Big Butt Doppelbock

From:
Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Wisconsin, United States
Avail:
Retired (no longer brewed)
Wants

look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Mar 14, 2015
MilwaukeeCrusher from Wisconsin

4.06/5  rDev +23.8%

If for nothing else, this is the beer that got me off of macro beer and experimenting into microbrews. While this isn't the prime beer for connoisseurs it is an excellent gateway beer for newbies. Liked the roastiness when I had it back in the mid 90's in dark body. Maximum respect. Tell your friends to try this one before offerings like Rasputin... they may not be ready for that yet.

Mar 07, 2015
scaliasux from Wisconsin

1.97/5  rDev -39.9%

Appearance - Dark brown with maybe a hint of red. Small but persistant off-white head. Nearly opaque, but clear. Looks tempting.

Smell - Not as strong as you might expect. Malty with a little caramel, but not at all prominent.

Taste - Not much too taste at all. There is some roasted malt flavor here, hint of burnt caramel or mollasses maybe. This beer is, however, quite thin for its class. Not the robust beer one would expect from its appearance. Not actively offensive.

Mouthfeel - Thin. Watery. More carbonated, crisp than I would expect from this sort of beer.

Drinkability - This is not a "very strong and rich lager." Would certainly rate better if Leinie's didn't label this a doppelbock. Like most who have already rated this beer, I want a lot more out of my doppelbock.

And what's up with the marketing of this beer? Head butting goats doesn't strike me as very Midwestern Northwoods. Just weird.

Feb 24, 2006
AltBock from Ohio

1.9/5  rDev -42.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

12 oz. bottle with a brown and gold shiny label that has one of the biggest butts that has ever been on a beer label. This butt is so big that you can....I mean, the label has two big goats or rams (your choice) head butting over land or a female. These goats or rams are head butting under the Leinenkugel symbol of a Native American woman looking to her right. If you look closely, the goats or rams and the Leinenkugel symbol are in front of a room filled to the brim with oak beer barrels. The neck label has the Leinenkugel symbol with a small sentence about the brewery and they ask if you want to join their club. No thanks! No date anywhere, but on the border of the neck and the bell of the bottle is some kind of batch or bin number that the brewery can only read and not their consumers. Poured into a Pilsener glass.

This big butt was a dark chestnut brown with plenty of ruby highlights all through out the beer. It had this really nice creamy one finger head of this white going on tan colored foam. It had really good retention and left behind plenty of sticky white/tan colored lace and rings. The appearance was so nice that I had hoped that the rest of the beer was going to turn out just as nice as it looked. Long story short, it didn't! It had an aroma of dry spicy hops with just the slightest touch of roasted caramel malts. When I swirled it around, a mild whiff of cantaloupe emerged. When it warms up, the cantaloupe aroma gets a little stronger and conquers the spicy hops and malts. I don't want to know why there was cantaloupe in the aroma. The taste was WEAK and THIN! Not only that, but the flavors weren't good either. The taste was that of bitter hops with a dash of caramel, a hint a roasted malts, and with a slight alcohol head butt at the end. It was more hoppy than malty and that just doesn't seem right to me. What isn't right is all those weak and thin flavors in this beer. The mouthfeel was way too light, heavily carbonated, and with an aftertaste that has more taste in it than what's in initial taste. The roasted malt aftertaste should have been in the initial taste instead of showing up late in the aftertaste. Basically it looked really nice, but looks can be deceiving. One of the best looking, but worst tasting Doppelbocks out there. It's just a dumbed down Doppelbock that I'm sure I won't touch ever again.

Mar 17, 2007
pmcadamis from Illinois

1.89/5  rDev -42.4%

A - Deep garnet brew that appears brownish-black when not held to the light. A nice tan one finger head reduces to a thin cap within a minute, and some nice lace is left on the glass.

S - Mushroom like smell reminds me of pizza. This is not unpleasant, but very odd and unexpected. Caramel and whole wheat bread.

T - Vegetal, mushroomy, dusty, and bready. Again, not quite nasty....but not very good either. I taste nothing of the expected flavors in a dopplebock.

M - Thin and watery. Undercarbonated and odd-feeling in the mouth.

D - Not good. This is far off the beaten path as far as style goes, and the mushroomy characteristics are bizzare and unwelcome. I really like Leinenkugel's Creamy Dark and I thought that this would be similar but maltier...boy was I wrong. Leinenkugel has come up with another sub-par brew. Creamy Dark is the Leinenkugel brew that I like so far. Avoid this one.

Feb 15, 2007
captainhowdy39 from New York

3.1/5  rDev -5.5%

If I was to base my review soley on this being a dopplebock, the score would be a 1.5, This is in not a very good representation of that style. I did however give it a better score because I found it to be a very nice easy drinking brown ale, which is what it should be marketed as,Taste was malty, nutty with some caramel.It was a thin beer with a thin white head. I would buy again for the price I got it at.

