steady bubbles rushing to the top. Non-aggressive pour yielded no head really. This is clearly the most attractive looking beer in the package so far.

S - Again, the smell of malt and dust are the only smells available. As the beer warms, I'd dare say some kind of dark fruit sweetness creeps out. Although, there isn't a whole lot of action happening here.

T - Roasted caramelized malts permeate your tastebuds, and even though it doesn't feel quite as genuine as it should, this is still probably the most well-balanced beer to be had out of the autumn sampler.

M - Mouth is on the heavier side than Leinenkugel's typical watered down lemonade beers. No real flavor was there in the first place though, so nothing lingers around.

Overall, for a "lager" this beer passes off nicely, but as for being a "red" beer I don't know how well it would pass. Very carbonated though, like the rest of Leinenkugel's mass-produced trill. It has a moderate 4.90% abv, and it isn't terrible, so I would use this beer to introduce your friends to the realm of beers other than Miller Lite or Bud Lite. However, if you're looking for a unique craft beer experience, look elsewhere.

Leinenkugel's Red Lager ---2.5/5

3.97/5  rDev +26.4%

Just the right hops. Too many craft beer snobs have to have over hopped beer that leaves a horrible taste when you belch. I agree that the head dies too soon. Otherwise this reminds me a bit of the cold fermented ales (Alt Biers) served only in Dusseldorf. Clean taste. Good mouth. Great beer.

2.91/5  rDev -7.3%

A: Pours a medium amber red color with a thin white head that disappears quickly and leaves next to no lace.

S: A small biscuity malt aroma with a hint of noble style hops bitterness. The smell is far too faint to be enjoyable.

T: A muted caramel malt with some grass and orange from the hops balance it out.

M: Light-bodied, with a firm crisp carbonation that ultimately has a thin, watery mouth feel

O: NOTHING stands out about this beer. I really wanted to rate it lower but it really is just an "average" forgettable beer.

2.4/5  rDev -23.6%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass. Reviewed live.

A- One finger cream-colored head. Low retention. Soapy lacing. Copper color with a very high clarity. Not very impressive looking.

S- Grassy, some light yeast, thin malts. Little bit of spicy hops. Meh.

T- Warm malts, some nuttiness, spicy hops. Thin and watery flavor overall. Pleasant and drinkable.

M- Creamy and marshmallowy with biting carbonation.

O- Good session beer. That's about the best thing to say about it.

3.5/5  rDev +11.5%

Poured from the bottle into a pint glass.

A - Amber-red pour. One-finger white head. Nice.

S - Kinda absent, really. Barley, malt, almost cedar. None very strong.

T - A lot like the smells. Some malt, fruit, a little alcohol even, with breadiness but not on the wheat side.

M - Pretty balanced, moderate but dry.

O - Pretty good. As someone else said, it could serve as a "gateway" to other craft beers. Drinkable.

2.68/5  rDev -14.6%

Not too much going on here. Basic and plain, actually has a pretty nice amber color, but after that pretty straight forward plain. Aromas of very slight spicy fruit, and that is being nice. taste is on the boring side for me, I expect more from a craft beer.

2.8/5  rDev -10.8%

Red pours a slightly dark golden color, with very small head. There wasn't much of an aroma at all. The taste was rather malty, and yeasty, no other flavors came through. Rather light in taste, no hops whats so ever, and watery. Overall this isn't a horrible beer, but their isn't much here, but it doesn't have a bad taste.

3.16/5  rDev +0.6%

My first review, and my second Vienna Lager.

A - Leaves a thin head which faded quickly. Cloudy, dark brown, not quite as red as it appears on the bottle label but it's actually pretty close. Not much carbonation.

S - Not a very strong smell, just a hint of malted chocolate.

T - Similar to the smell, a light malted chocolate flavor. Hardly any hops flavor here, I didn't taste any bitterness at all.

M - Crisp and refreshing, medium-bodied with a mildly sweet aftertaste. This would be great after coming back indoors on a hot day.

O - The smell and the taste didn't leap out and grab me, but overall I'd say it's a refreshing beer that'd be great for rejuvenating on a hot day. I'd drink it again, and I'll likely buy some more.

2.95/5  rDev -6.1%

A: Pours a nice deep amber color with two fingers worth of head that dissipates into a nice puffy pillow of head.

S: Very aromatic. Nice maltyness on the nose. Caramel with some apple tartness with a hint of pear and light breadyness. Very nice flavors here.

T: Bready biscuit feel is apparent right from the get go. Some of that light tart comes thru with some floral hops and light bitterness follows. Left with some alchol flavoring and dryness on the palette at the end.

M: Light carbonation, but if a creamy feeling on the tongue followed up with a dryness from the alcohol.

O: Slightly disappointed with this one. Comes off at the start with the biscuit dryness and then heads to bitterness from the hops and then a dry alcohol feeling. Not much flavor that i thought i'd have after smelling the nice aromas. Would like to try on tap to compare.

Leinenkugel's Red from Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company