Leinenkugel's Red | Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Added by BeerAdvocate on 12-26-2001

4.5/5  rDev +44.7%

4.5/5  rDev +44.7%

3.38/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Was up in WI for the holidays this last week, and went out for a burger with my brothers, and wanted something light and crisp. Went with this.

Poured into a pint glass. Pours an unsurprising copper red with a thin beige head on top. Decent lace left behind. The nose is mild with slight hop scent, but mostly sweet malts and breads. Good clean mouthfeel. Crisp with decent carbonation. A nice sweet lager here. Light toffee, fresh bread, little bit of graham cracker. Nice beer. Nothing earth-shattering, but a beer I wouldn't turn down.

2.62/5  rDev -15.8%

Upon opening, no smoke comes out. I poured it into a good beer glass. It pours with a three finger fluffy head. The color of the head is white. The body is exactly red. just like the label says.

I get no smell. I pick up nothing. I don't understand this. In a beer, I want powerful robust smells and aromas coming from it. Im already disappointed...

It tastes like water and hops. It has a watery taste that adjunct lagers have. The hops come out in a good way but it does not overpower that thing that reminds me of the adjuncts. Upon drinking more, hops come out a lot more; but its not what Im looking for. I do like the hop taste though.

The mouthfeel is not what I want either. Little carbonation; almost tastes flat. I want more character in mouthfeel just as much as in taste.

Overall, its okay. I like the hops but other than that nothing special.

Leinenkugel's Red from Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company