May 20, 2015
mrpoizun from South Dakota

2.66/5  rDev -18.9%
look: 5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

I could have sworn I rated this beer before Leinie's dropped it for the last few years. At that time I thought it was a fine beer, although it has never been an actual doppelbock, with its 5.8 ABV.
I won't bother trying to remember my old review, and it no longer applies anyway. While this beer is easy enough to drink, it is barely even a bock in its newest incarnation. Perhaps they just renamed their 1888 Bock. This beer is a very thin, dark lager with just the barest hint of a caramel note to the taste and even a kiss of hops in the aftertaste. It's main competition would be Amber Bock in the category of "too thin to be an actual bock" beers. Very disappointing.

Jan 27, 2015
StoutHunter from Michigan

3.28/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

I picked up a six pack of Leinenkugel's Big Butt Doppelbock yesterday at Krogers. I've been meaning to try this beer and I thought I should get a six pack and give this beer a chance, so lets see how it goes. Bottled on 1/25/15. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks nice, it's got a nice design to it and it's just a little eye catching. It poured a pretty clear amber red color that took on more of a red color when held to the light with a finger and half worth of creamy light tan head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left hardly any lacing behind. This is a pretty nice looking beer, but I wish it left some lacing.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness with the malts being the first to show up and they impart some sweet malt, caramel malt, grainy, brown bread and bread crust like aroma with some clean yeast showing up in the background. up next comes a noticeable nutty aroma with some more toasted aromas showing up with just a slight earthy hop aroma. This beer had a decent aroma, but I wouldn't say it's true to style.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness with the malts still being the first to show up and they impart the same malts aspects that they did in the aroma, but this time they have more of a toasted and roasted aspect to them. Up next comes that clean yeast that goes right into the a that same nutty aspect that I got in the aroma and this time it shows up just a little more. On the finish there's not bitterness with some sweetness taking it's place and it has a sweet malt, caramel malt, toasted and nutty aftertaste. This is a decent tasting beer, it just not true to style.

M- Very smooth, pretty crisp, slightly prickly, a little creamy, on the thicker side of being medium bodied with a higher amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was decent, but it was too carbonated for the style.

Overall I thought this was a decent beer, but I didn't think it was a good example of the style, it just seemed to roasty for a Doppelbock and the big nutty aspects felt out of place too, to me it tasted similar to creamy dark with less roasted flavors and more nutty flavors. This beer had nice drinkability, it was very smooth, pretty crisp, slightly prickly, a little creamy, not too filling and the taste did a nice job at holding my attention, I could drink a few of these, especially in the spring time. What I like the most about this beer was the was the taste, it wasn't bad tasting beer, it just wasn't true to style. What I liked the least about this beer was how off from the style it was, there's no way I would guess this is a Doppelbock if i tried it blind. I might buy this beer again, but not if I want a good Doppelbock. I think this beer is worth trying, but if your expecting a true to style Doppelbock you will disappointed. All in all I liked this beer, I just didn't think it was a Doppelbock, to me it tasted much more like a brown Ale. It's not a favorite from this brewery and it's one of my least favorite Doppelbocks. I appreciate the effort, but I think this beer should just be rename and just start from scratch, better luck next time guys.

Mar 04, 2015
Marraybay from District of Columbia

3.8/5  rDev +15.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Interesting: Doesn't really taste like a classic doppelbock in the german sense: (Salvator, Celebrator, Optimator, etc), but it's actually pretty drinkable. (Maybe somewhere between a doppelbock and black beer in reality.) Some doppel-like sweetness upfront, but not really a lasting one and no bitterness at the close + pretty pedestrian ABV. Maybe a note or two of "metal" early on that thankfully seemed to dissipate. Pretty smooth overall. Not much head or lacing. Noticed a pretty big carbonation pop when the cap was removed. Had with pizza & would drink it again, although I might lean toward having an actual black beer (New Belgium's 1554 for instance), if I wanted something with this type of taste profile and reserve my Doppel-choices for the above.

Jun 14, 2015
aaronh from Pennsylvania

3.22/5  rDev -1.8%

Dark copper beer with a thin, loose head. Nice caramel aromas, with a bit of biscuit malt and a molasses smell. The taste is bitter, roasted malt, with a bitter finish. The aftertaste is a bit of a grainy/husky taste that I've never experienced in a dopple. The mouthfeel is very thin, and the drinkability average. Several of my friends enjoyed this beer more than I did. I just found it to be a disappointment of a dopple. It would be a better than average dark lager, though. I have yet to be impressed with anything from Leinenkugle.

Mar 10, 2003
agreenman19 from Connecticut

3.13/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

Jun 14, 2015
Santiagocpr from Virginia

3.95/5  rDev +20.4%

Jan 22, 2016
ryanocerus from Iowa

Threes across the board on this one. Just average, and as others have said...not bad, but not great. Especially when compared to true doppelbocks. Poured dark amber with a decent long lasting creamy head. The aroma was definitely malt as was the taste, but not enough for what I expect from a doppelbock. It is a decent deal when compared to what can be paid for the higher priced ones.

Jul 27, 2002
wiscokid920 from Wisconsin

3.27/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Nose features caramel, toffee, dark fruit, and toasted malt. Flavors follow the nose, but more sweeter and ends with an odd metallic like finish.

Feb 06, 2015
icemanexit from Indiana

3.18/5  rDev -3%

Dec 21, 2015
NeroFiddled from Pennsylvania

3.53/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Leinie's Big Butt pours a deep mahogany body with a crimson cast beneath a foamy tan head that holds well but eventually drops to a creamy collar and whispy surface covering.

The nose is somewhat limited for the style, but it displays a caramelish maltiness that has some toffee-like and caramelized sugar aspects to it... some underlying darkish fruit... and perhaps even a hint of roastiness (maybe just from chocolate malt) in the background as well. It's not quite as rich and bready as most, but it is clean and inviting nonetheless.

In the mouth it's medium bodied; and its fine-bubbled median carbonation lends it a delicate zest across the palate. Again, not quite up to doppelbock stature.

The flavor delivers a mild, darkly-caramelish / dark-sugar maltiness that's just lightly sweet, and backed by a firm bitterness. There's an underlying fruitiness, and perhaps a thin dusting of cocoa, but it never achieves any of the expected bready/malt quality that the style dictates. Some very limited dark fruitiness (raisin) appears; and there's a smear of hops in the background.

Mild. Drinkable. Not particularly strong. Or enticing.

Feb 21, 2007
StonedTrippin from Colorado

3.18/5  rDev -3%

man, i really dont care for this one, tons of sugar on it, not anything like a lager, and i am surprised if it is one in fact. young and sweet, watery looking with aromas of brown sugar, fake maple syrup, toasted white bread, and slight oxidation. the flavor is quite similar, but it feels a waste of time to break down all of the different sweetnesses i taste in this, suffice it to say its a real sugar bomb, and not particularly true to what makes the german dopplebock such a delicious style. it lacks grain complexity, it even lacks that meaty hearty mouthfeel and deeper toast levels i usually look for. i dont think the alcohol takes it into the right realm either, although with more time and a heartier yeast, this might not be so bad, dry it up a little, ramp up the booze, all very useful potentially. as it sits not, its one of my least favorite beers from these guys, and frankly on the verge of not even really being craft beer quality.

Feb 11, 2015
rodbeermunch from Nevada

2.67/5  rDev -18.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Lots of black oily slickness that doesn't form a head, much like oil on water. Aroma was boozy, thin prune impact, bitterness.

Taste was like alcohol, dirt and tobacco. Not sweet, really the dark fruit booziness and bitterness seems to dominate, drinks as if it was twice as strong as it really is. Anise. Decent artwork but not a beer I'm down with. Doesn't do anything good really.

Jun 26, 2016
bditty187 from Nebraska

2.93/5  rDev -10.7%

I don’t know why I keep drinking from the Leinenkugel well (but that’s my problem). Big Butt is not a Doppelbock, not even close. Don’t get me wrong this is a fine, cheap, beer… a decent dark lager type of thing.

Darkish brown with a reddish hue. The head was minimal. The nose is toasted malt, chalky, and bittersweet. The flavors on the palate are very much the same; the malt is chocolaty but coarse (this hurts the mouthfeel). Some coffee notes as well but not complex at all. Overall this is just an adequate beer.

Dec 05, 2002
tfsimpkins from Florida

1.92/5  rDev -41.5%

Just stop. Seriously, stop. Good, easy drinking, malty beer overall, yet, mediocre at best for a Doppelbock.

Jan 09, 2015
M000077 from Indiana

4.05/5  rDev +23.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Mar 12, 2016
Bitterbill from Wyoming

3.63/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Best before May 5th. From their variety pack.
Pours a dark brown. .with reddish hues. Small off white head of foam.

Smells of caramel malt, hints of chocolate and molasses.

Tastes sweetish from the caramel, bits of grain, molasses and chocolate lightly done. I sense a peculiar fruity note that I got in the smell as I rechecked.

Body is good.

Pretty enjoyable beer this is.

Feb 12, 2016
mike727 from Iowa

Feb 03, 2012
richask from Alabama

4.79/5  rDev +46%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Just bought some, simply because of the name mind you, and was pleasantly suprised and pleased with it

Mar 18, 2016
Doppelmax from New Hampshire

3.83/5  rDev +16.8%

Nice dark copper color. The malt and hop aroma was muted but I was drinking this in a smoking bar, not by choice! I enjoyed the balance of the malt and hops, started out mostly malt but the hops became just pronounced enough at the finish. More hoppy than the typical German doppelbock. A bit thin for a doppelbock as far as mouthfeel goes. Certainly not the best doppelbock I've ever had but a decent american take on this style. Added notes; my favorite Leine so far. Leinenkugel only brews this beer as a seasonal so it was at least 4-6 months old when I tried it. I could drink a few of these no problem.

Jul 29, 2007